Eubanks transferring

10,600 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GoodOldAgs
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

However, you can state that one of the 2014 transfers specifically (Alex Robinson) did end up clearly hurting the 2016-2017 season because of how things played out.
I'll go so far as to say his "transfer" hurt the 2015-2016 season
Uhhh....no, I can't buy that.

We went 28-9 (13-5), SEC Co-Champs, #3 seed in NCAA tournament, NCAA Sweet Sixteen (losing to #2 seed Oklahoma who went to Final Four).

I liked Alex Robinson but arguing that had we had Robinson on the roster instead of Anthony Collins, that we'd have had an EVEN BETTER season than what we had in 2015-2016...that seems like a pretty big stretch. Was he the type of talent who was going to carry us to the Final Four on his shoulders, beating Buddy Hield, Cousins, Spangler, and co. in the Sweet Sixteen?

No. I've seen nothing to suggest he would have been THAT good. Not based on what he did here, nor what he did at TCU last year either.
txag72
AG
Well, it's been a while now, but as I remember it, Gilder played quite a bit at PG. Seems to me it became obvious late in the season that Caruso was much better playing off the ball and was still having TO problems so that he was playing less PG with Gilder filling in there quite a bit.

OK, I'll put it this way. He wouldn't have done any worse than Collins or Caurso would have done if he had 15 minutes a game, and would have been ready to start this past year. It wouldn't have been any better season but we would have been so much better going forward.

Is there a stat anywhere that shows how much time played at what position?
Pumpkinhead
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

As was covered in another thread, there's much more comprehensive study out there, and it shows bout 80 programs tops a year have 3 transfers. In fact, a minority of teams have 2 or more a year.

Good or bad, we can argue that all day long, but A&M has had high turnover and that's simply a fact.
We had 0 transfers last offseason (it does not sound like guys who never even enrolled in school like Corprew would have been included in that study - Corprew played as a freshman at a JUCO this season) and 2 (thus far) this offseason.

What would be interesting to perhaps see is the total number of transfers the past 4 years combined for every D1 school (all 351 of them) and see where Texas A&M actually ranks on that list. I don't have the interest or inclination to do such major data mining work however.
Hop
Staff
AG
wacarnolds said:

mazag0 said:

Other than Alex Robinson and Elijah Thomas (who nobody ever blamed Kennedy for, most called him premature and an idiot), name one player who transferred out and has had an impact on a relatively major D1 team.
I'm biased, but this tells me more about how we are struggling with recruiting than it does about how we are using the transfer market to build the program.

More than 50% of the guys we recruit aren't good enough. That's bad in my opinion.

First of all, so we are comparing apples to apples, A&M has retained 6 of 9 players that have entered the program the past two classes which compares favorably to the national average of players that have transferred out of the program. (Adding a player that never entered the program incorrectly skews the numbers). Those two classes were rated highly. Prior to that time, the transfer rate was much higher because the quality of players signed was much weaker for obvious reasons...the program was struggling three years ago. Nobody denies that.

Multiple transfers can mean one of two things...

1) program on the decline or successful coach leaves and players abandoning ship

2) talent base is improving and the players pushed to the end of the bench leave for more playing time.

The fact that A&M's classes jumped in quality going from #40-50 to #5-#15 indicates 3) is the primary reason why guys Eubanks/Smith left. And now with a 6-for-9 retention the last two years, the roster is now full and stacked by A&M standards. Anybody who is framing the transfers of Eubanks and Smith as a negative sign of the roster's health is fishing.
LawHall88
AG
mikesyracuse1
Pumpkinhead said:

txag72 said:

Quote:

However, you can state that one of the 2014 transfers specifically (Alex Robinson) did end up clearly hurting the 2016-2017 season because of how things played out.
I'll go so far as to say his "transfer" hurt the 2015-2016 season
Uhhh....no, I can't buy that.

We went 28-9 (13-5), SEC Co-Champs, #3 seed in NCAA tournament, NCAA Sweet Sixteen (losing to #2 seed Oklahoma who went to Final Four).

