If Frank Martin can take lowly South Carolina to the Final Four

8,151 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

I shall dub this "Hoplogic":

"If this, this and this hadn't happened for Coach X, then he wouldn't have done well."

"If this, this and this had happened for Coach Y, then he would have done well."

"Therefore: Coach X = Coach Y"

I know it's tough for you, but stick to the topic here. If he goes to 1 NCAA in six years, is that not an automatic red flag for any Power 5 coach?

If he builds on this season and molds next year's No. 50 class and the returning veterans into another NCAA team and 2018 recruiting has an uptick from this season, then I'll say he has turned the program around and did a good job doing it.

You have been consistently beating the drum on 1 in 5 for several years. I assumed that applies to all coaches and all situations.
It certainly would be odd if someone had been "beating the drum on 1 in 5 for several years" since it only became "1 in 5" last March.
Hop
Staff
AG
JJxvi said:

Hop said:

free_mhayden said:

I shall dub this "Hoplogic":

"If this, this and this hadn't happened for Coach X, then he wouldn't have done well."

"If this, this and this had happened for Coach Y, then he would have done well."

"Therefore: Coach X = Coach Y"

I know it's tough for you, but stick to the topic here. If he goes to 1 NCAA in six years, is that not an automatic red flag for any Power 5 coach?

If he builds on this season and molds next year's No. 50 class and the returning veterans into another NCAA team and 2018 recruiting has an uptick from this season, then I'll say he has turned the program around and did a good job doing it.

You have been consistently beating the drum on 1 in 5 for several years. I assumed that applies to all coaches and all situations.
It certainly would be odd if someone had been "beating the drum on 1 in 5 for several years" since it only became "1 in 5" last March.

Thanks for your insight. It was 0-in-4 the year before. 0-3 the year before that and 0-2 the year before that. The same sentiment has been loud and constant over and over and over.

So now back to the topic discussion which some of you keep derailing. In previous discussions, y'all were pretty adamant that 1 in 5 for any coach under any circumstance is a red flag. So, if Martin regresses next year if Dozier leaves along w Notice and Thornwell, will he fall under your rule if he's 1-in-6?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Pomeroy Ratings, Martin took a team consistently in the 100's to a final four, while improving every year. Kennedy took a team rated above 50 for 5 consecutive years and had one year better than 50.

USCe
2017 - 25
2016 - 58
2015 - 63
2014 - 112
2013 - 209
2012 - 164
2011 - 131
2010 - 85
2009 - 72
2008 - 106
2007 - 126

A&M
2017 - 65
2016 - 18
2015 - 54
2014 - 111
2013 - 95
2012 - 122
2011 - 49
2010 - 16
2009 - 45
2008 - 21
2007 - 7
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

So now back to the topic discussion which some of you keep derailing.

Really?

Frank Martin aside, you truly live in your own little world.
JJxvi
AG
Hop said:

Thanks for your insight. It was 0-in-4 the year before. 0-3 the year before that and 0-2 the year before that. The same sentiment has been loud and constant over and over and over.

So now back to the topic discussion which some of you keep derailing. In previous discussions, y'all were pretty adamant that 1 in 5 for any coach under any circumstance is a red flag. So, if Martin regresses next year if Dozier leaves along w Notice and Thornwell, will he fall under your rule if he's 1-in-6?
I'm not going to speak for someone else, but I don't have "rules" like that. South Carolina in 2012 was a program where 1 in 5 was acceptable. Texas A&M in 2004 was a program where 1 in 5 was acceptable. We'd be talking about Kennedy like he was God's gift to basketball if 2011-2017 results came on the heels of 2003-04. Every circumstance is different and the more information you have the better conclusions you can draw. Billy Kennedy and Frank Martin are not comparable. Maybe their tenures at A&M and South Carolina have superficial similarities, but its a laughable comparison to make with regard to overall coaching quality. Completely ignoring Frank Martin's tenure at Kansas State (which is a better comp for the Texas A&M program we want to be, expecting to be competitive tournament contender every year as was accomplished by the previous regimes) is foolish. Billy Kennedy is a much more uncertain commodity because he does not have that Texas A&M-esque experience except for his disappointing tenure at A&M while Martin does.
_lefraud_
AG
Can I borrow some crayons to explain how making a F***ing FINAL FOUR is a tad different than making a sweet 16 by a once in a lifetime sports miracle.

