We are a very Un-athletic team

2,732 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by safety guy
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Williams has some major spring, but reall, as the season progresses you can see our athletic ability is subpar. This has become very apparent; other teams are faster quicker and stronger.

Look at our players from an athletic standpoint.

Hogg has lead feet and cannot get his shots off, even at 6'8. He's slow on defense. No spring.

Gilder has the same problem. He's shorter and has a low release point. Set shot really and he's not fast enough to get his shot off. Lingering injury might be a factor? He's not a defensive stopper any more. Again, I think he's still hurt.

Morelos? Total waste of height. Not aggressive if he wanted to be. Again, poor footwork and weak upper body strength.

Davis makes up for slow feet with his pure hustle and determination but he's not any stronger than most 6'10 centers. Love love his work, but not really athletic.

Starks Caldwell Flag and Chandler are still very young but do have some comparative athleticism

This isn't the only aspect that makes this a poor team, but I think it's more obvious as the season wears on. Couple this with the dopey basketball the Ags are playing and the prouduct is obvious.

BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
We suck... no heart
txaggieacct85
AG
This is the most athletic team in Aggie history.. athleticism is not this teams problem. Coaching and heart are.
Method Man
We made the tourney with a starting five of
BJ Holmes
Dash Harris
Nathan Walkup
David Loubeau
Khris Middleton
Zamacuco
We are athletic and talented but no will to win. Good god guys play with some heart.
jml2621
txaggieacct85 said:

This is the most athletic team in Aggie history.. athleticism is not this teams problem. Coaching and heart are.

Thank you for a bit of sanity.
Southlake
The other teams are more athletic.
WestHillsAg
AG
More like no heart and play with no fire. They were never as good as they started but they are not a good team. No cohesion and repeated lapses on offense and defense.
jeffdjohnson
I think you are confusing athleticism for skill. This team is hopeless shooting the ball, doesn't matter how open they are. Not a single knock down shooter in the roster.
Southlake
We are slow.
Southlake
Kansas will drop 100 on us this Saturday.

Watch their athletes.
Tube
BeatHellOutOfTU said:

We suck... no heart

Agree. We are really athletic, but uninspired. Hogg shows flashes of effort with impressive results, then fades away for the other 37 minutes.

We are down double digits late in the game and walk the ball up the floor. ****ing standing around on offense.
athensag94
AG
We should play much more zone. To slow to play man.
Bocephus
AG
You really don't know what you're talking about. Our athleticism is fine. Our ability to play fundamental basketball, not so much
Uncle Jimbo
Method Man said:

We made the tourney with a starting five of
BJ Holmes
Dash Harris
Nathan Walkup
David Loubeau
Khris Middleton

Remember that one time Dash dunked? Was awesome.
Complete Idiot
South lake doesn't get it

Move on
Bunk Moreland
txaggieacct85 said:

It's the most talented team in A&M history, but it is not the most athletic. Not even close.
t - cam
AG
Southlake said:

They aren't. We have likely not played a team outside of Arizona more athletic than us.
Adam87inSA
AG
Our lack of mental focus is just killing us. You cannot turn the ball over with the frequency that we do and win. You just can't.

It's criminal that a team with Tyler Davis and Robert Williams and the depth and experience we have looks like such unorganized trash. That first half was simply unforgivable. LSU is not good at all. And they ran us out of the gym.

Wilson needs to sit because he is physically not able to compete on that knee. Hogg needs to sit because he's a horrible teammate who has disappeared in conf play. Gilder should be one of the pillars of this team and he played like he owed a bookie tonight.
Strike One
I agree with southlake but would include in the term "athletic" the ability to shoot from anywhere except from directly under the basket. We definitely are not an athletic team compared to almost any SEC team we play. LSU's freshman guard was more athletic than anyone on our entire roster and they had more than a couple of guys who could hit fairly regularly from outside.
basic8
Southlake said:

We are slow.
Majority are quite average laterally. And really difficult to judge each one's speed because many trot a lot.
basic8
t - cam said:

Southlake said:

They aren't. We have likely not played a team outside of Arizona more athletic than us.
Not more athletic, not less. Most teams have some big time athletes. Not always the best players, but it should help if they have a skill set. Still think they don't play hard enough, long enough.

