Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Picking wine now to store/age 20 years

905 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jh0400
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy.

I want to get an assortment or case of 2022 vintage to give to my daughter down the road after she turns 21.

I have a bottle of Blanton's with my son's birth date on it, and will do the same for my twin sons that were just born, but I think I want to do wine for my daughter. I'm thinking either a case of the same thing, or a few bottles from 2-3 vineyards or varietals.

No clue what she will like in 20 yeats, but we like Napa cabs and Bordeaux. When will be the right time to select bottles for optimal aging? Any recommendations? Budget would be $1k-$2k for everything, and somewhere between 4-10 bottles. Hopefully these would ultimately be to drink, not to sell, but who knows what she'll do with them down the road.
kithas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool idea , 20+ years is a long time, but you should still have plenty of options. You could go with something like vintage port, which usually can easily go that duration in a cellar.

One idea is Larkmead in Napa. They are typically known for long-lived wines and could custom etch the label on large format bottles. Schafer Hillside Select would be another choice for something you could easily cellar for that time.

I'd think it may be better (at least easier) to go fewer bottles than try to get a 1/2 case
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few things I figured out:

Buy yourself the wine and share with her later down the road. That way you'll have good wine to drink even if she doesn't like wine.

Don't buy 2022 Napa to age. It wasn't a great vintage. I mean, you can give it a shot but I'd concentrate elsewhere, like Bordeaux.

Aged Chateau d' Yquem is always a treat.

I have no idea how '22 Champagne will be but stay tuned for reports when it releases in a few more years. Aged champagne is my favorite wine.

And most importantly, don't buy wines based on the birth year alone. I mean sure, buy some, but also buy great wines from any vintage and celebrate with those.

Be sure to store them properly.
SweaterVest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, I was hoping you'd come along and post as I've seen your knowledge in the wine thread.

I'm not in any hurry to buy it, but once releases and expectations start coming out I may as well buy it now vs 10-15 years from now when those vintages are hard to get my hands on.

Good call on buying it for me and sharing with her!
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd stick to wines that are known to age well. Burgundy, Barolo, Rioja, Ribera del Duero, and Sauternes come to mind. JJ Prum Riesling would also be cool to include.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.