John Thompson Fired

3,142 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SACR
mikesyracuse1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another coaching change today as Georgetown fires Coach Thompson. It probably would have happened earlier, but the administration is extremely loyal to his father.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18984268/georgetown-hoyas-parting-ways-john-thompson-iii
http://es.pn/2nsfMap

This was a protest planned by students for tommorow prior to this announcement

http://www.casualhoya.com/platform/amp/2017/3/23/15031162/georgetown-hoyas-basketball-john-thompson-iii-jack-degioia-campus-protest

Mikesyracuse1
Belton Ag
AG
One of the potential pitfalls of hiring the legacy of a legend like that is what to do if he fails and how difficult it would be to fire him.

Although he did take them to a Final Four and breathed new life into the program.
Yell Practice
humm . . . surprised he was fired.
benjamintito
AG
Belton Ag said:

One of the potential pitfalls of hiring the legacy of a legend like that is what to do if he fails and how difficult it would be to fire him.

Although he did take them to a Final Four and breathed new life into the program.
He had Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert, both of whom were recruited by his predecessor. 2 NBA players is recipe for Final 4. He has consistently underperformed the last decade and has only put 5 players into regular rotation in NBA. IMO, with the big name brand of Georgetown he should have many more.
Mike Elko
AG
$20 says they don't hire a white guy.
bobinator
AG
That dude sucks. He was on Scott Drew's level of wasting talent but he never got any better.
bobinator
AG
I'm trying to think of who makes sense as the next Georgetown coach and have come up empty so far.

Jeff Capel maybe?
Method Man
Wait. People are insinuating he got fired because he's black?!! He is bad.
wacarnolds
AG
bobinator said:

I'm trying to think of who makes sense as the next Georgetown coach and have come up empty so far.

Jeff Capel maybe?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Method Man said:

Wait. People are insinuating he got fired because he's black?!! He is bad.

Who his saying that?
TMartin
Hard to live in your father's shadow.
mikesyracuse1
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Jeff Capel maybe?

Yep. Looking that way. A couple of other names in addition to Ewing is Tommy Amaker and Shaka Smart.

Mikesyracuse1
Method Man
Austin Ag
Aggie09Derek
AG
I didn't take it as that I guess.
wacarnolds
AG
mikesyracuse1 said:

wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Jeff Capel maybe?

Yep. Looking that way. A couple of other names in addition to Ewing is Tommy Amaker and Shaka Smart.

Mikesyracuse1
Not sure what Shaka's buyout is, but he's guaranteed $3M per for the next 5 years. Georgetown was apparently paying JT3 $3.6M, so I guess they have the money to make it happen. Seems doubtful, though.

Amaker is interesting, but I'm guessing he's enjoying a cush job with low expectations.
wacarnolds
AG
Why don't they hire Chris Mack?
Nino Brown
Goose
AG
Nino Brown said:

Reportedly not real big on "practice".
bobinator
AG
At least Ewing is an NBA assistant... but there have to be more qualified candidates
Mike Elko
AG
Method Man said:

Austin Ag
WTF are you talking about? Either your reading comprehension is terrible, or you're a troll... Probably both.
McInnis80
I look at Georgetown basketball like I do Miami football. Used to be a national power, but it's been awhile. Look at where Georgetown ranks in new Big East. They are behind their old buddies Villanova, Seton Hall and Providence as well as the new kids of Butler and Creighton. The DC area is a traditional hoops hotbed, so there should be enough players to build a good team inside the beltway.

If Shaka feels like Austin was not a good fit, I could see him talking to the Hoyas, but I would much rather coach in Austin.
Method Man
AustinAg2012 said:

Sorry. I read too much into this "inocuous" statement.
Mike Elko
AG
Method Man said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Sorry. I read too much into this "inocuous" statement.
*innocuous

Okay, I forgive you.
Method Man
You're a nobody and your forgiveness is unwanted.
Mike Elko
AG
Cool, tough guy. You apologized. Go start another worthless thread since you crave the attention so dearly.
hoya-ag
AG
According to Casual Hoya who broke the JTIII news, Tommy Amaker and Shaka Smart are being considered. Ewing will certainly be considered.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/23/15040338/georgetown-hoyas-basketball-coaching-search-tommy-amaker-shaka-smart-patrick-ewing-danny-hurley
JJxvi
AG
Shaka Smart, huh? Does he already recognize that its time to jump off the ship?
hoya-ag
AG
I would assume that Shaka is not a serious candidate, but I don't know that for sure.
Mike Elko
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Like I said... Ewing hired.
SilverTongueDevil
Wow. Terrible choice. Ewing has no college coaching experience and hasnt been in the college game since 1984. No head coaching experience. I get the alumni thing but this isnt going to end well.

You can look at Chris Mullen at St. Johns to get an idea of how this is going to turn out.
bobinator
AG
I think college basketball coaching has taken a step backwards in the cronyism department. There are plenty of good young coaches who are qualified for this job and instead they go with a guy with no college coaching experience.

I have nothing against Patrick Ewing, and I'm sure the fans will love him, but I just don't think he has the credentials for this job.
SilverTongueDevil
bobinator said:

I think college basketball coaching has taken a step backwards in the cronyism department. There are plenty of good young coaches who are qualified for this job and instead they go with a guy with no college coaching experience.

I have nothing against Patrick Ewing, and I'm sure the fans will love him, but I just don't think he has the credentials for this job.
Completely agree. It speaks volumes that he has been an NBA assistant for 15 years with no HC offers.
hoya-ag
AG
From everything that I have read no one that we would really want is going to want to take this job until big John is gone.
jml2621
wacarnolds said:

bobinator said:

Jeff Capel maybe?

Good call.
jml2621
SilverTongueDevil said:

Wow. Terrible choice. Ewing has no college coaching experience and hasnt been in the college game since 1984. No head coaching experience. I get the alumni thing but this isnt going to end well.

You can look at Chris Mullen at St. Johns to get an idea of how this is going to turn out.

Ewing does have more overall aching experience and is widely respected. whether he can recruit and handle college kids today is TBD.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.