BJ Holmes podcast interview....yikes

5,796 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JJxvi
Hickory High
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been listening to The Summer Podcast interview with BJ Holmes. It's....something. I wouldn't say he still has a bad taste in his mouth about his time at A&M, but he certainly gave some good reasons as to why he's sour. Don't really feel like writing a full summary, but here are some points:

-All three guys on the podcast talk about how awesome our coaching staffs were under Billy and Turgeon. Pretty unbelievable.
-He loved Billy G while being recruited, but once he got here he felt betrayed because he barely got to play
-He thinks that if BCG had stayed, he could've made it to the NBA after just 2 years playing at A&M
-He said Turgeon didn't seem to be too eager to keep current players around when Turgeon got here, despite the fact that it was known within the program that there was a chance he would transfer to Cincinnati or Ohio State

Considering the whole podcast itself is about AAU basketball (especially in Houston), that's what they talk about a lot. I'm not quite done with it, but I'll post some more A&M-related info as it comes.
mdanyc03
AG
Sounds like a typical uncle Rico.
bobinator
AG
I love BJ Holmes, he was a good player for us, but he wasn't going to the NBA no matter who his coach was.
mhayden
The Turgeon stuff isn't really surprising -- new coach is not always going to fully embrace the previous coach's recruits.

As for BCG, I'll have to give it a listen but he's saying that if BCG had not left for UK that he would have developed BJ into an NBA-caliber player, but at the same time he wasn't happy about the playing time that BCG gave him?
wacarnolds
AG
Yeah, much love for what BJ did while here, but BCG could have spent every waking moment on getting BJ to the NBA and it (most likely) would not have mattered
Pumpkinhead
AG
bobinator said:

I love BJ Holmes, he was a good player for us, but he wasn't going to the NBA no matter who his coach was.
Was Holmes even as tall as the listed 5'11" ?
mhayden
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

Are you trying to insinuate that he was a little bitty peckerhead?
DTP02
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

I would say so. I had a few face to face talks with him and I don't think he was that much shorter than me and I'm between 6' and 6'1". It's just that he was a natural 2 instead of a 1 at that height, and not really a super-quick and explosive one, either.
BQ_90
AG
free_mhayden said:

Pumpkinhead said:

bobinator said:

Are you trying to insinuate that he was a little bitty peckerhead?
no he was a giant little bitty peckerhead.
Method Man
Where is the "yikes" moment there?
Hickory High
AG
Method Man said:

Where is the "yikes" moment there?
Listen to it for yourself. He doesn't say a single good word about his time at A&M.
Method Man
Ok! Sounds like an awesome thing to listen to!
Hickory High
AG
Method Man said:

Ok! Sounds like an awesome thing to listen to!
Pretty good behind the scenes look at Houston AAU ball with Marland Lowe there, too. Apparently, BJ left his team for Tracy McGrady's team in high school.
GE
AG
He would have loved A&M if he had the privilege of playing for Billy Kennedy.
mdanyc03
AG
Thanks for the recommendation Hickory. Interesting podcast (although it got repetitive after 15 minutes and I have no idea how they keep going for two hours) but I do disagree with your basic assessment of the interview.

Definitely not a "yikes" interview and really has nothing to do with A&M.

Long story short- BJ signed with A&M along with Walkup and Deandre. Then G left before they got on campus. He was considering asking for a release and wanted to take a visit to Cincy. We all knew this at the time (that BJ and Deandre were considering asking out). Ultimately they decided to stay.

Said his freshman year was the most frustrating in his basketball life because he only played six minutes a game. Also G told him that he would play the 1 because Sloan was a natural 2, but Turg moved him to the 2 right away and kept him there the entire time.

Deandre declares for the NBA and BJ considered transferring then but prayed and decided to stay. Played 28 mpg his sophomore year and a lot from then on out but always at the 2 which he didn't like.

Dash shows up and he was Turg's guy, so Turg "had to play him at the 1." BJ for the most part came across as pretty level headed even though the hosts were egging him on. They were calling Dash "sorry", etc, but BJ just kinda laughed and said, "nah, man, Dash is cool" or something like that.

BJ did repeat quite a bit that every player needs to have an advocate within the program to make sure you are treated fairly. Maybe an assistant coach if you are "his guy." Or could be an "outside guy." An influential AAU coach or whatever.

Like I said, I didn't hear anything "yikes" at all and definitely nothing bad about A&M. It wasn't even really bad about Turgeon. He said he thought Turgeon was a good coach but he made it clear he wasn't "Turgeon's guy" and he said something along the lines of "those guys get paid millions of dollars to win games. They don't care about you." But it was more matter of fact tone rather than critical.

