Thoughts on the overall trajectory of the program?

13,282 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiesrulegigem
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's crazy is Texas does have zero support, yet coaches call it a top ten job. Mind you I don't. I would like to coach in front of people. But a poll I saw had other coaches ranking Texas top ten.
wacarnolds
AG
Double Diamond said:

What's crazy is Texas does have zero support, yet coaches call it a top ten job. Mind you I don't. I would like to coach in front of people. But a poll I saw had other coaches ranking Texas top ten.
High pay, great recruiting ability, low pressure

Fans mean little compared to those 3 when evaluating job prospects
Double Diamond
Rick Barnes sure loved it despite opportunities.
Double Diamond
Think that's why UCLA struggles to be elite. Low pay with crazy high expectations.
ColoradoMooseHerd
bobinator said:

I think combining those two questions really hits at the heart of it:

"How many other teams would trade their coach for ours?" and "Is this a fun program to be a fan of?"

Maybe it's really that simple.
Yes, I think it is that simple.
bobinator
AG
When Texas is good they get crowds just like most other football schools would. It's not like it's a ghost town.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

When Texas is good they get crowds just like most other football schools would. It's not like it's a ghost town.
I went and watched Fresno State play tu in the Drum a few years ago and was blown away by how few people were there. It was completely different from what I expected. They weren't good that year but it was the first game coming off an NCAA appearance and it was pathetic.
pantherag
AG
Hop said:

pantherag said:

The current trajectory of the A&M basketball program is like having a hemorrhage. You are eventually going to bleed out and crater. Hopefully the end is soon so we can begin to build a Championship caliber basketball program.
If only you had that same mentality with Slocum and Franchione...

Oh and I did as their time was coming to an end, just like BK's time is coming to an end is clear. If only you weren't such a protectionist of your beloved.
Double Diamond
I've rarely found Texas schools good crowd wise. People might be at the game, but it's not loud. Texas kind of gets loud for Kansas or A&M. And same goes for the Aggies. SMU got pretty wild early on with Larry Brown when Cincinnati and UConn came in. But overall the basketball passion is poor in this state.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

What other school wants Billy Kennedy as their basketball coach?
What other school wants Nick Saban or Bill Self with a degenerative neurological disorder?
GE
AG
Long-term we have a pretty good base to build on and have been to sweet 16s two out of the last three seasons. Lose Davis in addition to Hogg, Williams, Wilson, and Trocha and '18 will clearly be a rebuilding year. Unless you're Kentucky or Duke losing 4 of 5 starters and your first man off the bench puts you squarely into rebuilding mode.

If Davis comes back as I expect he will, you're looking at a team in position to be on a similar level with this year's team, hopefully without all the injuries and suspensions.

Longer term perspective the commitment today helps backfill for Gilder in '19 and allows the staff to not be desperate in recruiting a shooting guard between now and then. If we don't sign a high level post in '19 I will start feeling very uncomfortable about the long term direction of the program.

Overall, the program is in a less stable place than it was before this season and before the '15/'16 season, but a more stable place than it has been since BCG left, excluding those two years.
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

_lefraud_ said:

What other school wants Nick Saban or Bill Self with a degenerative neurological disorder?

Is this a serious question/post?
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

Long-term we have a pretty good base to build on and have been to sweet 16s two out of the last three seasons. Lose Davis in addition to Hogg, Williams, Wilson, and Trocha and '18 will clearly be a rebuilding year. Unless you're Kentucky or Duke losing 4 of 5 starters and your first man off the bench puts you squarely into rebuilding mode.

If Davis comes back as I expect he will, you're looking at a team in position to be on a similar level with this year's team, hopefully without all the injuries and suspensions.

Longer term perspective the commitment today helps backfill for Gilder in '19 and allows the staff to not be desperate in recruiting a shooting guard between now and then. If we don't sign a high level post in '19 I will start feeling very uncomfortable about the long term direction of the program.

Overall, the program is in a less stable place than it was before this season and before the '15/'16 season, but a more stable place than it has been since BCG left, excluding those two years.

More stable with 10 guys on scholarship? 5 of which haven't played any significant minutes at the division 1 level? Turge was roasted by texags for "leaving the cupboard bare" and having so few guys on scholarship. Yet, all Turge did was make the NCAA tournament EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. How stable can ya get?

You say things were stable heading into the 2016 season? Talk about revisionist history. Guess you had forgotten about years 1, 2, 3 and 4.

A rebuilding year in season 8 is acceptable to you, especially when he's only made the dance twice in seven years?! Oh I forget, years 1-3 don't count for so many of you for some strange reason.

What was 2017, another rebuilding year? How many rebuilding years does one man get?
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

GE said:

_lefraud_ said:

Is this a serious question/post?
Yes.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

GE said:

More stable with 10 guys on scholarship?
Yes

5 of which haven't played any significant minutes at the division 1 level?
Yes

Turge was roasted by texags for "leaving the cupboard bare" and having so few guys on scholarship. Yet, all Turge did was make the NCAA tournament EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. How stable can ya get?
More

You say things were stable heading into the 2016 season? Talk about revisionist history. Guess you had forgotten about years 1, 2, 3 and 4.
You don't get credit for past wins or losses. Stability is primarily forward looking.

