We should be a perennial top 20 in every sport!

6,177 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAggie2011
Pioneer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To the posters wanting to drain the swamp. Name the sports that have won an SEC title.

I know volleyball did in 2015. Did basketball tie that same year? I would bet tennis and or soccer did too, and possibly track.
BQ_90
AG
Soccer both regular season tourney
Baseball (tourney)
Volleyball
WBB (tourney)
Woman's swimming and diving

Not sure about the other non rev sports
Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Hop said:

Iowaggie said:

It's amazing how the blue bloods in basketball stay at the top while there is a rotation of challengers. Probably more in basketball than in football, or maybe about the same.

Duke, NC, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA., Mich St (and more)..and then these good to great, well financed athletic departments that rotate to the top in basketball (MIchigan, Florida, Ohio State) but don't perennially stay there.

In other words, here is little in history that suggests A&M should be consistently in the Top 20.

A few years ago, I had a client from Kansas who was a big Jayhawk fan and a season ticket holder. He needed to come visit me in CS and I offered to take him to the A&M-Kansas game at Reed. I have first row mid-court seats.

So we get to my seats and he is pumped to have such good seats. He said his season tickets were about even with the backboard and halfway up the arena. He paid about $20,000 a year for his tickets. He then asked me what my court side tickets cost, and I said about a grand. His jaw dropped. I asked him what it would cost to have my seats at Kansas. He said about $250,000.

That tells you why Kansas, UNC, Kentucky will always be blue bloods...$$$$$$$

Their football tickets probably cost as much as our basketball tickets, but at least they are dominant in one particular sport.
Austin Ag
AG
OP is right. It should be a Florida vs A&M battle every year for the most SEC championships.
maxnow21
Ur just a en tit led spioled brate a
Austin Ag
AG
SEC 2016 Athletic Budgets:

1 Texas A&M SEC $192,608,876
2 Alabama SEC $148,911,674
3 Florida SEC $147,105,242
4 LSU SEC $138,642,237
5 Tennessee SEC $126,584,033
6 Auburn SEC $124,657,247
7 Kentucky SEC $116,494,690
8 Georgia SEC $116,151,279
9 Arkansas SEC $114,172,847
10 South Carolina SEC $113,172,545
11 Missouri SEC $91,217,778
12 Mississippi SEC $87,602,519
13 Mississippi State SEC $75,400,407

Vandy is private and would not disclose.
jml2621
bobinator said:

jml2621 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that

Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Miss State

made significant recent upgrades in coaching.
Unless we do, we're a 1 in 5 year NCAAT team.

I'm not sure Tennessee made a huge upgrade in coaching, and they also didn't do it willingly. And Alabama hasn't done anything yet under Avery. For that matter neither have Auburn or Mississippi State with their coaches. They all seem like they're getting better, but none of them are tournament teams yet.

You realize, that the definition of an upgrade, right.

South Carolina, too. We have more talent than USCe, TN, MSU, Auburn, Bama. We're 0-3 against this cohort and look primed to run the table in losses against them.

Drain the swamp.
bobinator
AG
That isn't actually the definition of an upgrade, but okay.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

There's a gulf between "perennial top 20" and "perennial tournament team." The latter is a reasonable goal for our program. There's no reason we can't be in the mix for the tournament almost every year. The former is delusional.
I would say "appear in the top 20 every year" is doable, haha. I still dont get how they screwed up what we had going here. 7 trips in a row, a rabid, rowdy awesome home environment, actual traditions springing up naturally.

Then BK happened.
biobioprof
BQ_90 said:

Soccer both regular season tourney
Baseball (tourney)
Volleyball
WBB (tourney)
Woman's swimming and diving

Not sure about the other non rev sports
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southeastern_Conference_champions

Men's tennis
Women's tennis
Men's outdoor track and field
Women's outdoor track and field
Women's golf
zooguy96
So we're winning in all the non-revenue sports that don't really matter.

Woo hoo!

Football and Men's basketball and maybe baseball are the only sports that really matter. They flagship a university.

AND WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM. JUST LOOK WHAT OUR INCOMPETENT ADMINISTRATION DOES. YOU GUESSED IT.

N O T H I N G.

We are #1 in revenue BY FAR and yet we get federal government style results.