Who moderates the moderators around here?
Pumpkinhead
AG
I would be okay with not making the NCAA for 4-5 years if there was a first ever Final Four in school history at the end of the rainbow.

JJxvi
AG
Frankly, I actually do give Kennedy a boost honestly for the SEC title last year and only our 3rd sweet sixteen or else I'd really be banging the pot. Making the Final Four would pretty much make him a heroic figure. It would take several seasons of John Brady-esque collapse before I wanted him fired. He's got a roster next year that a good coach or a lucky coach could do it. I'm doubtful we will achieve the potential of that roster, but I have high hopes that maybe we'll get lucky.
Pumpkinhead
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Can I borrow some crayons to explain how making a F***ing FINAL FOUR is a tad different than making a sweet 16 by a once in a lifetime sports miracle

Why you giving up on South Carolina? They still have a chance to win a national championship.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't have such a rule, either. I've always consistently cited the situation Frank Martin inherited and the lack of anything inherent about the University of South Carolina that suggests it should be a successful basketball team.
JJxvi
AG
Now for a real argument. Who's the better coach...Frank Martin or Buzz Williams.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

If he builds on this season and molds next year's No. 50 class and the returning veterans into another NCAA team and 2018 recruiting has an uptick from this season

I'm going to throw you a bone, Hop, sort of...

Why should his recruiting rankings alone mean anything? Shouldn't the criteria be "2018 recruiting has an uptick and then he wins with those recruits"?

I think this perspective is just indicative of why you clash so often with folks on a number of topics.

You seem to think recruiting rankings are some sort of end in themselves while I would say they're nothing more than a means to an end.

If he doesn't win with those recruits, it just doesn't matter. Without the wins, it's worth no more than some temporary weak message board smack talk.

You so often obscure what I think is actually the important part of coaching basketball, and that's wins and losses.
TXAggie2011
AG
It's that's same obscuring of wins and losses that has you boiling a Final Four down to be no different than a Sweet 16 appearance.

A Final Four is just "1 of 5" the same way a Sweet 16 is just "1 of 5".
TXAggie2011
AG
p.s. You haven't even looked at Frank Martin's 2018 recruiting?

How can you accuse a guy of doing or not "building the program" if you haven't even investigated the facts?

You're lucky because I don't think he has any commits but my gosh, you repeatedly expose yourself as making conclusions before looking at the facts.

p.p.s. There is a 5 star down the road in Spartanburg, SC names Zion Williamson. Their fans chanted "we want Zion" the other day. We'll see if they get him.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Can I borrow some crayons to explain how making a F***ing FINAL FOUR is a tad different than making a sweet 16 by a once in a lifetime sports miracle.

Who moderates the moderators around here?

Agree with this.

Kennedy made a sweet 16 - and the only reason it was even remotely "neat" was the fact that his team mounted a huge comback against a lower seed to advance, where they were run out by OU.

That's a very poor "high water" mark, no matter how you slice it.
BBDP
AG
1 final 4 in a career is better than most.
Deputy Travis Junior
Hop said:

Does Brandon realize he's paying you to troll his boards? Or do you honestly believe that Martin's awesome five years at KSU shouldn't buy him any "he knows what he's doing" leeway? And Huggins didn't "build that program" as you keep repeating; Huggins was in Manhattan for 1 year, Martin was there for 5. Not even Charlie Strong fanboys would take credit for that.

