Basketball season starts early this year

5,953 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bobinator
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi yall
amercer
AG
Here
Pumpkinhead
AG
27 point lead entering 4th quarter, was one of worst 4th quarter collapses in NCAA history.

And for a coach on the hot seat for strong starts and then weak finishes, you literally could not have drawn up a more worse case scenario in the opening game than that epic and historical 'strong start - collapse late' UCLA game.

astros4545
AG
I think this loss was payback for the Northern Iowa game
jml2621

At least BK knows he's not the worst game coach on campus.

Lotsa talent. Jimmys and Joes > x's and o's. RW, Davis, Caldwell primed.

Practice is about a month away.

mosesrab90
AG
I'll be at Rammstein AFB .. will save me from going to jail for a very very long time
bobinator
AG
mosesrab90 said:

I'll be at Rammstein AFB .. will save me from going to jail for a very very long time
I feel like this post needs more words.
mallen
AG
I didn't listen to Sumlin's post game press conference. My guess is that he praised "future NFL" quarterback Rosen while pointing out how young his quarterbacks are.
GE
AG
At least Kennedy conducts himself with humility and lives forthrightly instead of being a defensive, arrogant *****.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Here
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
GE said:

At least Kennedy conducts himself with humility and lives forthrightly instead of being a defensive, arrogant *****.
So wait, you're saying the player who sinks the first three of the season DOESN'T get a pimp cane?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Morpholino
AG
If there is one thing that I hope this bball team has, it's a killer instinct. Put your opponent away.
bingram1230
AG
The 1st think I said after the game last night was, "Is it November yet?"
Pumpkinhead
AG
Billy Kennedy and Kevin Sumlin are now both A&M coaches who coached a game considered one of the greatest comebacks in the history of their sport. Wildly different emotional outcomes for the Aggie fans though.

In both cases, you needed both a complete mental meltdown by one team and literally a perfect sequence of a dozen or more events for the miracle to happen.

while A&M hoops pulled off their comeback by incredibly not committing a single foul (intentional or otherwise), UCLA overcame a 34 deficit with about 19 minutes remaining in a football game without A&M committing a single turnover.

waltonhall95
AG
BK will outlast Sumlin at A&M...let that sink in
Oak Forest Ag
AG
waltonhall95 said:

It sure looks that way!
bobinator
AG
waltonhall95 said:

That's more of a difference in expectations thing than a performance thing.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

waltonhall95 said:

That's more of a difference in expectations thing than a performance thing.
And because Kennedy one great season was just two years ago, while Sumlin's is now 5 years ago. Had Kennedy missed the NCAA in 2015 then he'd had been whacked then before Sumlin.

The football team is now 2-6 in its last 8 games. The wins being New Mexico and UTSA. So Sumlin is 0-6 in his last 6 games versus teams in a major conference. And those 6 losses include multiple WTF losses such as to the Mississippi schools and an epic meltdown to UCLA. Also includes a loss to Kansas State that has inferior talent but outcoached him.

It is a really awful run right now and his next stretch of 4 games is Arkansas, South Carolina, Bama, and Florida. Not hard to see him being 1-9 in his last 10 games versus P5 teams after that stretch.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I'm just saying if our basketball program had the same level of expectations as the football program he never would have made it to the 2015 season.

But it doesn't matter now, he did, and hopefully this year we ball out.
AggieTFA06
AG
I'm disappointed in both Kennedy and Sumlin. Both have embarrassed this school in different ways.

Please remember that Kennedy has made the NCAA tournament only once since 2011.

It's because of both Kennedy's and Sumlin's failures that I will no longer spend money on any Aggie Athletics event.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
bobinator
AG
Cool bro. Way to take a stand.
Hop
Staff
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

I'm disappointed in both Kennedy and Sumlin. Both have embarrassed this school in different ways.

Please remember that Kennedy has made the NCAA tournament only once since 2011.

It's because of both Kennedy's and Sumlin's failures that I will no longer spend money on any Aggie Athletics event.
Many of us are thankful for that.
jml2621
82 Ag said:

waltonhall95 said:

It sure looks that way!

Who woulda thunk it in 2012?
Lance Uppercut
AG
Robert Williams alone would probably be worth the price of admission this year. Lots of talent on this team.
GE
AG
jml2621 said:

82 Ag said:

waltonhall95 said:

It sure looks that way!

