Turgeon loses first round

4,121 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by farmer1
aggiebones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Method Man said:

We would've made it 3-4 times.

Bullshart, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
TangoMike
aggiebones said:

Method Man said:

We would've made it 3-4 times.

Bullshart, but whatever helps you sleep at night.

definitely tournament-quality rosters. if we're giving rosters straight up, I'll accept that not many coaches could have made lemonade out of the crap rosters Kennedy-Cyprien assembled in 2013 and 2014
TXAggie2011
AG
Everyone---everyone---thought the 2012 team was NCAA quality. You can bicker about the effects of injuries on that team's performance but everyone that wasn't a sour Aggie thought that rosterNCAA worthy.

He's easily made the NCAA tournament the last 3 seasons at Maryland. 4-seed, 5-seed, 6-seed.

You can bicker about the ease of putting together an NCAA roster at Maryland, but again, he's made the tournament with ease at Maryland.

At every stop, he's had NCAA quality teams late in his tenure built on his own recruiting efforts. He had a Sweet 16 team at WSU, he had year 4 and 5 NCAA quality at A&M and he's been winning 24+ games and had a high seed in years 4 through 6 at Maryland.

Hardly a stretch to think A&M would have been a regular NCAA team.
TXAggie2011
AG
What I don't really get is why this is a recurring topic 6 years after the fact. (Well I do but you understand...)

You can say "well, TXAggie2011, you're still talking about it too". Well, stop making these threads and statements and you won't see me say a thing about Mark Turgeon.
t - cam
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Everyone---everyone---thought the 2012 team was NCAA quality. You can bicker about the effects of injuries on that team's performance but everyone that wasn't a sour Aggie thought that rosterNCAA worthy.

He's easily made the NCAA tournament the last 3 seasons at Maryland. 4-seed, 5-seed, 6-seed.

You can bicker about the ease of putting together an NCAA roster at Maryland, but again, he's made the tournament with ease at Maryland.

At every stop, he's had NCAA quality teams late in his tenure built on his own recruiting efforts. He had a Sweet 16 team at WSU, he had year 4 and 5 NCAA quality at A&M and he's been winning 24+ games and had a high seed in years 4 through 6 at Maryland.

Hardly a stretch to think A&M would have been a regular NCAA team.
I don't believe in hindsight you can consider 2012 an NCAA roster even with Turgeon as the coach. I don't care how overrated it was entering the season.
TXAggie2011
AG
It had the 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8th in minutes played back from a 24-win 8-seed plus Elston Turner (who had already been a top bench guy for a Washington NCAA Sweet 16 team).

(((To round off the depths of the bench, you had Jamal Branch who went on at St John's to be a 25-minute, 6th man on NCAA team and Jordan Green)))

I loved Walkup and Holmes---two of my favorite guys as a student--- but the argument the roster wasn't NCAA capable is that a year of experience for Loubeau, Middleton, et. al. plus Elston Turner (plus Branch and Green) couldn't really sniff what Holmes and Walkup brought to the team. I think that's a debatable proposition, at best, from your viewpoint.
SigAg6
AG
Who?
Pumpkinhead
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

It had the 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8th in minutes played back from a 24-win 8-seed plus Elston Turner (who had already been a top bench guy for a Washington NCAA Sweet 16 team).

(((To round off the depths of the bench, you had Jamal Branch who went on at St John's to be a 25-minute, 6th man on NCAA team and Jordan Green)))

I loved Walkup and Holmes---two of my favorite guys as a student--- but the argument the roster wasn't NCAA capable is that a year of experience for Loubeau, Middleton, et. al. plus Elston Turner (plus Branch and Green) couldn't really sniff what Holmes and Walkup brought to the team. I think that's a debatable proposition, at best, from your viewpoint.
Hypothetically, if these following things had happened to Turgeon:

1) He got diagnosed with Parkinsons and was not allowed to be with the team during all of Fall practices.
2) He had hired an entirely new staff, who were now all working together for the first time with a bunch of players that they were unfamiliar with, trying to figure things out all while Turgeon was forced to stay at home on medical leave.
3) Middleton had to have knee surgery shortly after the season started missing a few weeks right off the bat.
4) Branch decided to quit the team in December.
5) Kourtney Roberson breaks his ankle in December and is lost for the rest of the season.
6) Dash Harris gets injured mid-conference play and is lost for multiple games.

If all the above exact same things happened to Mark Turgeon, do we still think Turgeon coaches a team in the NCAAT that March?

We will never know obviously. And I think Turge is a good coach. But Count me as a fan who never held the very first season that much against Kennedy, cause it just seemed like a FUBAR situation that many coaches would have had a hard time dealing with.

My own feelings on Kennedy are more based on his overall performance of only 1 NCAAT and 1 NIT in the first 6 years. Which is clearly a step down in post-season play from the BCG/Turgeon years.

Now I do really like the recruiting the past 2-3 years, which has certainly kept things interesting.
TXAggie2011
AG
There is a lot in that but also nothing relevant to my post. I'm certainly not in the mood to once gain relitgate Kennedy's results in his first season; my thoughts have been given before. Several times.
farmer1
AG
Good talent but no coach
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.