Here's reality, Hop: In 10 years, Martin has made the tournament 5x. He's made the Elite 8 twice and the Final 4 once. He has not merely made 1 tournament in 5 years. In addition, you have made no acknowledgement of the situation that he inherited at South Carolina. Specifically:
  • That program has ZERO history. Quantifying that, prior to this year, they hadn't won a tournament game in about 5 decades.
  • In the 3 years prior to his arrival, in SEC play USC finished 6-10 in year 1, 5-11 in year 2, and then bottomed out at 2-14 in year 3 right before he arrived. That is absolutely horrific. It's as roaring as a dumpster fire can get without adding fissionable plutonium. Elston Turner, a D-league/Euro league-caliber player just ****ing around and jacking up shots, with no offensive system, was able to drag us to a 7-11 record.
So in summary, Martin walked into an uphill battle that was so steep it would be more accurate to call it an up-cliff battle. He had no talent, no recruiting panache, no history, nothing. Just his wits and his skill. Their RPI, Kenpom, and visible skill increased every single year, and now they're in the Final Four. That's ****ing amazing.

Stop pretending his performance is analogous to Kennedy's. It's not even slightly so. Even Billy Kennedy himself would say the same.
TXAggie2011
AG
Boom. End thread.
Mikeyshooter
AG
jja79 said:

I played golf yesterday with a guy who is not an A&M grad but lives in Traditions and has BB season tickets. He told me he feels we get out of the program what we put into it. Very poor fan support, mediocre facility, no AD support, low end financial commitment.

Maybe low end for coaching salary but pretty sure we are in top 25 in basketball spending.
zooguy96
Frank Martin made South Carolina much better. He walked into a situation where they were the absolute scum of the SEC, and has them in the final four. He has a career .626 winning percentage.

Under Billy Kennedy, A&M has regressed. He walked into a situation where A&M had been in the tournment 6 straight years (making the 2nd round every year) and promptly went 14-18,18-16, and 18-15. He got lucky with 2 transfers (House and Jones) to his credit and had one good season. He has a career .553 when winning percentage.

Quit acting like these are 2 similar situations. Martin is WAY superior to BK. But, don't let the facts get in the way of this silliness.
GE
AG
zooguy96 said:

Frank Martin made South Carolina much better.

Under Billy Kennedy, A&M has regressed.

Quit acting like these are 2 similar situations.
If you were a head coach taking over the Aggie program would you rather take it over right now or when Kennedy did?
_lefraud_
AG
GE said:

zooguy96 said:

If you were a head coach taking over the Aggie program would you rather take it over right now or when Kennedy did?

Would you rather have Frank Martin or Billy Kennedy as your head basketball coach?
ontheway
AG
We have a head basketball coach
TXAggie2011
AG
GE said:

zooguy96 said:

At this junction in time, I'd say the natural talent on the roster is better now, but I'd look at when Kennedy took over more confident this is a program that you can win at consistently. And I'd still think the rider given to me was one I could win immediately with. Take you pick. I'm not sure I'd lean heavily either way.

A couple of years ago, Kennedy wouldn't have the recruiting or the results to give me confidence in taking over. And if he doesn't pull together a good recruiting class this next cycle (in what to me is a pretty thin group of recruits within Texas), the roster might not look so favorable in a year.

It's a nice moment in time to talk about Kennedy's talent the same way it's certainly convenient for Frank Martin.

But I think you're kind of confusing two issues here. Frank Martin's convenience is from results while Kennedy's is anchored in recruiting rankings. And with that said, a coach is not successful at a program because he leaves more talent than he found. A coach is successful at a program if he wins there.

The wins and losses up to this point have absolutely regressed in my mind.
Blue Duck
AG
He's also not very good at his job and that's the problem.
Goodfield Nohit
Quote:

Certainly a nice run with this veteran team. Kudos for a great year....it's still just 1 in 5 though.

And this is why this website is trash. Hop is A&M's Randolph Duke of the basketball world.
Hop
Staff
AG
JJxvi said:

Hop said:

I'm not going to speak for someone else, but I don't have "rules" like that. South Carolina in 2012 was a program where 1 in 5 was acceptable. Texas A&M in 2004 was a program where 1 in 5 was acceptable. We'd be talking about Kennedy like he was God's gift to basketball if 2011-2017 results came on the heels of 2003-04. Every circumstance is different and the more information you have the better conclusions you can draw. Billy Kennedy and Frank Martin are not comparable. Maybe their tenures at A&M and South Carolina have superficial similarities, but its a laughable comparison to make with regard to overall coaching quality. Completely ignoring Frank Martin's tenure at Kansas State (which is a better comp for the Texas A&M program we want to be, expecting to be competitive tournament contender every year as was accomplished by the previous regimes) is foolish. Billy Kennedy is a much more uncertain commodity because he does not have that Texas A&M-esque experience except for his disappointing tenure at A&M while Martin does.

