J.J. Caldwell hype!

32,939 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jml2621
Wearamaskaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Kid's going to be good!
Pumpkinhead
AG
zooguy96
I'm really excited to see JJ this year. Dude is an absolute baller. Has great handles, obviously great passer, and his shot is pretty good. Is relentless getting to the rim.

Let's see how it translates to the college game.

Pumpkinhead
AG
zooguy96 said:

Part of the reason for the hype is not only stuff back in high school, but that he has looked really good in practice since joining the Aggie roster in December and his A&M teammates are really high on him.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator
AG
The buzz is more palpable than palpable?
GigEmATL
AG
At the VERY least, this year's team will be exciting and fun to watch. Should be a very special year.
bingram1230
AG
1. I wish I had your TexAgs handle

2. Do you live in Atlanta? I just moved here about 3.5 months ago?
Expert Analysis
AG
If Caldwell is a top 3 PG in the SEC we are a sweet 16 team at a minimum.
We know what we are getting from the front line and Gilder is the best player with the least hype in the league, ala Josh Reynolds from football.
Watkins could coach this team to the dance.
bobinator
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Watkins could miss the dance with the Warriors.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Expert Analysis said:

We know what we are getting from the front line and Gilder is the best player with the least hype in the league, ala Josh Reynolds from football.
That is why I feel about as comfortable right now that we will make the NCAA as I did back in the summer of 2015. The roster seems too loaded on paper with enough known quantities.

We will probably have...what?...one of the top 5 front-line rosters in the country with Tyler Davis (Senior), Robert Williams (Sophomore), and Tonny Trocha (senior)?

We know Gilder is a proven, very good two-way player. Good defender and can really score playing off the ball.

Then...at point guard...the off-season buzz about J.J. Caldwell has been great, and you still got a senior grad transfer from Marquette in Duane Wilson who started in an NCAA game just a few months ago.

On top of all of the above...if D.J. Hogg is totally healthy then he has the potential for a 'break out' year.

Then really good freshman like Flagg, Starks, Jay Jay Chandler who maybe will have a moment or two.

---

Now...I don't know about WATKINS coaching this team to the dance...maybe....
Hop
Staff
AG
Expert Analysis said:

Watkins had some talented teams that were bad. He went 0-16 in the Big 12 with two future NBA players (Wright, Law). Think about that for a minute. Winless with two future NBA players.
Aston04
AG
In comparison, Watkins makes Coach BK look like Coach K.

Watkins was about as clueless as it comes when it comes to running a major D1 basketball team.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Expert Analysis said:

Watkins had some talented teams that were bad. He went 0-16 in the Big 12 with two future NBA players (Wright, Law). Think about that for a minute. Winless with two future NBA players.

That team with two future NBA players lost to this horrid 8-21 (3-13 Big 12) Baylor team coming fresh off program destruction by the Dave Bliss scandal (coached by a super young Scott Drew in his first season) not once but TWICE.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/baylor/2004.html

That 0-16 conference season was a special unique achievement that was going to be tough for any A&M coach after Watkins to ever match.
GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Expert Analysis said:

That team with two future NBA players lost to this horrid 8-21 (3-13 Big 12) Baylor team coming fresh off program destruction by the Dave Bliss scandal (coached by a super young Scott Drew in his first season) not once but TWICE.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/baylor/2004.html

That 0-16 conference season was a special unique achievement that was going to be tough for any A&M coach after Watkins to ever match.
Tough to match, impossible to exceed
Wicked Good Ag
Actually with 18 games in conference it is possible to exceed.
GE
AG
Touche
bobinator
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Actually with 18 games in conference it is possible to exceed.
This might be my favorite "well actually" of all time
West Point Aggie
AG
bobinator said:

Expert Analysis said:

Watkins could miss the dance with the Warriors.

Brutal! Funny...but brutal!
AggieTFA06
AG
I'm not a fan of Watkins, but BK isn't so much more better. 1 NCAA in 7 years isn't something to celebrate. Hope the hype around Caldwell is true, because I've heard a lot of hype only to be disappointed by Kennedy.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Wearamaskaggie
AG
You cannot deny that BK has significantly brought in more talent then any other coach within the decade, given what he was given and how far we've come since then I don't see how anyone could be upset with that and what BK has done. He's far from perfect, of course, but I think he's done an admirable job here.
Hop
Staff
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

I'm not a fan of Watkins, but BK isn't so much more better. 1 NCAA in 7 years isn't something to celebrate. Hope the hype around Caldwell is true, because I've heard a lot of hype only to be disappointed by Kennedy.
That has to be one of the most absurd statements I've heard in a while. It's one thing to say you aren't a fan of Kennedy, but then to go the extra step and say he's near the same level as Watkins...a coach with a .250 winning percentage in the Big 12 and a perennial last place team? Watkins lost at home to Birmingham-Southern. It was the school's first D-1 win in school history...and they beat A&M by almost 30 points at Reed Arena.

