SEC Preseason Power Rankings

6,727 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pumpkinhead
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ags at #3.

in the B12, KU - 1, WVA - 2, Ok St - 10

in the P12, AZ - 1, USC - 2

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/early-sec-power-rankings-florida-to-challenge-kentucky-7-ncaa-bids-possible/
bobinator
AG
Basically after Vandy you can draw names out of a hat.
GE
AG
Ags at 3 at this point feels about right from national guys who are paying attention.
Serious Lee
with A&M and mizzou being where they pretty much based on talent, im a little surprised to see MSU so low.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Basically after Vandy you can draw names out of a hat.
#14 LSU

I agree with this though. I think LSU finishing last or next to last in the conference is a really good bet.
bobinator
AG
Yeah I probably should have said 7-13. LSU is going to really suck.
mgmgrand
AG
Obviously South Carolina is going to drop off, but they bring back their front line and are still going to be very good defensively. Silva was a big part of that team's energy and moxy as well...I think 10 is way low for them, even in an improved conference.
Serious Lee
jon rothsteins rankings https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-sec-offseason-notebook/

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Texas A&M
4. Alabama
5. Auburn
6. Ole Miss
7. Vanderbilt
8. Missouri
9. Arkansas
10. Mississippi State
11. Tennessee
12. Georgia
13. South Carolina
14. LSU

Quote:

3. Which off-the-radar player could have a major impact?
J.J. Caldwell.
Several SEC coaches told FanRag Sports this summer that they believe Texas A&M will win the league outright the main reason for that is Caldwell. The Aggies limped to a 16-15 record last season and a 16-14 assist-to-turnover ratio because Caldwell was ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA, leaving Billy Kennedy with no top-flight options at point guard. That won't be a problem this season. With Caldwell, Admon Gilder, D.J. Hogg, Robert Williams, Tyler Davis, Tonny Trocha-Morelos, Marquette grad transfer Duane Wilson, and top-100 wing Savion Flagg, Texas A&M has the best collection of experience and talent in the SEC. With Caldwell steering the ship, this looks like a Sweet 16-caliber team on paper.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Quote:

Several SEC coaches told FanRag Sports this summer that they believe Texas A&M will win the league outright - the main reason for that is Caldwell.
Serious Lee
i have no doubt thats true, but its going to be interesting to see how many of those coaches have the confidence to vote A&M to win during media days.
The Lost
Mizzou just got some more raw talent, jontay porter, Michael porters younger brother reclassified. He was originally a 5 star in the 2019 class.

Who knows what they'll do with it, but mizzou has a ton of raw talent now.
bobinator
AG
How in the absolute hell can a junior just reclassify and immediately be eligible?
CypressAg09
AG
Miss St. incoming freshman arrested for DUI. Very highly ranked as a recruit. Wonder if he will miss any time.

Nick Weatherspoon DUI
AggieTFA06
AG
CypressAg09 said:

Miss St. incoming freshman arrested for DUI. Very highly ranked as a recruit. Wonder if he will miss any time.

Nick Weatherspoon DUI
he will be suspended against cupcake opponents.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
Leander - Ag
AG
This is the year to win the sec
Pumpkinhead
AG
Leander - Ag said:

We have a team with a puncher's chance to win the SEC, but the SEC conference also looks like it will be pretty salty this season. It won't be that surprising IMO if the team that wins the conference finishes with like an 13-5 conference record.
bobinator
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Leander - Ag said:

We have a team with a puncher's chance to win the SEC, but the SEC conference also looks like it will be pretty salty this season. It won't be that surprising IMO if the team that wins the conference finishes with like an 11-5 conference record.
Actually I think it would be pretty surprising if the team that wins the league plays two less games than everyone else...

But assuming you mean 13-5, that's what we were when we won a pretty competitive league two years ago. The league sucked overall, but it was competitive. I think this year the league has a chance to be competitive, but also be good. I could see a team with five losses winning it again.

Since the move to 18 games, the regular season champions have had 4, 0, 0, 5 and 2 losses, but in those five years the league has never had more than two teams finish the season ranked, which is awful.
GE
AG
We're going to the 'ship. Deal with it.
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Leander - Ag said:

We have a team with a puncher's chance to win the SEC, but the SEC conference also looks like it will be pretty salty this season. It won't be that surprising IMO if the team that wins the conference finishes with like an 11-5 conference record.
Actually I think it would be pretty surprising if the team that wins the league plays two less games than everyone else...

But assuming you mean 13-5, that's what we were when we won a pretty competitive league two years ago. The league sucked overall, but it was competitive. I think this year the league has a chance to be competitive, but also be good. I could see a team with five losses winning it again.

Since the move to 18 games, the regular season champions have had 4, 0, 0, 5 and 2 losses, but in those five years the league has never had more than two teams finish the season ranked, which is awful.

Yeah, meant 13-5. Fixed. I don't see this as a season where somebody takes no hits. I think even the champ will have 4 maybe even 5 conference losses.
Hop
Staff
AG

Serious Lee
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/south-carolina-g-rakym-felder-suspended-indefinitely-bar-fight-spit-on-woman/9l3sdp49yo4d1kcofckbt1zkd

sounds like he will sit the fall semester at the very least. he was the most impressive player on their team when we played them in columbia this year.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">South Carolina has suspended guard Rakym Felder indefinitely, per release. Was key reserve in last year's Final Four run.</p>— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/897902399419019264">August 16, 2017</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That sure won't convince Rothstein to change his pre-season ranking of #13 in SEC for them.

