An area of improvement going forward.

1,981 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgGrad99
Wearamaskaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not one to nitpick when things are going well or try to diminish any success the team is currently having but I'm going to nitpick on this certain topic. Yesterday, we blew their asses out of the gym, however, as a team we still continue to give open looks from the 3. Now it didn't matter yesterday because they couldn't hit **** and they shot an horrible %, 2-21 or something, but that team averaged about 10 3's per game made, so give about 21-24 points and it's a new ball game. Of course, not every shot was a great shot that should go in regardlessly, but a lot of the missed 3's were wide open. Not every team is going to shot that bad, and unfortunately I think it's going to bite us in the ass one game. Thoughts?
GE
AG
As long as we aren' consistently giving their best three point shooters open looks I am fine with it. Overall defense has been excellent.
bobinator
AG
Oklahoma State kind of sucks at shooting threes, so maybe that was on purpose?

I have a feeling we're not going to guard teams that shoot the ball well the same way.
Wicked Good Ag
We have always under Kennedy given the other team three point shots in the beginning of the game to see if they can hit them while focusing on an elite shooter more closely. This season we can do the same but have the length and size on perimeter to close a gap quicker against a hot shooter or two
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the key is who is shooting them, and we'll do a good job on that.

We're also already showing that we're going to take some risks on defense to try and get in transition.

So between the way we normally play defense anyway, and being a little more risky, players are going to get some open threes. It's just making sure it's the right players.

But getting an opponent to shoot a shot they probably won't make is the entire idea. Last night OSU couldn't throw it in the ocean so we let them keep shooting it. Don't see a problem with that. If they'd have started to make them we'd have done something different.
mdanyc03
AG
I don't think that is in my top 10 for areas of improvement.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
What are yours?
Wearamaskaggie
AG
I agree with the defense's overall progress, I just feel that it's going to bite our ass one of these games.
Ag Eng 92
AG
The other thing that was interesting to me was that we either forced them late into the shot clock (or that was their plan) for a lot of possessions in the first half. OSU was forced into a bunch of garbage shots to start the game. That changed as the game progressed.
miller0926
AG
Ajm1115 said:

What are yours?
Turnovers and giving up too many offensive rebounds would be mine.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, offensive rebounds would be #1 for me, but it's also not something I'm overly concerned about yet, I think we'll get a lot better at it.
amercer
AG
We always give up a ton of open 3s. Most college kids can't really shoot them though
TjgtAg08
AG
My biggest concern going forward is lack of offensive execution in doing what we do best. Tyler Davis has had a pretty rough 3-quarter stretch since the second half of UCSB, and some of that is due to foul trouble, but I think some of that is also due to us not feeding him the ball and letting him go to work.

It is a bit of a double-edged sword in that our guards - Starks, Caldwell and Wilson - are really attacking the basket and playing fast (which I like to see), but have gotten out of control and turned aggression into turnovers and bad shots. Starks especially needs to slow down, set up the offense and feed Tyler Davis when he is in the game.

We have been shooting really well from beyond the arc (and jumpers in general) thus far, and the right guys are taking those shots, so I don't expect us to drop off the map for a long period of time, but we are going to have games where 3s aren't falling and Starks misses those pull-up jumpers from 18 feet. If we don't feed Davis, we will lose those games.

I think it is a freshman thing, which will change with experience and time, so its really not that huge of a concern, but it is what I have noticed the most so far.

The offensive rebounds don't concern me yet, as last night was just one game, and we still killed them on the total boards. Turnovers ... well, that is going to come with young players.
bobinator
AG
This is why the NCAA tournament almost always comes down to guard play though. In college, if teams decide to take away the post they can do it and there isn't much you can do about it. Oklahoma State decided they were going to make sure we couldn't get the ball on the low block, and they had long enough guards to make sure we couldn't.

Now, there was a stretch of the game where I think we let them off the hook by not making them defend Tyler, but for the most part that was a conscious decision that they made which allowed other guys to get open.

What I mean though is that if a team is going to deny the post, you have to actually make them do it so that you get your openings. If they're going to sag/double/whatever, you still have to go through the motions to get them overcommitted or overloaded depending on what they're doing so that you get your opening.