And to be listless and aloof at this point is unbelievable. Every team talks about potential if they're not getting it done.
t - cam
AG
basic8 said:

t - cam said:

Southlake said:

Not more athletic, not less. Most teams have some big time athletes. Not always the best players, but it should help if they have a skill set. Still think they don't play hard enough, long enough.

And to be listless and aloof at this point is unbelievable. Every team talks about potential if they're not getting it done.

I definitely agree the effort is killing us but not as much as our coach refusing to take advantage of our athleticism. We have guys like Caldwell and Starks that would be absolute lethal in an offense that pushes the rock. I can't even imagine how good RW could be in a fast break offense with these guards. We try way to hard to cater to Davis which in theory is fine as he can be great in the half court but he should be the fall back when the primary break backs down. It would still be a lot of opportunities.
Ulrich
If we were catering to Davis, he would get more post touches. At this point I can't even tell what we're trying to do on offense. Maybe our plan is to just get the ball on the rim so that Davis and Williams can tip it in.
MidTnAg
AG
Even though we have severely underperformed, I still believe that since we do have so much talent, we will eventually become a much better team and get to the NCAA Tournament.
Deputy Travis Junior
MidTnAg said:

Even though we have severely underperformed, I still believe that since we do have so much talent, we will eventually become a much better team and get to the NCAA Tournament.
You actually think we're going to make the tournament? Talent is great, but you still need some coaching. Look at Johnny Jones. He missed the tournament with Ben Simmons, who's now averaging darn near a triple double in the NBA as a rookie.

This team is a hopeless, disorganized mess that's seriously in danger of missing the NIT.
Bocephus
AG
MidTnAg said:

Which should still get BK fired
Canyon99
Very uninspired play at both ends of the court. I've never seen our team pick up the dribble so early and stand looking around looking to make a pass. This has been a huge problem ob offense over the past few games. That is something you teach 7th graders to avoid.
SonnyPee
txaggieacct85 said:

Agree with the latter, but this is far from the most athletic in Aggie history. Still, it's a team that even Melvin could have taken to the tournament...
Muy
AG
Please just stop pretending "this is the most talented team in Aggie history". It's not close.
Leeman
Every free ball we get beat to. This team is very slow.
Aston04
AG
We have a very "un-athletic" head man on the sideline. Zombie.
John Pugliese
This team is very much on a search for what works offensively. I'm not sure that athletic ability, speed, quickness...have anything to do with losing a game at LSU, and I also don't see those things as lacking on this roster. This game is why it is so important to win all of your home games in the SEC. If you can operate out of your home court with a high winning %, you can have a couple of these types of games on the road, in one of the best leagues in the country, and it won't hurt you. 3 of 4 home teams won last night in the SEC, its tough to win on the road (Arkansas won at Georgia).

Production on the offensive end has to come out of someone besides Rob and Tyler, something I was hoping to see Hogg provide last night. TJ Starks is an option, especially with Duane's injury and his tentativeness to shoot the ball from 3 (both 3's he took in the first half he passed up first, before realizing the defense was giving it to him)..but we have to see Flagg and Gilder bring a scoring punch on the wing. Jay Jay Chandler did a great job last night, brought energy to the court and hit some shots playing alongside TJ. I have no problem with TTM, he has an ability to stretch the defense and understands his limitations.

I'd expect to see some more quick hitters and half court sets out of the Aggies the rest of the way, isolating guys in scoring opportunities where they can be successful. With Rob playing the way he has the last three games (showing why he is a lottery pick), and Tyler being solid (as always), the perimeter guys need to step up and provide a spark.

-John Pugliese
@johnpugliese
Sin City Resident
IDaggie06
AG
Quote:

BJ Holmes
Dash Harris
Nathan Walkup
David Loubeau
Khris Middleton

That was about the end of the fun era for me as Aggie basketball fan. BK has made me lose 99% of my interest.
safety guy
AG
Other than Williams, we are comparatively lower on the athletic scale. That's why, in our half court sets, teams pressure our two guards and sag off of Davis and Williams when they are on out front. The guards don't have the athleticism to beat the pressure and successfully drive to the basket to finish or dish. Hogg is just slow. Teams can sag off him a little and close on him when the ball goes to him. He has little ability to beat his man one on one to the basket which makes him very one dimensional. Caldwell should be the guy to break down defenses but has shown little. Starks has the ability but likes to go 1 on 4 too much. But at least he has some athleticism.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.