First of all, I have made no mention whatsoever of Kennedy's coaching ability or how he compares to Martin in this thread. I have made it very clear that Martin has done a great job with this team. So once again, y'all lose your mind because you think there is some phantom conversation that I'm somehow saying Kennedy is better than Martin. The issue is this community and practicing what you preach. When discussing a coach you dislike for years, you make absolute statements like "any coach that can only go to 1 NCAA in 3,4,5,6 years should be fired." Then when A&M had a big season and went to the Sweet 16, the response was "the coach can only do it with a bunch of veteran seniors then he'll go another 2-3 years without an NCAA. A good coach doesn't rebuild every 2-3 years. A good coach reloads." Then the team actually does take a step back and it's repeated many times a day on this board "1-in-6 is unacceptable under any circumstance."

So I'm just asking does that apply to all college coaches? South Carolina loses two of its best players who are senior starters. Their 6th/7th man is a senior. If Dozier goes pro which has been speculated, that means USCe loses its three best players and chances are realistic this program takes a step back and that means possibly 1-in-6. If Martin hangs on to Dozier and whips his guys into another NCAA team, it's a moot point. It will be an impressive feat. But what if he goes 18-14 and has gone to the NCAA 1-in-6 years? That's my simple question to those that have been pounding that absolute "1-in-5(now 6)" mantra for months and months here.

I will use a past Kennedy debate point to prove my point. That doesn't mean I'm defending the guy's record at A&M. I'm talking about the argument. I've brought up numerous times that Kennedy had a big coaching accomplishment at SE Louisiana taking that program from a single digit win team to its first and only NCAA berth in school history. I actually did receive responses saying he went to one NCAA in five years and that wasn't a big deal, even at SE Louisiana.

So context and type of program is not relevant there, but y'all are using the exact same argument why it's OK that Martin took five years to make the NCAA. Where's the consistency in your arguments?

So if the downtrodden SE Louisiana program doesn't alter the context of the "1-in-5" debate in some eyes here, then why does a P5 South Carolina program give Martin cover for the "1-in-6"? Again, I think Martin has done a good job this year. My argument isn't with him as a coach. It's with this constant "1-in-5" hammer that is persistent on this board, but inconsistently applied.

Hop
Staff
AG
zooguy96 said:

Frank Martin made South Carolina much better. He walked into a situation where they were the absolute scum of the SEC, and has them in the final four. He has a career .626 winning percentage.

Under Billy Kennedy, A&M has regressed. He walked into a situation where A&M had been in the tournment 6 straight years (making the 2nd round every year) and promptly went 14-18,18-16, and 18-15. He got lucky with 2 transfers (House and Jones) to his credit and had one good season. He has a career .553 when winning percentage.

Quit acting like these are 2 similar situations. Martin is WAY superior to BK. But, don't let the facts get in the way of this silliness.
Yeah, I'm overwhelmed with your "facts"..."He got lucky with 2 transfers (House and Jones) to his credit and had one good season." Thanks for setting me straight with those "facts".

Again, all I'm asking is a simple question. If Martin misses the NCAA's next season, do you think he deserves criticism for going to the dance once in six seasons?
Blue Duck
AG
If you had 2 teams with 10 identical players on them, one coached by our man and the other coached by Frank Martin who wins?

Martin's teams hang their hat on defense, what is Billy Kennedy's best attribute as a coach?
Hop
Staff
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Hop said:

Does Brandon realize he's paying you to troll his boards? Or do you honestly believe that Martin's awesome five years at KSU shouldn't buy him any "he knows what he's doing" leeway? And Huggins didn't "build that program" as you keep repeating; Huggins was in Manhattan for 1 year, Martin was there for 5. Not even Charlie Strong fanboys would take credit for that.