For a while last night it seemed like we knew they weren't going to let us get it inside, so we didn't even pretend like we wanted to, which let them stay in their normal assignments.

Mikeyshooter
AG
Geez, I couldn't be more tired of the posts that complain about giving guys open 3s even though they are missing them. Also, we only gave up a handful of wide open 3s yesterday. I would say for the most part our perimeter defense has been much improved and we are contesting most shots. Just because they are shooting them doesn't mean they are good shots.

OSU was 3 for 24.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Ajm1115 said:

I agree with the defense's overall progress, I just feel that it's going to bite our ass one of these games.
You're right. There will be some games where teams get hot from 3 and we may lose. That happens at every level of the sport.
BrandoC
AG
Even though Hogg is a good 3-point shooter, he is just as lazy as last year on defense. That type of thing will bite you in the ass in big games.
bobinator
AG
I think we can all agree that defense isn't Hogg's biggest strength, but he's doing a little better by basically every metric so far this season.
boboguitar
AG

Quote:

I'm not one to nitpick when things are going well or try to diminish any success the team is currently having but I'm going to nitpick on this certain topic.
hmmm
Wearamaskaggie
AG
I literally told you I'm not the type to nitpick but that I was going to nitpick on their topic lol reading comprehension on Texags a its finest.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Limiting turnovers and rebounding are my big areas to improve.
Isaih Smollett
Turnovers. Especially in the form of low bounce passes to the bigs.
GrayMatter
AG
Complacency is one of my biggest concerns and limiting silly turnovers. We need to continue to attack the hoop and make plays for Williams and Davis. We can't settle for shooting outside jumpers late in the shot clock instead of letting Williams and Davis go to work. Williams looked uncomfortable on the block last night and must continue to get better.

Why nit pick the defense when the opponent is shooting 13% from 3 point land and 29% overall??

I'll take those numbers any day! At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if they're wide open.

If they can't hit the side of the barn and they continue to shoot, isn't that just good defensive strategy??
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
CapCityAg89
AG
boboguitar said:

Quote:

I'm not one to nitpick when things are going well or try to diminish any success the team is currently having but I'm going to nitpick on this certain topic.
hmmm
Yea, I don't mind - it's finally hoops season. Pick a topic and let's discuss. I really like these kinds of threads.

1 - Opinion: too many open threes
2 - Counter opinion: not horrible because it's mainly by design
3 - Follow-up: what do you think is an issue?
4 - Response: consensus mainly offensive rebounds and not getting to Tyler enough

That, my brothers, is good conversation.

Oh, and offensive boards and turn-overs for me. BUT, I'm hoping Rob gets his legs under him (he was a good offensive rebounder last year) and JJ helps with the turnovers. One point on turns - there haven't been a bunch of live ball turnovers like we had last year. I can only really think of one "break-away" for OSU last night and Rob responded quickly with the 3/4 court pass for a layup on the other end.
bobinator
AG
Oklahoma State had some length at the wing that helped them on the boards also. I think we'd be a lot better if we were facing a more traditional lineup but we have to get better at facing non-traditional lineups because I can't imagine anyone is going to try and go big with us.

USC will be a good test for this also. They're going to spread things out.
PatAg
AG
BrandoC said:

Even though Hogg is a good 3-point shooter, he is just as lazy as last year on defense. That type of thing will bite you in the ass in big games.

Gonna disagree with you there for this season so far. He's one of the few guys boxing out, for one. He also seems to have learned to use his length. I remember him being on their top player that just came back and essentially shut him down.
EliteZags
AG
Quote:

What are yours?

mine would be being excessively intoxicated in public before sundown
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Best way to be in public imo!
AgGrad99
AG
miller0926 said:

Ajm1115 said:

What are yours?
Turnovers and giving up too many offensive rebounds would be mine.
I agree with this.

We are so dang talented, but are really sloppy with the ball. Turnovers are the only way opponents have been able to stay in the game against us. I don't want this to cost us a game later in the season when it matters. Our entry passes have got to be better, and we've got to break the press better.

If we can do that, there isn't a lot that holds this team back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.