Caruso will play in the NBA

78,663 Views | 284 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CDub06
shiftyandquick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bookmark this post.
gougler08
AG
No. He won't. Bookmark this reply
jeffdjohnson
No but he might be able to play in Europe.
Cancelled
AG
He can play in Turkey.
shiftyandquick
I'm not kidding. He's got size, great defensive instincts, a great handle, the ability to put it on the floor and go to the rim. And I think he can develop an effective outside shot. And he's a good floor leader, willing passer, sees the floor.

I think he has a legit shot to be a bench player in the NBA, in the mode of Steve Blake.
Yell Practice
Will be interesting to watch. Good Luck Caruso.
Deputy Travis Junior
Not athletic enough to get to the rim in the NBA and his size for an off-the-ball player (and he isn't an NBA PG) is nothing special.

Nowhere near an NBA player right now. Great college player, though, and I really enjoyed watching him for 4 years.
shiftyandquick
He's the best player on A&M's team, no doubt. And the best Aggie since Middleton. He deferred too much to the brick-a-polooza squad around him. He doesn't need to get to the rim. He can get around the rim and finish. He's shown a variety of shots around the rim, floaters, stop and pop.
shiftyandquick
Caruso's FG% improved each year, going from 37% his freshman year to 50% his senior year. His 3P% increased each year from .265 to .368. His FT% increased each year from .600 to .785. His FT% jumped .10 his senior year, which is significaint. His true shooting % likewise increased each year from .451 to .598. His win shares and win shares/40min increaed each year.

Interestingly his usage rate was lowest his senior year, and by a fair margin.

Does this sound like a player who has already peaked?
salvatore_ditmars
quote:
Caruso's FG% improved each year, going from 37% his freshman year to 50% his senior year. His 3P% increased each year from .265 to .368. His FT% increased each year from .600 to .785. His FT% jumped .10 his senior year, which is significaint. His true shooting % likewise increased each year from .451 to .598. His win shares and win shares/40min increaed each year.

Interestingly his usage rate was lowest his senior year, and by a fair margin.

Does this sound like a player who has already peaked?
it sounds like none of the things that factor in whether a good college player can make the NBA.

i do enjoy the irony of the BYU fan coming to tell us how the scrappy white kid on our team was the best player on the team.
Deputy Travis Junior
36.8 from 3 for a guy who only took about half of his the looks he got (the vast majority of which were wide open) is unfortunately not very good. The 3pt line is farther away in the NBA and the shooting windows usually shorter.
MarcAg
AG
He will make a nice living playing basketball overseas. Has absolutely no shot at an nba roster.
Charlie Moran
AG
Didn't know there was a Netherlands Basketball Association ?
zmurda
if he had a consistent jump shot, he'd definitely play pro-level. Maybe he can get one....better be quick though
Halconblack
AG
No shot at NBA. The CBA awaits.
hoya-ag
AG
I have said it before, but if Royal Ivey can have a 10+ year NBA career then Alex can have an NBA career as well. Will he? Who knows.

Here are Royal Ivey's college numbers.

Sharpshooter
AG
quote:
No. He won't. Bookmark this reply
He is a winner and TEAM player and will end up with Los ES SPURS. Bookmark this reply.
LonghornsNo1
quote:
He will make a nice living playing basketball overseas. Has absolutely no shot at an nba roster.

This. Hope I'm wrong though. I think his defense is overstated quite a bit by some on here. He does well with what he has. Not that there are not plenty of poor defenders in the NBA. But those guys fill it up on the offensive end.
greg.w.h
AG
Love Caruso. Think he will play professionally at some level. His dad specifically mentioned he wants to do so. Let's let him determine his own path.
misterguinness
AG
quote:
I have said it before, but if Royal Ivey can have a 10+ year NBA career then Alex can have an NBA career as well. Will he? Who knows.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought Ivey was simply used as a lockdown defender
Bieber
The dude can't even create his own shot. And if you aren't tony Allen on defense (which he is not) then there is ZERO chance he sticks.
Olsen
AG
Whatever Caruso does, I hope he doesn't take the Marshall Henderson route and plays BBall in Iraq and not go anywhere in life.
zmurda
quote:
The dude can't even create his own shot. And if you aren't tony Allen on defense (which he is not) then there is ZERO chance he sticks.
he can create his own shot, he just didn't b/c it wasn't consistent enough %-wise. He can definitely drive to the hoop though and defends pretty well. If he can develop a jump shot very soon he will have a chance overseas or D League and maybe eventually NBA.
BBDP
AG
I think he will impress some teams at the NBA combine. I think he has a shot but the NBA is also only for the very best. It may take him a while.
Method Man
You guys.
salvatore_ditmars
quote:
quote:
he can create his own shot, he just didn't b/c it wasn't consistent enough %-wise. He can definitely drive to the hoop though and defends pretty well. If he can develop a jump shot very soon he will have a chance overseas or D League and maybe eventually NBA.

lololol he can create his own shot, he just chooses not to because he isnt a good shooter. that has to be the most aggiest post about caruso ever.
millertime40
Caruso has a shot, but its not a very good chance to get to the nba, but if dellavedova can do it then caruso has a chance, he has to become an nba point guard though and improve his shot, I like the steve blake/dellevedova type comparison
LonghornsNo1
quote:
quote:

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought Ivey was simply used as a lockdown defender

You couldn't be less mistaken. That is basically the only reason he ever made a roster. He could pass it a little and score a little but his career was based on D.
shiftyandquick
I am a good judge of white talent.
wheelsoff
quote:
lololol he can create his own shot, he just chooses not to because he isnt a good shooter. that has to be the most aggiest post about caruso ever.

he's a coach on the floor..he limits his limitations...
LonghornsNo1
quote:
I am a good judge of white talent.

Let's just say he's no Jimmer. And I think he just got called up from the D league.
rwtxag83
AG
Maybe, but not right away. The NBA has players who didn't have what it takes, but got into the right situation overseas that allowed them to develop an NBA game, or at least an NBA role player game.

Caruso could get a lot better when he gets paid to do nothing but play hoops; No school, no family, no nothing, just hoops.

I hope he gets what/where he wants, regardless of what that is.
LonghornsNo1
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. I hope the kid never has to work a day in his life after his basketball career. And you're right. The league has plenty of examples of stories of players who honed their games in Europe before making a career in the States.
Tango Mike
Great Aggie. Acceptable college player. Will not even get a summer league invite.
rwtxag83
AG
BTW, Bruce Bowen played in the NBA for 14 seasons, but he had to basically spend 3-4 years bouncing around Europe and the D-League before he got his shot as a kind of role player and just made the most out of his opportunity.

There's no guarantees for anybody either positive or negative. Hell, Caruso may decide he doesn't want to keep living that life. I think a lot of guys do come to that conclusion,especially if things aren't going well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.