Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Beans and rice

1,549 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rattler12
Rattler12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody ever experiment with a Mexican version of Cajun Red Beans and Rice? Pinto beans and a little fideo in with the rice maybe? Fajita meat ? Chicken? Pork? Beef? I brine cured some of each and seasoned with some homemade mex seasoning and baked instead of smoking and it's pretty tasty by itself. Chopped onion, green and red jalapenos, poblano, maters?

I'm bored.........
Max Power
AG
Rattler12 said:

Anybody ever experiment with a Mexican version of Cajun Red Beans and Rice? Pinto beans and a little fideo in with the rice maybe? Fajita meat ? Chicken? Pork? Beef? I brine cured some of each and seasoned with some homemade mex seasoning and baked instead of smoking and it's pretty tasty by itself. Chopped onion, green and red jalapenos, poblano, maters?

I'm bored.........
You could totally do something similar with leftover barbacoa, carnitas, carne guisada, etc. Would work just as well with black beans as pintos. Rather than the holy trinity go with onions and poblano peppers or sofrito. I've done a twist on jambalaya as well, use chorizo instead of andouille and switch up the spices, then cook the rice in the broth.
marcel ledbetter
Look up gallo pinto. It's a staple of every day life here in Costa Rica. They don't add a lot of meat to it. It's a good start to modify with chorizo, etc.
Max Power
AG
Feijoada is another one to lookup, that one is from Brazil.
austinag1997
AG
I'm from NOLA. I only know one way. I cooked purple hull peas today... same way.
Rattler12
Made this yesterday. Made some barbacoa in the pressure cooker using beef cheeks, beef broth, 4 chipotle chili in adobo and a little cider vinegar and had the cured chicken and pork already. Made a small pot of pintos. Diced up the meats, poblano and red jalapenos, onion, tomato and cilantro. Browned the rice and fideo. I poured off all the fat from the barbacoa liquid and mixed some of it and the bean juice together for the liquid part. Threw it all in the skillet with some a tbls of a mexican spice concoction and 25 minutes later ..........Mexican pinto beans and rice. Pretty tasty.
TAMU-93
AG
Would that not be charro beans and mexican rice?
FIDO*98*
AG
This thread is confusing to me as well. Lots of ways to eat beans and rice that arent Cajun. Basically every culture on earth has a version of beans and rice
Rattler12
FIDO*98* said:

This thread is confusing to me as well. Lots of ways to eat beans and rice that arent Cajun. Basically every culture on earth has a version of beans and rice
Nothing confusing about it at all unless you feel the need to make it that way. It was a play on a red beans and rice recipe. Pure and simple. Sorry you weren't able to pick up on that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.