Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Your Best Tri Tip Recommendations

1,232 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DiskoTroop
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, we LOVE Tri Tip!!! Always have dry brined, then cracked pepper and put indirect in BGE to 115, 3 minute sear and pull, rest 10 minutes. Looking for alternate method, just for something different. FIDO jump in here with one of your special ways to cook this, please, or anyone with their Killer King Kong way to do Tri Tip!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
NColoradoAG
I personally dont think there's a better way to cook the meat itself. There's a weird trend out there to "cook it like a brisket" but I havent messed around with that. Seems like a lot of work to potentially ruin a fine piece of beef.

You can have a lot of different options on the overall style of your plate though. I rotate between cooking it with traditional santa maria sides, south american with chimichurri, rice and grilled veggies, mexican rubbed with a corn salsa, avocados, cotija and some tortillas.

I havent tried it but you could probably even glaze it with some teryaki sauce and serve with some stir fried veggies.
CyAg
AG
I plan on doing Tri Tip soon and saw Amazing Ribs version. Dry brine and add cgbp plus garlic power plus? Not sure.

Smoke around 225 till an internal of 115.

Transfer to a grill and finish high/med high direct heat 5 minute intervals till you reach 130.

That's my plan... right now anyway.
CyAg
AG
Forgot to add, sounds remarkably similar to what you're already doing.
Mathguy64
AG
Santa Maria rub, indirect on the egg to 120, pull it while the egg gets to lava level, then direct sear just a couple of minutes a side. Rest and slice thin with chimichurri or no rest and a board sauce.

Mexican corn on cob or elotes goes well.
HTownAg98
Add some of the B1-83 beans, and it's a hard meal to **** up.
NColoradoAG
HTownAg98 said:

Add some of the B1-83 beans, and it's a hard meal to **** up.

Yup. Grill some garlic bread and toss a basic salad with vinaigrette and you are basically in Pismo.

(I know the beans aren't traditional pinquito, but close enough)
HTownAg98
I've done that recipe with pinquito beans, and it's damn good.
TMfrisco
AG
Filet it open and make fajitas
Mark Fairchild
AG
CyAg: Meathead on Amazing Ribs is the KING! I do follow lots of his advice, so, yeah, that is where I got it, just looking for something different, dunno why.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
GAC06
AG
No need for indirect heat in my opinion. This technique is my favorite. Excellent results every time as long as you watch the temp and slice it correctly.

gkaggie08
AG
I can't give you a cooking recommendation, but if you haven't tried the meat lab's marinated tri tip, you're missing out. I worked at RMSTC, so it was one of my staples in college. Cooked it on my knock off George Foreman in the dorm
DiskoTroop
Just like brisket. Smoke to 205*F after heavy salt and pepper, wrap in butcher paper with ghee, then in plastic wrap and place in a 150*F holding oven over night.

Or do it like a prime rib. I did this one as a first cook when I got my pellet smoker.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.