Here's reality, Hop: In 10 years, Martin has made the tournament 5x. He's made the Elite 8 twice and the Final 4 once. He has not merely made 1 tournament in 5 years. In addition, you have made no acknowledgement of the situation that he inherited at South Carolina. Specifically:
  • That program has ZERO history. Quantifying that, prior to this year, they hadn't won a tournament game in about 5 decades.
  • In the 3 years prior to his arrival, in SEC play USC finished 6-10 in year 1, 5-11 in year 2, and then bottomed out at 2-14 in year 3 right before he arrived. That is absolutely horrific. It's as roaring as a dumpster fire can get without adding fissionable plutonium. Elston Turner, a D-league/Euro league-caliber player just ****ing around and jacking up shots, with no offensive system, was able to drag us to a 7-11 record.
So in summary, Martin walked into an uphill battle that was so steep it would be more accurate to call it an up-cliff battle. He had no talent, no recruiting panache, no history, nothing. Just his wits and his skill. Their RPI, Kenpom, and visible skill increased every single year, and now they're in the Final Four. That's ****ing amazing.

Stop pretending his performance is analogous to Kennedy's. It's not even slightly so. Even Billy Kennedy himself would say the same.

Wait, wait.... you think Bob HUggins had no impact on the KSU program and it was Martin that built it?

In the 11 months that Huggins was there, he signed three 5-stars and two 4-stars. He also signed Jacob Pullen and Fred Brown who were starters. In that 2006-2007 recruiting class, Huggins signed two 5-stars and a 4-star in the fall, Martin signed three 3-stars in the spring. In Martin's first year, players that signed under Huggins accounted for 88% of the team's scoring. Martin's signees accounted for 9% of scoring production.

Michael Beasley and Bill Walker put KSU in the map.

Come on...suggesting that Huggins had little impact on the KSU program in his one year there is uninformed.
TXAggie2011
AG
If you wanted to "practice what you preach", you wouldn't bring up SE Louisiana because it's "not relevant to what Kennedy has done at A&M." Stop acting like you're the epitome of fairness and morality.

It was actually 1 for 6, by the way.

I don't think anyone really cares much about what he did or didn't do at SE Louisiana. Johnny Jones took UNT to heights it had never achieved. You don't have to be much of a good coach to make history in a weak conference at a school with no history.

You receive most of the push back there because it comes alongside 1 for 5 at Murray State and now 1 for 6 at A&M. There is a pattern and a multi-decade career of not making the NCAA much.

You have a hard time taking and keeping comments in context.
_lefraud_
AG
Hop said:

zooguy96 said:

Yeah, I'm overwhelmed with your "facts"..."He got lucky with 2 transfers (House and Jones) to his credit and had one good season." Thanks for setting me straight with those "facts".

Again, all I'm asking is a simple question. If Martin misses the NCAA's next season, do you think he deserves criticism for going to the dance once in six seasons?

No!!! He has achieved making the FINAL FOUR at F****** SOUTH CAROLINA. Do you have any clue how incredible that feat is?
Hop
Staff
AG
Blue Duck said:

If you had 2 teams with 10 identical players on them, one coached by our man and the other coached by Frank Martin who wins?

Martin's teams hang their hat on defense, what is Billy Kennedy's best attribute as a coach?
I'm not arguing that proposition. Do y'all not read my posts? I've posted hundreds of times now that I think the timing is right to make a coaching change now.

I want to know if Martin deserves criticism for going to 1 NCAA in six years if his team (that loses its two dominant players and possibly three) regresses and misses the tournament next year? It's a simple question.
Hop
Staff
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hop said:

zooguy96 said:

No!!! He has achieved making the FINAL FOUR at F****** SOUTH CAROLINA. Do you have any clue how incredible that feat is?
Yes I do. I have repeatedly said I'm impressed with the job he's done this season. So you are saying that an absolute "1-in-6" argument is really not that absolute?
TXAggie2011
AG
Folks have answered that question time and time again. In this thread. In other threads.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.