Starks is the most selfish

8,460 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
WestHillsAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Player I have seen in a long time. Also very low basketball iq.
Rydyn
AG
He didn't look like he wanted to play tonight.
We live on a tax farm as free range humans.
TjgtAg08
AG
Thats 100% coaching. Typical Kennedy garbage. What a freaking joke. My blind dog could have managed those last 2 possessions better.
e cartman
AG
9-34 is in NO way 100% coaching
GE
AG
Lazy. Should have kept him on the bench.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Doesn't appear that BK is too upset with him. I guess we don't know what is said in the huddle and locker room, but he took the lions share of the shots and they were just play ground ball, throw them up.
speedy
AG
Starks and Collins should not even be on the team. Absolutely ugly.
WestHillsAg
AG
May be looking at 10-12 wins if Starks keeps playing like this
TopoTacos
AG
I don't care about the cold shooting, guys have cold streaks all the time. What I absolutely care about is watching him kill any ball movement and jack up contested 3s and trying to 1v3 defenders in the lane.

Dude plays like an ***hole and it's already cost us a game at home against UC ****ing IRVINE! If Kennedy was a decent coach he would bench him until Starks decides to be a teammate.
CypressAg09
AG
What did Collins do that was so bad? If he plays the last ten minutes we probably win. Starks has about 4 turnovers and 6 missed shots including getting blocked twice on layups in two last 10 minutes. Terrible.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Starks may single-handily kill this team if he doesn't 'get it'. desperately need Gilder and Mitchell back so that they can more easily sit him; these first two games, he been awful...actually they maybe should have just sat him even without Gilder or Mitchell...he has been that dang bad.
CypressAg09
AG
Gilder and Mitchell need to suck it up and play. Starks needs to transfer
Wicked Good Ag
Everybody ridiculed me in another thread when I said Starks was not all SEC even second team.
Who is the leader of this team ?? Last year it was Wilson until he went down. It can't be Starks so who is it. Gilder doesn't seem to have the temperament for the leadership role unless we have a silent leader.
Collins didn't do anything wrong tonight except miss a couple of threes that looked better than anything Starks did.
We quit going inside and relied on three point shots when they had their bigs in foul trouble from the beginning.
speedy
AG
With Collins on the floor we are playing with four. The other team does not even attempt to guard him.
Aston04
AG
speedy said:

With Collins on the floor we are playing with four. The other team does not even attempt to guard him.
this. Collins can't be the answer. Not sure if he ever knocks down shots in practice, but he never has in games.
TjgtAg08
AG
IMO, if Collins had been running the point for those last 2 possessions, we would have AT LEAST gotten one good luck at the basket within our actual offense.
CDub06
AG
Just gonna say that I was able to go to a practice and the dude was shooting out of his mind. I was blown away and expected a new player on the court this season. It earned a little bit more goodwill from me.
CypressAg09
AG
If Collins plays the last ten minutes instead of Starks, we win that game.
czar_iv
AG
CypressAg09 said:

That's true but what about the rest of the season. Collins is an average college PG at the very best.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
TjgtAg08
AG
czar_iv said:

CypressAg09 said:

That's true but what about the rest of the season. Collins is an average college PG at the very best.
For sure, and we are going to have to ride with Starks and hope he starts making some shots - we've seen that he can, and I believe that he will.

But regardless, you have to coach each game to win. In the last minute or so, blindly allowing Starks, who had been ice cold all game, to have complete control of the offense is embarrassing.

We don't have a go-to guy right now. You can't force Starks to be that guy every time or just blindly allow him to be ... every game is different, every situation is different. If BK is just going to ride Starks all season, then we are going to lose A LOT of games just like this one for absolutely no reason.

If we had gotten a good shot up in our second to last possession, and then showed urgency to get down the court with six seconds left, stress the defense and drive but missed, I wouldn't be nearly as mad. I'd be frustrated, but, hey, its a young team missing (probably) its two best players.

