Carson Edwards (Purdue Point guard) ATASCOCITA TX

6,315 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiewhoop1
byrdman91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it water under bridge.
When he was senior he ,parents and head coach visited A&M.
They told staff he wanted to come!!! Later in week staff called him and said they going with jj Caldwell!
Carson then goes to Purdue!
Aston04
AG
The previous staff was obviously clueless on recruiting point guards.
bobinator
AG
Were we worse at recruiting them, or developing them? Hard to say.
AggieDPT
AG
He would've transferred anyways if that makes you feel better
Bassmaster
AG
I used to watch him play in high school and would post about him on this board. People would tell me that Caldwell was ranked higher. I don't see how anyone could've ever watched the two and thought Caldwell was better. He was doing this same stuff he's doing tonight in high school.
Method Man
Scouting more of a crapshoot with the former coach.
Leander - Ag
AG
All you need to know
Artimus Gordon
That was a huge miss if true. Makes you wonder what the hell was going on at that time. And it makes you glad that this bunch is no longer employed at A&M!
GE
AG
Falls on Stansbury (to the same degree whatever recruiting success during that time period is attributed to him)
Pumpkinhead
AG
GE said:

Falls on Stansbury (to the same degree whatever recruiting success during that time period is attributed to him)

The primary recruiter of Caldwell actually WAS Rick Stansbury.
Skull Session
Rick didn't do BK any favors with that one. He could have had Collins scholarship.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

That was a huge miss if true. Makes you wonder what the hell was going on at that time. And it makes you glad that this bunch is no longer employed at A&M!

In that same recruiting class they landed a guy named Robert Williams who turned out to be a NBA lottery level pick talent.

I think their mistake in Caldwell wasn't the talent evaluation. He was a heralded recruit. It was not cutting bait sooner than they did when the kid didn't have his act together off the court. I got the sense Caldwell's signing was part of the equation for why they felt comfortable enough to run Alex Robinson off before the 2015-2016 season. They had brought in the grad transfer Anthony Collins for just that season, and then they planned on having Caldwell.

In terms of roster management mistakes looking back in the Kennedy era, Caldwell maybe near the top in terms of most damaging.
Bassmaster
AG
I understand what you are saying, but how was Caldwell a heralded recruit? I understand he was ranked high, but how? He never showed anything in his limited opportunities. He doesn't have half of what Carsen Edwards has.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Bassmaster said:

I understand what you are saying, but how was Caldwell a heralded recruit? I understand he was ranked high, but how? He never showed anything in his limited opportunities. He doesn't have half of what Carsen Edwards has.
Partly because was a stud on the AAU circuit. Was 4-star ranking and considered a Top-10 player in Texas and Top-60-ish player nationally by the recruiting services.

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/jj-caldwell-pg-2016

https://247sports.com/player/jj-caldwell-71743/

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/highschool/article/It-s-a-bumper-crop-of-high-school-point-guards-6637202.php

Quote:

Monday's Season Opener, a four-game card at the Campbell Center, wasn't just the official start of the UIL basketball season.

It was proof of how deep and talented the Houston point-guard pool has become. The city's best senior point guards in years were under one roof for one night.

Yates' Jacob Young, Atascocita's Carsen Edwards, Cypress Lakes' De'Aaron Fox and J.J. Caldwell with the Sports Association of Texas for Christian Homeschoolers are the torch-bearers for what could be Houston's best class of floor generals in more than a decade.

94chem
We got the wrong kid out of Atascocita.
Nino Brown
Coached against and have known Carsen since he was in the 7th grade. Good kid and very happy for him.
EXCELL
Quote:

Houston's best class of floor generals in more than a decade
We haven't even had a light colonel in a LONG time
Isaih Smollett
Still don't understand why Caldwell was so highly rated. Guards who can't shoot are worthless nowadays
JJxvi
AG
It's kinda masked by the fact that for the most part, any idiot can see a dude walking down the street and go "Damn, I bet that guy can play" but it seems to me (granted not in the game) that there definitely is still quite a bit of people within the sport who value the "wrong" set of skills. Scouting the smallest (or most normal sized) players is probably the toughest.
Aston04
AG
machine20 said:

Still don't understand why Caldwell was so highly rated. Guards who can't shoot are worthless nowadays
AMEN. I kept saying that when I heard the hype when he was recruited and when he played the first few games. Kid can't shoot- didn't see him being a game changer.

Same concern for Wheeler. Although, from tape (which of course is flawed way to evaluate) I like that he seems more careful with the basketball. Maybe a tad shiftier than Caldwell too.
Bassmaster
AG
machine20 said:

That's the point I was attempting to make when I asked how he was ranked so high. I understand he was, but why? I don't understand how anyone could have watched him and justified his ranking.
94chem
I'm just gonna pretend that Edwards went to A&M, then transferred to Purdue.
DukeMu
Aston04 said:

or developing them. Except Caruso - but he and his dad development him.
DukeMu
machine20 said:

...and we heard he was the missing piece from staph all year when Caldwell was out due to academics.
PatAg
AG
Then he was suddenly the problem too
_lefraud_
AG
This guy is having a night
jmcfar_98
AG
_lefraud_ said:

This guy is having a night

Not just a night. How about the entire tournament.
TyHolden
AG
94chem said:

like drew brees
Pumpkinhead
AG
DukeMu said:

Aston04 said:

The TexAgs narrative used to be that Stansbury recruited and developed everybody on that team that won the SEC. Now, the TexAgs narrative for some is apparently that even Stansbury was useless and the players developed themselves...with no coaching assistance whatsoever (well, with maybe some help from their parents).
94chem
BlueDeviledAg said:

94chem said:

like drew brees

Seems like somebody already said that.
mazzag
AG
He had 42 points tonight. Purdue has a 7'er in single digits. Painter doesn't like points in the paint. Still glad they lost.
Aston04
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

DukeMu said:

Aston04 said:

The TexAgs narrative used to be that Stansbury recruited and developed everybody on that team that won the SEC. Now, the TexAgs narrative for some is apparently that even Stansbury was useless and the players developed themselves...with no coaching assistance whatsoever (well, with maybe some help from their parents).
there's no purpose with the finger pointing of who on the staff sucked or not. Bottom line: recruiting and/or development was really weak at pg (except for Alex). So bad we end up playing walk-ons who can't shoot for at least half his tenure, because our staff can't get their sh&t together with a deeper roster. Overall, coaching was suspect as well given the underachievement we saw most seasons. Moving on.
aggiewhoop1
AG
Throw me over the Jericho Wall if this is true.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.