I thought he came across pretty positively toward A&M "the school" but in this AAU/ summer basketball scene "the school" is clearly way down this list of priorities compared to the basketball situation. And not even winning basketball games but getting minutes and shots and so forth. It is the kind of thing we all lament. We want guys whose greatest dream is to cut down a nets for A&M (or whatever your team is) but we also all know that most college basketball players have dozens of people around them (family, friends and advisors, so forth) that are telling them that they need to do whatever to take care of themselves and get their minutes and shots because everybody has those dreams of making lots of money playing basketball. These hosts were strongly advocating that side of the business. "This is why you need people around you that can advocate for you and that can advise you because if you don't, somebody else does."

Two most notable things to me-
He talked about being offered big bags of money. In context it seemed like he was talking about Cincy after he was signed with A&M but they all talked about it like NBD and didn't really dive into it too much.

He also said that he thought that Turgeon WANTED him to transfer after his freshmen year. He implied that Turgeon wanted to have out of state guys playing as much as possible because he didn't want to be pressured about how he handled the in state guys that where well known within the local basketball circles and that had lots of influential advocates. We all saw the obvious rift between Turgeon and the Houston/ Dallas basketball scenes and Turgeon even spoke about it quite a bit. He obviously learned his lessons and has taken a much different approach at Maryland where he has firmly entrenched himself with the Under Armour/ summer ball scene and hence recruits wells.

My view here is that Turgeon left for Maryland not because of attendance or banners in the rafters but because he knew he had kinda burned his bridges in state here and he thought Adidas was too weak for him to ever make up ground. He told Gary Parrish that he went to Maryland in large part because he was making a bet on Under Armour's growing clout in the summer ball scene and in my view he just needed to reset because he botched those relationships here.

Ironically Adidas has gotten much stronger in Texas since he left and our recruiting reflects that.
mdanyc03
AG
bobinator said:

For the record, I don't think he ever said this, although I didn't listen to all two hours. He did say he considered leaving after his freshmen year along with Deandre but the implication was transferring not declaring. I assume that is where Hickory got that from but I am not really sure. He seemed pretty realistic about his talent level in the part I listened to. He did say that if he had played at the 1 "his situation today would be different" but that isn't the same as saying he would have declared for the NBA early in his college career.
Hickory High
AG
mdanyc03 said:

bobinator said:

For the record, I don't think he ever said this, although I didn't listen to all two hours. He did say he considered leaving after his freshmen year along with Deandre but the implication was transferring not declaring. I assume that is where Hickory got that from but I am not really sure. He seemed pretty realistic about his talent level in the part I listened to. He did say that if he had played at the 1 "his situation today would be different" but that isn't the same as saying he would have declared for the NBA early in his college career.
He said, direct quote, "If Coach G had stayed, I would've only been there 2 years before going to the NBA."
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

He would have loved A&M if he had the privilege of playing for Billy Kennedy.

Aston04
AG
I could see BJ having animosity about Dash getting the minutes at point. With all due respect to the effort Dash gave every night here, he was not good enough to be major program starting point guard. We were essentially going 4 on 5 on the offensive end with him out there. Also wouldn't surprise me if outside people were in BJ's ear telling him he needs to play pg to play at the next level.
mdanyc03
AG
Aston04 said:

I could see BJ having animosity about Dash getting the minutes at point. With all due respect to the effort Dash gave every night here, he was not good enough to be major program starting point guard. We were essentially going 4 on 5 on the offensive end with him out there. Also wouldn't surprise me if outside people were in BJ's ear telling him he needs to play pg to play at the next level.
Just my take but I don't think he came across as having animosity toward anybody or being bitter. Maybe a bit wistful that things could have gone different but the tone was more like "it is what it is."

Hop
Staff
AG
Holmes was a 2 guard in a point guard's body. Good, solid college player who was clutch in crunch time, but he didn't have the athleticism and size to be at the next level.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Hop said:

Holmes was a 2 guard in a point guard's body. Good, solid college player who was clutch in crunch time, but he didn't have the athleticism and size to be at the next level.
greg.w.h
AG
I like BJ. He, however, didn't have the upper body strength of Sloan or the court awareness for playing the 1 and overdribbled into situations where he couldn't get shots off and wasn't that great in traffic below the free throw line. As a two he was fun to watch but not consistent enough on his shots which means neither at the 1 or the 2 could he consistently create beyond the arc.

I take everything former players say with a couple of grains (if not licks) of salt. Turgeon didn't handle in-state recruiting well even though $Bill claimed that was a priority when hiring. He didn't get national recruits the made up the difference, either. I view BJ's comments therefore as sufficiently accurate/precise to add to a historical evaluation of Turgeon. But BJ can't dismiss Turgeon going to the NCAAs repeatedly. And BJ does deserve credit for doing everything humanly possible except taking the whistle out of the ref's pocket and blowing it for him against UCLA in my opinion.
Double Diamond
Kid wasn't gonna play in the NBA. Gillispie or coach K. Loved him at A&M. But his career is what it is.
EliteZags
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Long story short

I don't think you quite understand what this phrase means

appreciate the writeup tho
JJxvi
AG
Sloan was a 1.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.