Another reason why I will not watch or attend Aggie sports until at least Sumlin is gone.
agnerd
AG
Austin Ag said:

4 LSU SEC $138,642,237

That's revenue, not budget:
NCAA Finances

Click the "Total Expenses" column to sort by budget.

1. Alabama $132mil
2. Florida $125mil
3. LSU $122mil
4. Auburn $115mil
5. Kentucky $115mil
6. Tennessee $113mil
7. Texas A&M $109mil
8. South Carolina $107mil
9. Arkansas $97mil
10. Georgia $97mil
11. Missouri $87mil
12. Ole Miss $82mil
13. Miss St $69mil

Coincidentally, remove Kentucky's basketball obsession and you're pretty close to the final football standings from the end of this year.
clark06
The school that always amazes me is Louisville. They are a relatively small state school that somehow produces top 25 teams in football, men and women's basketball, track and field, volleyball, and baseball. They do this while having a larger in state rival in a premier conference, and the school's academics are not too bad (admitted bias since I work in healthcare, but their health/science center gets solid NIH funding). How do they pull that off?
zooguy96
I'm assuming that their administration doesn't stand for mediocrity.
bobinator
AG
They have good funding, and their AD has a good eye for coaching, but they've also had some rough patches in football. They've lost coaches to bigger schools, they've hired some coaches that sucked, etc.
zooguy96
So, basically, we have more $$ left over (revenue over expenses) and do less with it than say every school except maybe..... Kentucky? Because at least KY is good in basketball. We are only consistently good (not elite) in baseball... mediocre in everything else.

It's a shame that our administration thinks its ok to make tons of $$ but squander it and only compete in obscure sports that nobody cares about.

And most Aggies will be ok with it because they really don't care either.....

Sad state of affairs.
JJxvi
AG
We dont really have money left over. That extra money is revenue generated in order to pay off the capital expenditure invested into the football stadium.
zooguy96
JJxvi said:

We dont really have money left over. That extra money is revenue generated in order to pay off the capital expenditure invested into the football stadium.

The point is that we're doing less with more than almost any school in the SEC.
Spiritofaggieland
AG
agnerd said:

Austin Ag said:

4 LSU SEC $138,642,237

That's revenue, not budget:
NCAA Finances

Click the "Total Expenses" column to sort by budget.

1. Alabama $132mil
2. Florida $125mil
3. LSU $122mil
4. Auburn $115mil
5. Kentucky $115mil
6. Tennessee $113mil
7. Texas A&M $109mil
8. South Carolina $107mil
9. Arkansas $97mil
10. Georgia $97mil
11. Missouri $87mil
12. Ole Miss $82mil
13. Miss St $69mil

Coincidentally, remove Kentucky's basketball obsession and you're pretty close to the final football standings from the end of this year.

That means A&M made a huge profit...going to pay for Kyle Field reno in no small part...but there's capital for coaching turnover. Financially, this year will be better than next. Which is why I recommend coaching changes this year, rather than waiting until next and less capital may be available.
Austin Ag
AG
My point is we don't have to accept non-performing sports. We need to act like the big boys now.

Look what happens when you hire the very best coach in their field. We have seen it.

Gary Blair -- without a doubt a top 10 women's basketball coach when hired. 15 years of post season play out of his first 18 years of head coaching. The Aggie Women's Basketball program was a disaster. Before Blair the Aggies played 29 seasons and only made post season 3 times (2 NCAA and 1 NIT).

After Blair is hired the Aggies have made postseason every year but once (1 NIT and 10 straight NCAA)

By all accounts there is no way Gary Blair should have ever taken the Aggie job. I bet his friends were all saying WHAT? Wait for the Texas job to open up, or La Tech for that matter!

Pat Henry -- This one is even more crazy. In his 17 years at LSU, Henry won 27 national titles, 17 SEC titles, 15 SEC Coach of the Year awards, and five National Coach of the Year awards.

The ONLY coach to win Men's and Women's Track National Champions in the same year...and he did it 3 times at LSU.

Look at A&M track program history. There is none. One Big 12 Outdoor Companionship and a few individual awards.

After Henry takes over his first year is rough but then he rattles off 13 SEC Championships and 6 national championships.

Again. His friends must have thought him crazy. He went to a college that didn't even have a track that is good enough to host a High School Track Meet (AND STILL DOESN'T!!!)