A rebuilding year in season 8 is acceptable to you, especially when he's only made the dance twice in seven years?! Oh I forget, years 1-3 don't count for so many of you for some strange reason.
Rebuilding year after making the sweet 16 and losing 4 starters - absolutely. Dont think it will happen though because I believe Davis will come back

What was 2017, another rebuilding year? How many rebuilding years does one man get?
Yes. Once again, 4 starters left after '16. One man gets as many rebuilding years as he wants when 80% of starters move on coming off a sweet 16. A rebuilding year every 3rd or 4th year is just fine. There will likely be another one after Flagg, Chandler, Starks, Jasey, and Walker graduate.
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

Overall, the program is in a more stable place than it has been since BCG left, excluding those two years.

I like you, but between this and comparing Kennedy to Saban/Self, you couldn't look more foolish.

Turgeon made the tournament every year and left a proven team that everyone really liked. It's laughably stupid to day the program is in a more stable place right than it was in any year under Turgeon.
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

A rebuilding year every 3rd or 4th year is just fine.

Kennedy has 4 straight rebuilding years and then a rebuilding year every other year after a miraculous turnaround. What kind of math are you using to get "rebuilding every 3rd or 4th year"?
_lefraud_
AG
wacarnolds said:

GE said:

Kennedy has 4 straight rebuilding years and then a rebuilding year every other year after a miraculous turnaround. What kind of math are you using to get "rebuilding every 3rd of 4th year"?

He doesn't count the first 3/4 years...only about 4 people around here do.
Method Man
He recruits kids that want to start immediately and transfer if they don't. Sometimes the roster works out.
Double Diamond
Having ten guys on scholarships is not stable. It leaves no margin for error. I guess it's a great excuse for the Kennedy crew when he has no depth.
Double Diamond
GE got what he wanted. And now can get back to full Kennedy back slapping. I would've been curios if GE could've actually seen Kennedy for what he is without his goal being met.
pantherag
AG
I'll hand it to you GE your the most optimistic maroon colored blind I believe I've seen. Keep your faith with Kennedy, just be sure and keep the life preserver by your side.
Double Diamond
Recruiting is back to pre Stansbury levels and this is stable?
GE
AG
wacarnolds said:

GE said:

Overall, the program is in a more stable place than it has been since BCG left, excluding those two years.
I like you, but between this and comparing Kennedy to Saban/Self, you couldn't look more foolish.

Turgeon made the tournament every year and left a proven team that everyone really liked. It's laughably stupid to day the program is in a more stable place right than it was in any year under Turgeon.
I didn't compare Kennedy to either of them. Just said if they were afflicted with his disease they wouldn't be in demand of any high level schools, and rightfully so.

How many underclassmen worth a **** did Turge leave behind? He got where he got with BCG recruits and little else. His only year where it was his guys he pulled off a miracle coaching job to even get into the tournament
Double Diamond
disease Isn't why Kennedy won't be approached.

Turgeon left plenty. And while you call it miracle coaching. I call it good coaching. No chance in any way shape or form Kennedy gets that last Turgeon team into the tournament. Can't just roll the ball out with that team. Needed coaching.
GE
AG
_lefraud_ said:

wacarnolds said:

GE said:

Kennedy has 4 straight rebuilding years and then a rebuilding year every other year after a miraculous turnaround. What kind of math are you using to get "rebuilding every 3rd of 4th year"?

He doesn't count the first 3/4 years...only about 4 people around here do.
I would have been fine if he had been let go after year 3 or even year 4.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

disease Isn't why Kennedy won't be approached.
If Kennedy were 100% healthy and we fired him right now he would have D1 job offers almost immediately
Double Diamond
Turgeon was a darn good coach. That left plenty. Including an NBA talent.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

GE got what he wanted. And now can get back to full Kennedy back slapping. I would've been curios if GE could've actually seen Kennedy for what he is without his goal being met.
How is it that you think I see him? And how do you see him?
sincereag
Why don't we wait to see who else we sign before saying our recruiting is declining. So far we have a top 100 guard and the number 2 JUCO recruit. That's not that as bad as some of you are claiming.
Double Diamond
I see an average coach that's hit a recruiting wall. As why this wall was hit I don't know. I'm dying for tough basketball to return. I want a team isn't allowed to be lazy. Does the correct stuff.

GE you don't care about these things. The means to an end is all you care about. Not the product during the journey. And you keep thinking Kennedy is better than he is.
Double Diamond
Michell is a needed player. But is a two star level player. Will help, but is hardly a star. We've seen it's gonna be about talent. Will see what happens in 2019.
GE
AG
Double Diamond said:

I see an average coach that's hit a recruiting wall. As why this wall was hit I don't know. I'm dying for tough basketball to return. I want a team isn't allowed to be lazy. Does the correct stuff.

GE you don't care about these things. The means to an end is all you care about. Not the product during the journey. And you keep thinking Kennedy is better than he is.
I care about the win/loss column and if we have the players to compete for the next coach if the current coach fails. No NCAA tournament next year and no high level post recruit for '19 and it's time to change coaches
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

I didn't compare Kennedy to either of them.

I had a response typed up but I don't personally how the disease affects Kennedy and his ability to coach or nor do I know his short term prognosis, so it's all speculation and I think it's probably below board to even discuss this hypothetical

I'll just say I hope Kennedy continues to live as healthy as possible while fighting Parkinsons
Method Man
Lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.