I liked Alex Robinson but arguing that had we had Robinson on the roster instead of Anthony Collins, that we'd have had an EVEN BETTER season than what we had in 2015-2016...that seems like a pretty big stretch. Was he the type of talent who was going to carry us to the Final Four on his shoulders, beating Buddy Hield, Cousins, Spangler, and co. in the Sweet Sixteen?

No. I've seen nothing to suggest he would have been THAT good. Not based on what he did here, nor what he did at TCU last year either.

I agree. Alex was way too much of a distraction while he was here on a senior heavy team that had a good mix of young guys. He had some talent, but just didn't get it as a teammate. He seems to have matured at TCU during their rebuilding under Jamie Dixon.

72 loves Robinson. More power to you 72. I hope he does well, but it didn't work for him in College Station.

mikesyracuse1
sincereag
LawHall88 said:

Another nice addition to our roster!!
txag72
AG
Quote:

72 loves Robinson. More power to you 72. I hope he does well, but it didn't work for him in College Station.
I don't "love" ARob, but it's a REAL mistake (that most argued that it wasn't at the time) made by BK, not all this "game rotation" complaining when he had no players to even rotate to or from because of this mistake.

Nebo has to sit a year, right?
Pumpkinhead
AG
txag72 said:

Quote:

I don't "love" ARob, but it's a REAL mistake (that most argued that it wasn't at the time) made by BK, not all this "game rotation" complaining when he had no players to even rotate to or from because of this mistake.

Nebo has to sit a year, right?

Although Kennedy is HC, I doubt the decision to bring in Anthony Collins rather than trusting Robinson was made in a vacuum. The entire coaching staff and the three seniors and team leaders Caruso, House, and Jones all had a lot on the line going into that season.
GE
AG
wacarnolds said:

RG20 said:

Sounds like a crappy job of recruiting...

Of Billy Kennedy's 23 recruiting signees, 13 have now transferred within 2 years or, in the case of Corprew, failed to qualify. Didn't include D. House or J. Jones, but both finished their 2 years here.

Broken down by class...

2012 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2013 - 3/5 were gone within 2 years
2014 - all 3 were gone within 2 years
2015 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years
2016 - 2/5 were gone within 2 years (won't be surprised to see a 3rd leave)
2015 was 3 of six actually
jml2621
sincereag said:

LawHall88 said:

Another nice addition to our roster!!

Trading Eubanks and Caleb (how little we one ye) for Wilson and Nebo is a good thing. Less temptation for BK to roll out another crappy rotation.

PatAg
AG
So Nebo has to sit the PG is able to play next year, right?
Method Man
Yes
LouisvilleAg
AG
GE said:

Somebody name a transfer out other than Robinson or Thomas that you really wish we had back
Avery Johnson Jr....now of course, we had no chance of keeping him once his dad got the Alabama job.
Double Diamond
Transfers happen. Not news. Goes on everywhere.
LawHall88
AG
LouisvilleAg said:

GE said:

Somebody name a transfer out other than Robinson or Thomas that you really wish we had back
Avery Johnson Jr....now of course, we had no chance of keeping him once his dad got the Alabama job.
I thought Fitzgerald when it happened but he then unfortunately blew out his knee a second time, so maybe not.
GE
AG
LouisvilleAg said:

GE said:

I think that goes back to Robinson. If we had Robinson WGAF about AJJ
Hop
Staff
AG
GE said:

wacarnolds said:

RG20 said:

Of Billy Kennedy's 23 recruiting signees, 13 have now transferred within 2 years or, in the case of Corprew, failed to qualify. Didn't include D. House or J. Jones, but both finished their 2 years here.

Broken down by class...

Are you referring to Mitchell? I don't think he ever joined the program. He landed at Memphis for his freshman year I believe.
Method Man
I really liked Davonte and we could've gawd Thomas.
TXAggie2011
AG
GE said:

LouisvilleAg said:

GE said:

I think that goes back to Robinson. If we had Robinson WGAF about AJJ

Maybe, but let's be real about something. Folks are quick to smile at additions through recruiting and transfers that add decent to better depth and real quick to dismiss losses that could have provided decent to better depth.
GE
AG
Hop said:

GE said:

wacarnolds said:

RG20 said:

Broken down by class...

