Assistant Coaches List if BK stays

6,236 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Method Man
agtrevino07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Hyman keeps BK then he will need to hire an assistant coach. However, I think is going to be difficult to get a top notch coach with the current basketball program's environment (e.g. 2-3 conf. loosing seasons, HC hot seat).

What assistant coaches might help BK to develop this team?

Here is my list:

Stephen Gentry (SFA)
-Pros: He knows the program in-and-out since he spend 4 seasons in CS. Good Texas' ties. Additionally, he helped JCarter and DSloan to prepare for their professional careers. I think he will be a good head coach soon.
-Cons: Unexperienced as an assistant coach. This is his first year as an asst. coach at SFA.

Matthew Graves (Butler)
-Pros: he helped Brad Stevens to develop a team based on "basketball fundamentals"...no stars...no All Americans...just good basketball.
-Cons: no ties to Texas...and it might be almost impossible to steal him from Butler (basketball school).

I am out of ideas...it is going to be hard for them to get somebody that can have an immediate impact.

[This message has been edited by agtrevino07 (edited 2/27/2014 12:12p).]

[This message has been edited by agtrevino07 (edited 2/27/2014 12:14p).]
Pumpkinhead
AG
Is there anybody who is a relative to that 5-star center Turner? I kid, I kid...
Pumpkinhead
AG
On a more serious note, I'll be very curious about this one if Kennedy's staff is retained. Who they are actually able to get and what his skill set is.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 2/27/2014 12:26p).]
hoya-ag
AG
Got to be an X-O guy IMO. Any good offensive coordinators out there?
LeFraud
Maybe Hyman should tell him that he gets a 4th year, but will have to hire from within (not allocating even more funds for a sinking ship). If he does get a hire, it will be to get a player, not some "x and o's guy" that is going to come in and revamp the offense...that's not how college basketball works.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Maybe Hyman should tell him that he gets a 4th year, but will have to hire from within (not allocating even more funds for a sinking ship).

I doubt Kennedy will be back if Hyman thinks the situation is a 'sinking ship'. And if he is back, then Kennedy will be able to hire who he wants (within budget).
Method Man
Kennedy wants to hire a certain someone.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Kennedy will have a hard time hiring someone good without some job security
Method Man
Not if that person is unemployed.
Method Man
Wish I could say more.
agfan1030
Is he bringing in Bruce Pearl as an asst so he will be ready to step in.
jml2621

BK is a lame duck HC if he survives this year.

Recruiting, coaching, fan support are all at risk.

Method Man
I will field questions after the hire is made.
agfan1030
Ha ha...That makes it easy to say I told you so...when you haven't told us so.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I know who it is but I can't tell you until after the hire is made.
Method Man
quote:
Ha ha...That makes it easy to say I told you so...when you haven't told us so.
i will prove to you I knew if I was right and I will admit I was wrong if I am.
claym711
AG
Who cares?
agtrevino07
AG
Junkhead and method,

Bk hiring a former D1 asst coach/HC or a HC who will loose his job this season in a major conference?

Give us some cues to the people!
THE LOVER
Doc Sadler won't help the offense.
THE LOVER
Frank Haith lol.
GARBQ84
AG
Mitch Cole is going to take the position. Gentry won't be considered.
agtrevino07
AG
quote:
Mitch Cole is going to take the position. Gentry won't be considered

MCole is already a "special assistant"...so he is becoming our "new" assistant coach??? ...if that is the case then I am done with the topic...

MCole D1 experience=3 years with BK...not exactly what I as a fan I am looking for in order develop our D1 players.
THE LOVER
But but all the talent coming in.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Mitch Cole is going to take the position.

Is this just your guess or did you hear this from somewhere credible? Underwhelming if true. I was hoping for more creative thinking than that.

And that does not sound like who Method thinks it might be.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 3/1/2014 4:05p).]
GARBQ84
AG
I was told about Mitch a while back. I know he is there for at least the rest of the year. Most likely for after this year.

Like any situation, there is always a chance that something happens that changes everything, but at this point, I expect Mitch to fill that position.

It may seem underwhelming, but Cole is a dang good coach and he should be a good asset to this team as he is now allowed to be more involved in the players development.

[This message has been edited by Garbq84 (edited 3/1/2014 4:24p).]
GARBQ84
AG
quote:

And that does not sound like who Method thinks it might be.

[This message has been edited by Pumpkinhead (edited 3/1/2014 4:05p).]

I heard what I heard a while back and just because what I heard was the plan then, it doesn't mean the plan hasn't changed.

If they found someone better the mitch, I would hope they would change their plans.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
and he should be a good asset to this team as he is now allowed to be more involved in the players development.

Do you know what kind of additional restrictions would be lifted? What kind of things could Cole do as an assistant coach that he could not already do? Just curious. Not familiar with the rules. I assumed one restriction was that he could not go out and recruit, but what kind of restrictions are there in terms of internal staff helping with coaching and player development?
mikesyracuse1
He is very involved during in-game coaching now.

Mikesyracuse1
GARBQ84
AG
quote:
quote:
and he should be a good asset to this team as he is now allowed to be more involved in the players development.

Do you know what kind of additional restrictions would be lifted? What kind of things could Cole do as an assistant coach that he could not already do? Just curious. Not familiar with the rules. I assumed one restriction was that he could not go out and recruit, but what kind of restrictions are there in terms of internal staff helping with coaching and player development?

I'm not 100% certain what restrictions he had, but I believe he wasn't allowed to really be involved with practice(much like the operations guys). If he was allowed to be at practice already, he now has more face time and involvement with the players than before. This is obvious by watching how he acts on the sidelines compared to last year. And like you mentioned, he is now able to recruit.
musket
AG
Acie Law.....
Method Man
They already have Mitch. Can he recruit? The other guy can.
agtrevino07
AG
Method,

I know you can't share much... but are they looking to add somebody who can have an immediate impact (recruiting/player development)? or just another D2/D3/HS coach without much experience but with strong recruiting ties in Texas?
Method Man
D1 experience
Texas recruiting
Immediate impact

IF it's the guy I have been told is the guy.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The continuing Tony Trocha saga and this assistant coaching hire definitely two things I will be interested in watching this off-season.
THE LOVER
Need to hire a "coaching coach." Teaching is the only answer at this point.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.