We need to grow a pair and go out and hire the best in EVERY sport. The results will follow. And add gymnastics while we are at it.
zooguy96
Austin Ag said:

My point is we don't have to accept non-performing sports. We need to act like the big boys now.

Look what happens when you hire the very best coach in their field. We have seen it.

Gary Blair -- without a doubt a top 10 women's basketball coach when hired. 15 years of post season play out of his first 18 years of head coaching. The Aggie Women's Basketball program was a disaster. Before Blair the Aggies played 29 seasons and only made post season 3 times (2 NCAA and 1 NIT).

After Blair is hired the Aggies have made postseason every year but once (1 NIT and 10 straight NCAA)

By all accounts there is no way Gary Blair should have ever taken the Aggie job. I bet his friends were all saying WHAT? Wait for the Texas job to open up, or La Tech for that matter!

Pat Henry -- This one is even more crazy. In his 17 years at LSU, Henry won 27 national titles, 17 SEC titles, 15 SEC Coach of the Year awards, and five National Coach of the Year awards.

The ONLY coach to win Men's and Women's Track National Champions in the same year...and he did it 3 times at LSU.

Look at A&M track program history. There is none. One Big 12 Outdoor Companionship and a few individual awards.

After Henry takes over his first year is rough but then he rattles off 13 SEC Championships and 6 national championships.

Again. His friends must have thought him crazy. He went to a college that didn't even have a track that is good enough to host a High School Track Meet (AND STILL DOESN'T!!!)

We need to grow a pair and go out and hire the best in EVERY sport. The results will follow. And add gymnastics while we are at it.

THIS! THIS! THIS! Our admin has no cajones with major sports!
bobinator
AG
Or, and this is just a thought, you can't just go buy the best coaches in men's hoops and football for a million bucks.
old yeller
AG
Austin Ag said:

You can money whip coaches in lesser sports and, to be blunt, in sports that the majority of your fan base really don't care about. Not so in football and hoops.
Agnzona
That might be true, but then you keep trying with younger guys until you got the one. Settling should never be an option.
TXAggie2011
AG
You can't moneywhip the men's basketball Pat Henry but there's certainly good, proven coaches that move each year.

If South Carolina and Virginia Tech can do it, A&M certainly has a chance to do it.

It requires a certain aspiration and commitment, which I think was evident in the Pat Henry/Gary Blair hires.
bobinator
AG
It also, again, has to do with timing. Also, Buzz isn't exactly hiring the best of the best by the standards you just set. He's been to one elite eight. Buzz, who I think we could all agree would be an excellent hire for us, is what? Maybe a top 15 coach at best?
TXAggie2011
AG
bobinator said:

It also, again, has to do with timing. Also, Buzz isn't exactly hiring the best of the best by the standards you just set. He's been to one elite eight.

What standards did I just set? I'd put Buzz in "good, proven".
bobinator
AG
Sorry I was getting usernames mixed up, when I hit reply I thought you were one of the above "ONLY THE BEST" posters.
Wb71
I think the big difference is that they don't accept losing. Everyone knew after the first season that Kennedy wasn't a good coach, but he's still here with a contact extension. To me thats the thing that holds us back.
old yeller
AG
Agnzona said:

That might be true, but then you keep trying with younger guys until you got the one. Settling should never be an option.

I agree 100%
Tamu_mgm
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

You can't moneywhip the men's basketball Pat Henry but there's certainly good, proven coaches that move each year.

If South Carolina and Virginia Tech can do it, A&M certainly has a chance to do it.

It requires a certain aspiration and commitment, which I think was evident in the Pat Henry/Gary Blair hires.
Which is also why I think Bill Byrne was a severely underrated AD. Seems like we were good to elite in every sport except for football during his tenure.
bobinator
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Which is also why I think Bill Byrne was a severely underrated AD. Seems like we were good to elite in every sport except for football during his tenure.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but it's a lot easier to get good in sports that aren't football and men's basketball than it is in those two.
JJxvi
AG
We were pretty good at men's basketball
bobinator
AG
True, but if we're giving him credit for BCG and Turgeon, he also hired Kennedy.
old yeller
AG
bobinator said:

Tamu_mgm said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but it's a lot easier to get good in sports that aren't football and men's basketball than it is in those two.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.