Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Potato Salad

3,516 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by austinag1997
streetfighter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's your go to recipe for potato salad?
Aggie Dad 26
My mother uses black olives which I don't see very often. Everyone seems to only like their mother's, and everyone else's is "nasty." I'll admit, I'm fairly picky but not as much as other people.

It's a little funny to me this topic was started. I had this conversation yesterday with my gf.

When I was in Jr high, we had to sign up to bring something for a class party. I signed my mother up for potato salad. She learned this the day before. Needless to say, she wasn't happy lol

I brought home an empty bowl. I LOVE her potato salad.
NColoradoAG
This has become my go to recipe. I cube the potatoes a little bit bigger than hash brown size. A key step is to season the potatoes after you drain and let them sit for 10 minutes. I like to mash the potatoes 2-3 times with a standard potato masher before adding in the dressing. If you like spice you can use spicy dill pickles. I always garnish with green onions

https://www.texasmonthly.com/recipe/texas-style-potato-salad-recipe/
FIDO*98*
AG
I go basic with mine. People don't like other people's potato salad because of what's in it not because of what's not in it.

I use a combination of 3 to 1 Russet and Red potatoes for creaminess and texture. The rest is just 2/3 part mayo, 1/3 part mustard then both sweet and dill relish, chopped fresh dill, fresh chives, salt, pepper, & paprika. I think it's best to make the dressing and dump the hot potatoes in after draining. They seem to absorb everything a little better.

It may not be the best potato salad YOU'VE ever had, but anyone who likes potato salad will enjoy it. I get lots of comments on it at my BBQs. Every crowd will have people who don't like celery, onions, eggs, bell peppers, etc so the more crap you put in it the fewer people will eat it.
Aggie Dad 26
celery in potato salad should be illegal
Rongagin71
AG
I like to buy the HEB deviled egg potato salad (from near the deli).
Just don't have a good home recipe and don't want to heat the house.
Rattler12
Red potatoes steamed until a fork pierces them easily. Set aside to cool down. In an appropriate size bowl for the final product add a bit of finely diced sweet onion, sweet pickle relish, chopped up boiled egg, chopped dill and chopped fresh celery. For the dressing 2 parts Dukes mayo, 2 parts creme fraiche, 1 part miracle whip, a dash of mustard, celery seed, enough bread and butter pickle juice to thin to a gravy consistency, garlic salt and pepper to taste, Peel the cooled red potatoes and then break apart and mash by hand. Mix it all together.
JLN90
AG
I use the potatoes after a crawfish boil and basic, 2/3 mayo, 1/3 mustard, dill relish , white onions, S&P, seems to be a hit
NColoradoAG
JLN90 said:

I use the potatoes after a crawfish boil and basic, 2/3 mayo, 1/3 mustard, dill relish , white onions, S&P, seems to be a hit

I bet that is tasty
Bruce Almighty
AG
The Kenji Lopez recipe is my go to, and yes, it uses celery. I just add a little paprika and cayenne.

https://www.seriouseats.com/classic-potato-salad-recipe
80sGeorge
AG
NColoradoAG said:

This has become my go to recipe. I cube the potatoes a little bit bigger than hash brown size. A key step is to season the potatoes after you drain and let them sit for 10 minutes. I like to mash the potatoes 2-3 times with a standard potato masher before adding in the dressing. If you like spice you can use spicy dill pickles. I always garnish with green onions

https://www.texasmonthly.com/recipe/texas-style-potato-salad-recipe/

2nd for this. Been making it a couple of years and people that like it say, yeah that's what potato salad tastes like.
bonfarr
AG
I made some with the Trader Joe's Dill Pickle mustard and that really kicked it up a notch.
Martin Cash
AG
Red potatoes, cooked in the jacket, cooled, peeled and diced small. Coat with mayonnaise, diced celery, onions and pimientos. Salt and pepper. No damn pickles, no mustard.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Max Power
AG
I normally make German potato salad, it's just what we prefer. I stick with this recipe but add in some dijon mustard to the dressing and it's fantastic. Always get rave reviews the first time someone has it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/83097/authentic-german-potato-salad/
BurnetAggie99
My German Grandfather's Bavarian Kartoffelsalat Potato Salad recipe

Bavarian Potato Salad Kartoffelsalat:

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
6-8 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
1 cup beef stock
6 Tablespoons Rice Wine vinegar
1 Teaspoon mustard, Bavarian Handlmaier Sweet German mustard
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Teaspoon sugar
1/4 Teaspoon whole Caraway seeds
1 Teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley

Boil the potatoes in large pot until fork tender. Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat till crispy. Take out the bacon and set it aside. Leave the bacon fat in the pan. Add the sweet yellow onion to the pan and saut until translucent.

Add beef broth and bring to a simmer. Turn down the heat & add the rest of your ingredients - Rice Wine vinegar, Handlmaier Sweet German mustard, oil, sugar, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.

Let the potatoes cool slightly so you can handle them. Cut the potatoes into 1/4" cubes remove the skin and put them in a large bowl. Pour the hot dressing over the potatoes. Mix the potatoes gently. Then fold in the bacon pieces that were set aside.

Let the potato salad sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving so that the potatoes can absorb the flavor of the dressing.
jwoodmd
BurnetAggie99 said:

My German Grandfather's Bavarian Kartoffelsalat Potato Salad recipe

Bavarian Potato Salad Kartoffelsalat:

So like the Rio Grande River
austinag1997
AG
I boil my potatoes in crab boil ans spices just like crawfish so the potato salad is spicy.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Randall's/Tom Thumb used to have a deviled egg tater salad that I really liked. I should attempt to make something similar at home.
ME85
AG
https://people.com/food/aaron-franklin-herb-buttermilk-potato-salad-recipe/

Really good
dustin999
AG
I know my mother-in-law takes store bought potato salad and throws in olives and a bunch of additional seasonings and it's pretty darn good, amazing how mediocre store-bought HEB potato salad can be improved with just a little work.

The best potato salad I've ever had was from Terry Black's BBQ in Lockhart.
ag88man
AG
Very similar to my German potato salad. Delicious.
HtownAg92
AG
Horseradish Mustard

I've made a hot potato salad with capers, but usually stick to the dill relish for my "everyday" pot salad. Agree that making the dressing in a big mixing bowl and tossing with the hot potatoes makes a big difference.
SoTxAg
AG
I did a capers and green olive one once that was decent. To me potato salad is liked deviled eggs, theres no set recipe and you cant go wrong mixing and matching all kinds of stuff.
austinag1997
AG
Yall can laugh. I like egg salad and potato salad. I have been known to cross-polinate the two.
jwoodmd
austinag1997 said:

Yall can laugh. I like egg salad and potato salad. I have been known to cross-polinate the two.
Many of the best "potato salads" I've had all had egg in them.
HtownAg92
AG
jwoodmd said:

austinag1997 said:

I just had an idea - potato salad, egg salad and pimiento cheese mixed.

Like a Southern Side turducken
Danger Mouse
AG
1. There is no potato salad, at least any worth eating, without eggs.

2. Less (ingredients) means more. There is beauty in simplicity.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
HtownAg92
AG
Danger Mouse said:

1. There is no potato salad, at least any worth eating, without eggs.

2. Less (ingredients) means more. There is beauty in simplicity.
Agree, but...

austinag1997
AG
jwoodmd said:

austinag1997 said:

Dang, I feel better!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.