Are you referring to Mitchell? I don't think he ever joined the program. He landed at Memphis for his freshman year I believe.
I was including Mitchell on the same basis that the person I responded to included Corprew. I think both signed LOIs but neither ever made it to campus.
wacarnolds
AG
GE said:

I was including Mitchell on the same basis that the person I responded to included Corprew. I think both signed LOIs but neither ever made it to campus.
I haven't seen anything stating that Mitchell signed an LOI, so I didn't include him.
GE
AG
wacarnolds said:

GE said:

I haven't seen anything stating that Mitchell signed an LOI, so I didn't include him.
I think he did because I remember Kennedy talking about him and don't think they're allowed to mention them specifically til they sign
Hop
Staff
AG
The transfer reports quoted are for players that entered the programs and then left. Neither Corprew or Mitchell ever made it to campus so you don't include them in the context of these studies.
BanderaAg956
Are we recruiting poorly?
Are we teaching and coaching poorly?
Are w me doing both the above?
Hop
Staff
AG
drevans956 said:

No
Pumpkinhead
AG
drevans956 said:

Any poster suggesting we have been recruiting 'poorly' the last few recruiting cycles...simply ask yourself this question:

Suppose hypothetically for next season at A&M you could have any of the current 14 SEC head coaches matched with any of the projected 14 SEC basketball rosters.

How many of the other SEC coaches would you choose before you got to picking Billy Kennedy?

And, how many of the projected rosters would you choose before you got to picking A&M's projected roster next season?

Personally, I would pick 10-11 of the other SEC coaches over Kennedy. But I would only pick maybe 2-3 of the other school rosters over ours.

I would be willing to bet many other posters feel the same way. The recent mistake of not having a better backup plan to Caldwell for 2016-2017 season aside, the past three recruiting classes (2015-2017) has been a very good stretch of some legit quality talent added to the roster.
GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

drevans956 said:

Any poster suggesting we have been recruiting 'poorly' the last few recruiting cycles...simply ask yourself this question:

Suppose hypothetically for next season at A&M you could have any of the current 14 SEC head coaches matched with any of the projected 14 SEC basketball rosters.

How many of the other SEC coaches would you choose before you got to picking Billy Kennedy?

And, how many of the projected rosters would you choose before you got to picking A&M's projected roster next season?

Personally, I would pick 10-11 of the other SEC coaches over Kennedy. But I would only pick maybe 2-3 of the other school rosters over ours.

I would be willing to bet many other posters feel the same way. The recent mistake of not having a better backup plan to Caldwell for 2016-2017 season aside, the past three recruiting classes (2015-2017) has been a very good stretch of some legit quality talent added to the roster.
Which rosters would you pick over ours?
wacarnolds
AG
None
GE
AG
wacarnolds said:

None
Me either. Time to put up or shutup. There is no excuse not to finish at least in the top three in the SEC each of the next two years if not win the damn thing.
Pumpkinhead
AG
GE said:

Pumpkinhead said:

drevans956 said:

Which rosters would you pick over ours?

Probably Kentucky, assuming they finish landing all their remaining 5-star targets.

And then I would perhaps at least consider the rosters at a couple of other schools like Florida.

But that is about it. The recruiting the past few years despite a hiccup or two has been generally excellent (particularly for a school like A&M). Look at next year's guys (see below) and you see a roster built after stacking back-to-back highly rated recruiting classes and then plugging in one grad transfer (Wilson) to address a veteran guard deficiency.

2016-2017 roster they made a mistake with no good Plan B at PG as mentioned, but the 2015-2016 roster was great and 2017-2018 looks great.

2014 Trocha
2015 Gilder, Davis, Hogg
2016 Williams, Caldwell, Vila
2017 Wilson (grad transfer), Starks, Flagg, Chandler, Jasey
Method Man
Where do female sheep get their savings accounts?
GE
AG
That is a baaaaaaaaad joke
Method Man
You're just pulling the wool over your eyes.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
CypressAg09 said:

I think Vila could be good. I hope he stays.
Definitely improved latter part of season .
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.