In man- Who guards Wagner?

4,702 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LouisvilleAg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm definitely concerned about Wagner going off. He has been lethal down the stretch of the season and hasnt gone off in the tourney yet.
bobinator
AG
Getting beat because the other team's best player goes off is not usually something that happens to us under Kennedy. We usually have a pretty good scheme against whatever it is their best player does best.

A notable exception being Sexton.
94chem
Quote:

Yes. Beilein's teams have always utilized offensive-minded bigs that can play along the perimeter to stretch the defense.
Pittsnogle was my favorite.
wacarnolds
AG
agfan1030 said:

Thank you for your patient and easily understandable answer and to the other comments.

Have the Ags defended a similar offense this season (with success)? I'm somewhat worried about such a different look. (Game last night actually gave me a stupid headache for awhile.)
To me, the defining characteristics for Michigan's offense are:
-very slow pace (#311 nationally)
-a bunch of 3PA (#59)
-no turnovers (#4)

additionally, they're an above average 3pt shooting team (#117) and really great inside the arc (#42), but they don't take a lot of shots around the rim (#301), which all leads to a low # of FTAs (#257). They don't really look for shots out of their transition offense (#180) and they don't like to crash the offensive glass (#270) so they really want to play straight up each possession and try to out-execute you, instead of relying on athletic advantages - which they don't have.

Through the lens of pace of play (with 3PA and TO% as secondary measures), they are very similar to Vanderbilt, but they shoot the ball much better and don't turn it over as much

Focusing on 3PA (with tempo & TO% secondary), they resemble Mizzou, but again they shoot the ball better and are the complete opposite on # of turnovers. They also don't crash the offensive glass as well as mizzou. Mizzou also plays at a pretty slow pace and utilizes a 3pt shooting center to stretch the defense.

Looking at TO%, the best comp is Florida. They don't rebound many of their misses, they don't get to the line. Both teams are above average shooting the 3 and shoot them frequently. Florida plays much quicker, but doesn't have as good a halfcourt offense.

I guess Mizzou would be the best comp, but they aren't nearly as good as Michigan has been this year. ff you ignore pace of play, Florida is probably the best comp
bobinator
AG
For some reason I didn't think about Missouri, that's a really good one.
LouisvilleAg
AG
Wacarnolds and Bobinator bringing some great discussion and analysis!
WolverineSherbs
You compared Michigan to 3 seperate SEC East teams. One with 12 wins, one with 21 wins, and one with 20 wins. Michigan is definitely a 3 point shooting team, but unlike previous Beilein teams, this team does necessarily live or die by the 3. I do however thing that for the Wolverines to win this game, they are going to have to hit open shots and run pick and rolls to the basket.

TAMU's size and length is pretty scary, ill be honest. Michigan State and Purdue are probably the only two teams we have played this year that are just massive down low. If Michigan continues to play how they have in the previous two games of the tourney, this might get ugly and your Aggies might be into the E8.

However, as crappy as Michigan has been playing. Here is a somewhat wild stat though:

Michigan has won 11 straight games.

All 11 were vs. KenPom Top 100.

Nine vs. KenPom Top 75.

Six vs. KenPom Top 50.

Four vs. KenPom Top 20

Two vs. KenPom Top 10.

Nine were outside Ann Arbor.

Nine were won by 9+ points.

PS- Miss Rev approves this message.
wacarnolds
AG
WolverineSherbs said:

You compared Michigan to 3 seperate SEC East teams. One with 12 wins, one with 21 wins, and one with 20 wins.
Who would you compare Michigan to, only choosing teams that we've played this year?
bobinator
AG
Yeah, that wasn't a "quality of team" analysis, it was just a style analysis, the poster asked if we've played anyone who plays similarly to Michigan.

I think people are locking in on the three point thing because that's been our perceived weakness this year defensively is when a team has multiple shooters. Also because we're elite at blocking shots.

Michigan may not live or die by the three, but I think it's a safe prediction that if they struggle from beyond the arc then A&M fans have reason to believe we've got a good shot to win this game.
CactusThomas
AG
Michigan lives and dies by the officiating, not 3pt shooting
WolverineSherbs
I agree. An avg or below avg shooting performance and yall can easily win.
wacarnolds
AG
Quote:

I think people are locking in on the three point thing because that's been our perceived weakness this year defensively is when a team has multiple shooters. Also because we're elite at blocking shots.

Michigan may not live or die by the three, but I think it's a safe prediction that if they struggle from beyond the arc then A&M fans have reason to believe we've got a good shot to win this game.
Of the 16 teams remaining, only Villanova is more reliant on the 3pt shot than Michigan. And only 3 high major teams that made the tournament were more reliant on the 3 than Michigan. Live/die by the 3 may not be the right phrasing, if someone used that, but they most definitely derive a lot of success on offense from taking a lot of them. And they also focus on limiting 3PA on defense.

Beilein is smart, he knows the math and his team's physical advantages/disadvantages, so the approach makes a lot of sense
CactusThomas
AG
Appreciate your analysis
wacarnolds
AG
CactusThomas said:

Appreciate your analysis
My pleasure. This team has been fun to follow, which makes it easier to justify wasting so much time digging into the details.
agfan1030
LouisvilleAg said:

Wacarnolds and Bobinator bringing some great discussion and analysis!
Hey, I initiated the questions for those discussions.
LouisvilleAg
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.