That Final Four run though was a once in a life time thing for South Carolina college hoops fans and worth a few seasons of bad teams rebuilding IMO.
Serious Lee
no doubt it was worth it. I view several other forums and they seem to think they will continue this success this year. id be shocked if they were in the top half of the league though, i personally have them 13th ahead of LSU.
Method Man
A lot of people are getting suspended...
Pumpkinhead
AG
Felder not only suspended from the South Carolina basketball program but suspended from the university for at least the Fall semester.

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/gamecocks-rakym-felder-suspended-indefinitely-from-men-s-basketball-team/article_d2b50912-82af-11e7-b2c0-9704078b5e76.html

And although he might technically be able to return for the spring, looks like that will be difficult to do. He had already gotten in trouble for a previous arrest in October 2016, and then another incident this June.

Quote:

It is possible that Felder can return in the spring, which would cover the entire 18-game SEC schedule and any postseason. But a source close to the situation said that Felder returning would be difficult, as it's the second time he's had a legal problem in his brief college career.

Felder has been suspended since June 30. That was the same day he was involved in an altercation where he allegedly spit on a female, which precipitated a sizable fight, according to a Columbia Police Department incident report.

Felder was arrested and charged with assault and battery third degree on July 13, according to the report, and posted a personal recognizance bond of $1,087.50. The charge is the least form of assault and battery by the South Carolina criminal code, defined as "a situation in which a person hurt or tried to hurt another person." It's normally a misdemeanor.

Felder was supposed to be part of Team USA's East Coast team that played in Spain in August. Yet he was replaced by the Gamecocks' Hassani Gravett with no explanation.

On June 30, Felder allegedly spit on the victim which triggered a "large brawl," the report says. The address was listed as 800 Harden Street, outside the former Pour House bar in Five Points.

Felder had a court date of Aug. 14. He did not appear in front of the judge, but did approach the victim outside the courtroom and personally apologize. The two were smiling afterward.

But the case was continued to a jury trial following a lengthy discussion between Lourie and the prosecution. Lourie wanted a dismissal but the arresting officer then had a conversation with him, leading to a jury trial being awarded.

A date has not been set for the new trial.

The incident is the second time in a calendar year Felder has been in trouble with the law. He was arrested in October 2016 and charged with third-degree assault, resisting arrest, use of a fake and altered ID and failure to stop on police command, among other charges. A police report said he punched one victim and struck a police officer during his arrest, after being Tased.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Uncle Gunnysack said:

no doubt it was worth it. I view several other forums and they seem to think they will continue this success this year. id be shocked if they were in the top half of the league though, i personally have them 13th ahead of LSU.
They lost from last year's team:

Sindarius Thornwell (starter, SEC Player of the year)
P.J. Dozier (starter)
Duane Notice (starter)
Justin McKie (starter)

And now Rakym Felder.

So lost 4 of their 5 starters from last year plus one of their most promising freshman reserve players. They lost 75% of their scoring from last season. In terms of major contributors from last year's team, only Maik Kotsar and Chris Silva are going to be back.

They got Kory Holden, a 6'2" guard transfer from Delaware now eligible who can score a little bit, and picked up a grad transfer. Martin will probably have them playing decent scrappy defense, but seems like it will probably be really difficult for them to generally score. Their only chance to win may be trying to hold opponents in the low sixties and that will be a very difficult grind.
mallen
AG
I think we'll see a lot of Frank Martin on the sidelines shaking his head in disgust this season.
Method Man
We saw him going to the final four last year so...
bobinator
AG
They're still going to suck this season. His clown act on the sidelines is less annoying when his team is garbage though.
Method Man
They are going to suck. I don't mind his act as much as others do.
bobinator
AG
It works for him, so I get it.
Serious Lee
another set of rankings. this is more or less how i think the coaches will vote (i believe its tomorrow).

http://southeasthoops.com/2017/10/17/sec-basketball-preseason-power-rankings/

National Ranking in parentheses (theres also a write up on every team)

1. Kentucky (7)
2. Florida (8)
3. Alabama (16)
4. Texas A&M (17)
5. Missouri (24)
6. Auburn
7. Arkansas
8. Vanderbilt
9. Ole Miss
10. Mississippi State
11. Georgia
12. Tennessee
13. South Carolina
14. LSU
bobinator
AG
I feel reasonably confident that UK, Florida, Alabama and us are probably a tier above the pack and that South Carolina and LSU are probably a tier below the pack.

But I agree with his writeup that everyone else in the middle there could basically finish in any order and it wouldn't be that surprising.
Uncle Jimbo
Arkansas fans seem to think their team is going to be really good. They lost Kingsley, but might be better overall.

I really hope this is the year that the conference steps it up. If even the bottom of the league can stop having inexplicable losses to teams in the RPI 200+ that can go a long way for conference RPI.

The league has made a lot of really solid coaching hires in the past 5 years like Barnes, Mike Anderson and Ben Howland that just haven't really worked out yet. It's time for that to start paying off for the league.

Anderson has been fine, but I expected more from them.

Mike White has the chance to be elite.

Frank Martin is a great coach and had a great year. I expect them to suck for a year, but he'll have them back soon.

It's put up or shut up time for Mark Fox. There's absolutely no reason why UGA shouldn't be a solid program. I like Yante Maten and they should be better than #11.

Barnes and Howland have been disappointing.

Will Wade was a great hire and I expect him to have LSU rolling in a couple years.

There's really no reason this can't be an elite hoops conference.
bobinator
AG
Put up or shut up? This will be Fox's NINTH season, I think we pretty much know who he is at this point.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.