It looked like nobody on the bench GAF in the last minute. It was lazy. Zero desire to coach the team to a win ... just "go figure it out" and try to win the game. Maybe that works when you have 4 seniors, but not 4 sophomores.
CypressAg09
AG
czar_iv said:

CypressAg09 said:

I don't disagree, but I car about tonight. Starks was awful last game and awful tonight. Put his ass on the bench tonight and then see what happens next game
Aston04
AG
CDub06 said:

Just gonna say that I was able to go to a practice and the dude was shooting out of his mind. I was blown away and expected a new player on the court this season. It earned a little bit more goodwill from me.
my guess he has always been very tight in games and his shooting tanks from practice levels.

It's crazy that bk hasn't built depth/figured out rotations over 3-4 years to never use Collins (besides garbage time). Huge liability out there on both ends.

Tonight I would have had someone else besides Collins or Stark's play point. Just dribble up the floor and get us in our offense
czar_iv
AG
Starks is one of the best players on the team. Yes he was having a bad game but that doesn't mean you dont get on his ass to run the team and find the best shot on the final critical possessions. If Starks can't do that now, when is he going to learn it? In all honesty, BK should have been drilling him that all summer.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
Method Man
Collins is awful. Not a d1 player. He tries hard but who cares?
Tobias Funke
AG
czar_iv said:

Starks is one of the best players on the team. Yes he was having a bad game but that doesn't mean you dont get on his ass to run the team and find the best shot on the final critical possessions. If Starks can't do that now, when is he going to learn it? In all honesty, BK should have been drilling him that all summer.

I 100% have no idea what your point is or if you think Starks is good or not
basic8
Starks believes he is much better than he is. He assumes he is going to "the league", Someone will tell him tonight he is the best player on the team.

He has been given great responsibility, but no hard accountability. He'll openly pout if disciplined for a poor decision, or if he misses a shot, etc. Still jogs back after a mistake. He has been given enough DI experience to be more mature as a player.

A frustrating, yet sometimes exciting enigma. He'll get ya beat this way, though. Dime a dozen for now.
sincereag
This is coaching...you teach and instruct your PG how to effectively lead the team. Just like when A Rob was here and then transferred to tcu. He's a completely differentv player now. You have to teach kids how to play and lead. Starks as a Soph should be leading this team and not playing like he's on the playground in Dallas. With Mitchell out we don't have another option. Come on Kennedy...you need to help Starks learn his role as a leader on this young team.
Method Man
A hammer only knows to hammer. You can't turn a hammer into any other tool. It does what it does.
sincereag
I'm not giving up on Starks...he's got game. Just needs how to lead and not be selfish. That can still happen.
Method Man
sincereag said:

I'm not giving up on Starks...he's got game. Just needs how to lead and not be selfish. That can still happen.
Aldine98
Kennedy probably should of called a timeout, but Starks just dribbled down and didn't even look for anyone else why Jack up a 3? Go to the bucket or dish it off just a bad decision
Wicked Good Ag
The good thing about this loss and the way Starks has played is that IF he realizes to win it has to be a team effort when it isn't going for him then that may help down the road. But I don't see anything that tells me from his body language and demeanor from last season and this season that he will learn. I hope he does because I saw some really good things at times
Nebo may be more athletic/hardworking than Willams was last year. I am not saying that he is better but I will take the effort from the new pieces any day of the week.
The two bigs worked hard and dominated the first half with each of their bigs getting into foul trouble in the first half. Most all of the ten plus fouls by UCI were bigs in the first half. We went away from that system with Starks handing the ball.
The question is will Kennedy and his staff be able to teach Starks that trying to outscore your one on one matchup is a recipe for distaster. Starks feels that if he can out score the other guy why bother playing lock down D
Deputy Travis Junior
sincereag said:

I don't see Kennedy reining him in. Last year Robert Williams went something like 0/15 from 3 yet somehow STILL had a green light to shoot em at the end of the season. Another example: I liked Danuel House and Elston Turner, but they took gobs of god-awful, long-range, contested shots and Kennedy was never able (or never tried) to alter that behavior.

He doesn't seem to be the shot-chart-analyzing type of coach, or if he is, he doesn't pass on that knowledge to his players.
TMartin
Does Kennedy have Starks go to one end of the floor to practice and the rest of the team to the other.
Double Diamond
I've long not been a fan of Starks game. His game drives me nuts.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.