John Walker III in transfer portal

9,155 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wicked Good Ag
fatdad84ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like another might not be making the Buzz cut! I actually enjoyed watching his energy, even though he was often over matched.
Basketball and Chain
AG
4 open roster spots now?
Tavares19
AG
Disappointed to see this as I really liked him. He was often physically outmatched but he had skills that can't be taught and always played hard. He often made some very crafty passes down low that you don't normally see from someone with his height. If he continues to get stronger and improve his shot he can be a quality D1 player. Wish him the best.
greg.w.h
AG
Starting over!
Hop
Staff
AG
The days of signing a project kid like this with the plan that he'll add 30-40 lbs. of body mass and contribute in 2-3 years are almost over for the first tier programs. With so much talent coming and going every offseason, you are better off finding transfers and high school prospects that can help you immediately.
Method Man
I liked him as well, but agree with Hop.
bobinator
AG
I'm just not sure I saw anything elite from Walker. I guess he had fairly soft hands for a taller guy, but I didn't see the 'skills that can't be taught' that Tavares is claiming.

I'm not sure I agree that the project days are almost over, but even for a project you need something. Show me elite speed, or a knack for pulling down boards or blocking shots or something.
agwin12
AG
Add Brown and Mahan as well. Guess all these guys came to play for Kennedy and not A&M? Looks more and more like Buzz will have just "his guys' for 2019-2020 season. Maybe not all bad, I guess.
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
Tavares19
AG
I thought he had elite vision/passing ability for someone with his height. He'd often attack the rim in a situation that looked hopeless and then he would whip a pass basically out of nowhere to someone in a good position. Sometimes the pass was so good an unexpected that Nebo/Mek wouldn't catch it. Being an instinctive passer is hard to teach. Other than that though, I agree he was underwhelming at everything else.
bobinator
AG
He did sort of have that Brian Davis ability to almost seem like he was falling down or something and then somehow make a play out of it.
Tavares19
AG
Exactly what I'm talking about, I just didn't know how to describe it well. He'd make a great pass in what appeared like a bad situation
bobinator
AG
Haha yeah, he probably led us in the highly coveted stat of number of times you'd think 'how did that work?'
Tobias Funke
AG
agwin12 said:

Add Brown and Mahan as well. Guess all these guys came to play for Kennedy and not A&M? Looks more and more like Buzz will have just "his guys' for 2019-2020 season. Maybe not all bad, I guess.

Both of them confirmed, or are you speculating?
fatdad84ag
AG
I also believe his defense was highly underwhelming. Seemed to watch the ball alot and then would lose his man or be out of position.
agwin12
AG
Tobias Funke said:

agwin12 said:

Both of them confirmed, or are you speculating?

Confirmed
Post removed:
by user
agwin12
AG
Agree.
Aston04
AG
agwin12 said:

desperately needed to clean house. Don't want second guessing as they get pushed to the limits.
Aggie87
AG
agwin12 said:

All of them came to play for BK. People that came to A&M because A&M are Chris Collins and Mark French.
Pumpkinhead
AG
agwin12 said:

As of now the 10 filled scholarships for next season is 5 Kennedy holdovers (Mitchell, Nebo, Flagg, Starks, Chandler) and then the 5 new guys that Buzz is bringing in thus far. Even split.

those Kennedy holdovers are going to be very important to how well we do next season. Those are some legitimately talented players and will be all juniors and seniors.
txag72
AG
It's all starting to look very surgical.
DukeMu
Well...bye.
DukeMu
Pumpkinhead said:

agwin12 said:

As of now the 10 filled scholarships for next season is 5 Kennedy holdovers (Mitchell, Nebo, Flagg, Starks, Chandler) and then the 5 new guys that Buzz is bringing in thus far. Even split.

those Kennedy holdovers are going to be very important to how well we do next season. Those are some legitimately talented players and will be all juniors and seniors.

Mygod, I love Buzz more and more each day.
txag72
AG
PH (or?), what does the roster look like by position at this point? I've lost track of the new signees. Thanks
Pumpkinhead
AG
txag72 said:

PH (or?), what does the roster look like by position at this point? I've lost track of the new signees. Thanks

The current 10 guys seem to fit like this:

PG/Combo Guard Type - Mitchell/Starks/Gordon
SG/3rd Guard Type - McNeilly/Jackson/Chandler
SF/Stretch Four Type - Flagg/Miller/Gultekin
Center - Nebo

Blackshear if we were that fortunate would be a PF/Center Type. You can see looking at the above how a grad transfer big to add to Nebo is the biggest need at this point for 2019-2020.
bmoore52
Brown?
aggiejohn
AG
https://12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6573
TopoTacos
AG
Really thought he showed some potential and could've developed under Buzz, but I guess that's the transfer system for you.

Hope he winds up somewhere that will allow him to play and succeed.
Pumpkinhead
AG
e.busche said:

Really thought he showed some potential and could've developed under Buzz, but I guess that's the transfer system for you.

Hope he winds up somewhere that will allow him to play and succeed.
It is probably not a coincidence that Walker entered the transfer portal the same time that Emanuel Miller came to College Station for an official visit (this past weekend) and has now committed. The timing sure looks like Emanuel Miller officially decided to come here and that was the final nudge resulting in Walker's decision to enter the Transfer Portal.
rlb28
AG
Walker would do well in the Southland Conference.
CDub06
AG
I really like John Walker. Good kid, good story. I hope he has huge success wherever he ends up. He just needs to keep eating and keep working - he'll land on his feet.
DukeMu
agwin12 said:

It's hard for many of today's players to play for a coach that actually holds them accountable.
StanGundy
Over 800 players in the transfer portal but you think Walker (and Gilder and Mahan presumably) are leaving because they are finally going to be held accountable. I guess there are 800+ kids running from hard coaching. You know nothing about this kid or his life and background. Until you do, keep your snarky comments to yourself.
Pumpkinhead
AG
I think Walker is leaving not because of scared of working hard, but because Buzz brought in his own players like Emanuel Miller who can play the same role. Same with Mahan. Buzz is bringing in McNeilly and Quenton Jackson.
Aston04
AG
StanGundy said:

Over 800 players in the transfer portal but you think Walker (and Gilder and Mahan presumably) are leaving because they are finally going to be held accountable. I guess there are 800+ kids running from hard coaching. You know nothing about this kid or his life and background. Until you do, keep your snarky comments to yourself.
Reality is the snarky comment is really directed at the previous staff, not the kid. Too often we saw kids not hustle and not get held immediately accountable with coach feedback. It got so bad we had opposing teams (ex: LSU) even make "snarky" post-game comments about our guys not working hard.

By all accounts, Walker sounds like a good a kid and I believe we all wish him well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.