Nice man...decent recruiter...one of the poorest X's and O's coaches I've ever seen. There's a reason he's remained an assistant for the remainder of his career.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

I'm not a fan of Watkins, but BK isn't so much more better. 1 NCAA in 7 years isn't something to celebrate.

Watkins era was 0 NIT appearances & 0 NCAA appearances in 7 years, 0-16 conference season in 7th year.

After the upcoming 2017-2018 season is finished, Kennedy's 7th season (and probable NCAAT team), the Kennedy era will be 1 NIT appearance & 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years, with 2 out of the last 3 seasons being NCAA appearances.

Few alive during Watkins era at this point would compare the BK era as feeling almost as bad to them. I thought 06 was probably your graduating class year. Was it instead your birth year?

FWIW, you can easily justify an A&M hoops coach getting fired anyways without having to try to bring up the Watkins boogeyman comparison. The bar to keep your job should be higher than the Watkins futility bar.
TAQ
AggieTFA06 said:

MUAG
Amazing Watkins could recruit at all. Twice while he was coach the football banquet was the same night as a home men's basket ball game.
Pumpkinhead
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

Hope the hype around Caldwell is true, because I've heard a lot of hype only to be disappointed by Kennedy.

It seems pretty likely at this point that Caldwell will be good. Usually when the hype/buzz is present in almost every summer interview with the coaching staff and the other players, plus bleeding out into the mainstream media like Rothstein's tweets in this thread, that means the player has been exceptionally wowing folks in practices and workouts.
CactusThomas
AG
AggieTFA06 said:

Welcome aboard! I'm guessing last year was your first year as an Aggie basketball fan if you've only been disappointed with Kennedy.
Wicked Good Ag
AggieTFA06 said:

Ok I am not sold on BK ether but cmon He does have a Sweet 16 appearance and conference co champs

Compared to Watkins....
Aston04
AG
Agree- not a BK fan either and my concern is recruiting is slipping (and if it does we are screwed, because we play at a coaching disadvantage imo most nights)... But there's no comparing the two, other than both are good men.

Really hope reports of Caldwell taking the ball to the rim and finishing are correct. We haven't had a guy like that at point since Sloan. That would really setup Gilder, Hogg, and our biggs well.
GE
AG
Aston04 said:

Agree- not a BK fan either and my concern is recruiting is slipping (and if it does we are screwed, because we play at a coaching disadvantage imo most nights)... But there's no comparing the two, other than both are good men.

Really hope reports of Caldwell taking the ball to the rim and finishing are correct. We haven't had a guy like that at point since Sloan. That would really setup Gilder, Hogg, and our biggs well.
I love BK but agree with everything you said for the most part.
greg.w.h
AG
No reason to deny Caldwell his hype. Last year was a failure of recruiting and development by BK but it wasn't Caldwell's fault. He deserves his opportunity to show his stuff.

What would be great is if he's a breakout player and really can accomplish all the things that have been said of him. I say "great" because point guards more than anyone else benefit from time in college. Bigs usually benefit more by going to the pros if they have the height and absolutely any athleticism at all.

What would be awesome is if A&M became the program where very talented college players could come to be developed into defensive-first effective offensive players at every position. Defense does matter in the NBA but especially when paired with journeyman and above offensive skills.

With the limited coaching staff that is allowed contact with the players, I'm guessing the team is heavily dependent on summer time "third-party" coaching to get to the next level (and that isn't a ding on BK and staff...it's acknowledging that the NCAA rules push players towards "third parties" pretty much every level.)

But I can be excited about the team without buying into BK's coaching and leadership. Two thoughts...one head.
jml2621
zooguy96 said:

I'm really excited to see JJ this year. Dude is an absolute baller. Has great handles, obviously great passer, and his shot is pretty good. Is relentless getting to the rim.

JJ reminds me a little of Ty Lawson. Elite passer. Loves to dribble drive and dish or layup. Not as quick as Lawson, so I don't know how his drives fare at the college level. Needs to work on his OUTSIDE SHOT to prevent double teams on Davis, RW.
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

AggieTFA06 said:

I'm not a fan of Watkins, but BK isn't so much more better. 1 NCAA in 7 years isn't something to celebrate.

Watkins era was 0 NIT appearances & 0 NCAA appearances in 7 years, 0-16 conference season in 7th year.

After the upcoming 2017-2018 season is finished, Kennedy's 7th season (and probable NCAAT team), the Kennedy era will be 1 NIT appearance & 2 NCAA appearances in 7 years, with 2 out of the last 3 seasons being NCAA appearances.

Few alive during Watkins era at this point would compare the BK era as feeling almost as bad to them. I thought 06 was probably your graduating class year. Was it instead your birth year?

FWIW, you can easily justify an A&M hoops coach getting fired anyways without having to try to bring up the Watkins boogeyman comparison. The bar to keep your job should be higher than the Watkins futility bar.

The measuring stick is 5 straight NCAA appearances under BCG and Turge, not Watkins.

This year's team is talented enough to finish 3rd in the SEC and easily make the NCAAs. We had enough talent last year, but it took BK 3/4 of the year to figure out he could use Hampton as a combo guard rather than the PG.

Leander - Ag

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.