Starks is the most selfish

8,457 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
Aston04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Junkhead said:

Bunk Moreland said:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

DukeMu said:

Method Man said:

sincereag said:

I'm not giving up on Starks...he's got game. Just needs how to lead and not be selfish. That can still happen.

...but that would require coaching.
4 for 25 first two games and it's coaching ?

folks , we are missing our best player - it's going to take time. Lots of new players . Patience !

Coaching would sit his ass down and make him watch his opponents when he shoots a ridiculous 3 from the half-court logo less than 3 minutes into the season.

Coaching wouldn't allow 4/25 the way he's doing it. It's not like he's Josh Carter catching and shooting corner 3's and just hasn't honed it in yet.
Exactly. Way too many poor looks & forced shots. That's what should earn him bench time.
It should- but coach really struggles on how to be creative with his lineups... During his tenure, too often has made it a binary choice between playing 1 struggling player or walk-on player.

Whereas, if he was creative with his lineups, as long as the team isn't killing us with a press, we wouldn't need Starks or Collins in there (even with gilder and mitchell out).

And with 3 timeouts in his pocket he could have had Collins or Starks bring it up to half court (if worried about pressure)- timeout and sub him out... But we just stick with easy substitution patterns that don't optimize our chance at winning.
94chem
3 years and BK still feels like he has to put Barone on the floor. Just amazing.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Are we onto coaching now?

Okay, I thought the new assistant coach was going to fix/revamp the offense, but when UCI went into a 2-3 zone all I saw was the same old "five players standing around waiting for the zone to magically open up on its own" offensive strategy.
basic8
Junkhead said:

Bunk Moreland said:

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

DukeMu said:

Method Man said:

sincereag said:

I'm not giving up on Starks...he's got game. Just needs how to lead and not be selfish. That can still happen.

...but that would require coaching.
4 for 25 first two games and it's coaching ?

folks , we are missing our best player - it's going to take time. Lots of new players . Patience !

Coaching would sit his ass down and make him watch his opponents when he shoots a ridiculous 3 from the half-court logo less than 3 minutes into the season.

Coaching wouldn't allow 4/25 the way he's doing it. It's not like he's Josh Carter catching and shooting corner 3's and just hasn't honed it in yet.
Exactly. Way too many poor looks & forced shots. That's what should earn him bench time.
Have to admit shot selection IS a real evaluation tool. And an age old "get hollered at" for being poor with same.
Deputy Travis Junior
rosco511 said:

It is a new year and sure enough we already have our new scapegoat player or players who are the real problem. I am sure I am missing others but I seem to recall similar blame the player threads for Middleton, House, Jalen Jones, Hogg, etc. At what point do we realize the players change but the same problems still remain?

Eh they're both wrong. Starks is playing selfish ball and taking dumb shots just like he did for significant portions of last year. He's ABSOLUTELY old enough to know better than this; a college sophomore doesn't need coaching to know that it's stupid to take nearly-half-court threes with a full shot clock, especially when the player in question is a lousy three point shooter.

Independently of that, Kennedy needs to rein him in, just like he needed to rein in Robert Williams on 3-point attempts, House on contested 3s, etc. etc. I don't expect Starks to stop taking dumb shots or Kennedy to do anything when Starks does. We've got lots of data on both and this is just how they roll.
greg.w.h
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

machine20 said:

Quote:

Starks takes shots because no one else is open and is passing the ball back.

Reminds me of the first 2 years with ET, except Turner could actual knock down difficult shots at a high rate. What an underrated player
Most underrated player of BK era

Kentucky fans gave him credit.
wacarnolds
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

machine20 said:

Quote:

Reminds me of the first 2 years with ET, except Turner could actual knock down difficult shots at a high rate. What an underrated player

The guy that got 1st team All-SEC was underrated?
Know Your Enemy
AG
wacarnolds said:

Aggie09Derek said:

machine20 said:

Quote:

I think he means underrated by the dolts on this message board.
wacarnolds
AG
Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Aggie09Derek said:

machine20 said:

Quote:

Ehhh. Sure there are some knuckleheads here but I feel like plenty of people included ET when we had a thread on building the best roster from players of the last 10-15 years this offseason.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Junkhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Aggie09Derek said:

machine20 said:

Quote:

Yes....probably not the basketball board but most Aggies

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.