Who woulda thunk it in 2012?

Or 2013...or 2014...or even most of 2015.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, I'm just saying if our basketball program had the same level of expectations as the football program he never would have made it to the 2015 season.

But it doesn't matter now, he did, and hopefully this year we ball out.
Sumlin & Kennedy could not have had more dramatically different starts (first impressions) in their first couple of years.

But what was similar is that, as things went south, both got chances to play their 'staff shakeup' card (Sumlin numerous times, swapping Synder for Chavis, swapping Spavital for Mazzone, swapping out his S&C coach this last iteration, and Kennedy of course at the end of his third year with the big move to swap Cyprien/Reese for Stansbury/Rahim).

Kennedy's assistant staff shakeup seemed to pay off in spades in terms of righting the ship, resulting in a conference co-champ and Sweet Sixteen appearance.

Sumlin however, none of the moves that he has made the past 3 years during the off-season has seemed to be able to change the narrative much. That narrative being that, when he doesn't have the best player in the nation at QB (Manziel), he is a mediocre coach whose teams seem to get softer and fold the second half of games and second half of seasons.

Kennedy obviously needs to have good season this year to change the current TexAgs narrative that he can't do that without Rick Stansbury.

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
^ BS
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Pumpkinhead
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

^ BS
What was the BS part?

Kennedy absolutely stunk up the joint the first 3 seasons and probably should have gotten fired in March 2013, but they allowed him to play the shakeup assistants card instead and that seemed to help right the ship (for at least awhile). Of his 6 seasons in College Station, the last three (2014/2015/2016) have been significantly better overall both in recruiting and accomplishments than his first three seasons were.

On the other hand, Sumlin's best seasons of his 5 at A&M were his first two years with Johnny Football in 2012 and 2013. Since Manziel left town, he has been the definition of mediocre going 8-5 for 3 consecutive years. Each time starting strong and then finishing the season poorly. This season *looks* like it will be very difficult for Sumlin to even hit the 8-5 mark this time.

His assistant coaching staff has had shakeup after shakeup (first getting a new D.C., then a new O.C., then a new S&C coach, and so forth) and yet the program hasn't seemed to be able to shake off whatever is ailing it.

halfastros81
AG
there are similarities but there are also significant differences. Sumlin inherited very competitive talent. Kennedy not so much. Also, as far as I know Sumlin wasn't diagnosed with a serious disease that took a huge toll on his energy level upon his arrival. Imo, BK had a tougher hill to climb, albeit a lot less pressure as well.

czar_iv
AG
halfastros81 said:

Sumlin inherited very competitive talent. Kennedy not so much.
Both didn't have ideal situations in the talent department. Sumlin made more of his talent. Remember just the year before, Sherman went 7-6 with the same or better talent in the Big 12. Sumlin has made some bad decisions as an HC, but there is no comparison. Sumlin is a way better coach than Kennedy. BK has missed the tourney like 4-5 times. Imagine if Sumlin didn't make it to a bowl 4-5 times.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
greg.w.h
AG
80 of 128 FBS schools (~62%) go to bowls. 68 of 351 Div 1 schools (<20%) receive Big Dance invites. Though 8-4 is a guaranteed bowl invite.
Pumpkinhead
AG
If getting to a football bowl out of the SEC is harder than an NCAA bid, how come typically 10-11 SEC football teams make a bowl each year but only 3-5 SEC hoops teams get an NCAA bid each year?

I am ZERO impressed with an SEC team going 6-6 and making a bowl, but an SEC team getting an NCAAT bid deserves at least a few minutes of applause.
GE
AG
You can go 2-6 in conference play and still get to a bowl in the SEC. That's a 25% win percentage. 11-7 in conference (61% win percentage) in basketball puts you on the bubble but not definitely in the tournament.

Comparing just making a bowl to making the NCAA tournament in basketball is absolutely laughable.
jja79
AG
6 - 6 is bowl eligible. Last year some 5 - 7 teams made bowls.
AggieTFA06
AG
I'm not a fan of either coach, but with the resources our university has, we deserve far better.

5 straight bowl games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1 sweet 16 appearance.

I'm not a fan of sumlin, but if he leaves, he has made us better than he found us.

If Kennedy left, he has made us worse than he found us.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.