Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Let's talk about Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwiches

3,676 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Jock 07
swampstander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't even know this was a thing until this past summer. I was in Nashville in May and remember seeing them advertised but was there for a beer conference and didn't pay it any attention. Oddly the first one I had was out of a food truck at a small brewery in Maine. The beer server recommended it and since then I have been infatuated with it. I typically don't eat high carb meals and try to avoid wheat flour so this is a divergence for me.I have ordered them five or six times and have made them five or six times myself . I will post the recipe I have settled on below but I am looking for tips and tricks from others that make them.

5-6 oz piece of chicken breast pound flat and marinated at least a few hours in dill pickle juice. ( I know some use thighs but I have not yet)
Drain chicken and double dredge in egg/ buttermilk/ tabasco and highly seasoned flour.
Fry in peanut oil at 375 until golden.
Paint fried chicken breast with Nashville Hot Sauce ( there are several recipes online using butter, cayenne, paprika, garlic, chili powder)
Serve on a buttered and grilled brioche bun with mayonnaise, pickles and shredded lettuce. Here is mine from last night.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Lots of good recipes on YouTube. I had my first hot chicken experience at Hattie B's circa 2015 and my butthole still hasn't recovered.

But it was worth it.
FIDO*98*
AG
That looks really good, but doesn't really look like Nashville Hot to me.

The traditional method is to finish frying the chicken and then take a couple of cups of the hot oil and pour it over the dry spices so they bloom. You can paint the chicken, but it's much easier to just give it a quick dunk while the oil is still 300+ degrees which will give the chicken its signature brick red color and sets the crust. It is nice to see more of these places popping up because I prefer it to Buffalo

Did you make the buns? That bun looks great
NColoradoAG
I've found I like a good Nashville hot chicken sandwich, but I do not like Nashville hot fried chicken. I think fried chicken is a perfect food and needs nothing other than good sides and a cheap beer. The sandwiches however are good. I think I like the mayo/ranch, lettuce, and pickles that compliment the in your face heat of the traditional Nashville hot flavor profile.
Slicer97
AG
I'm with FIDO. It's a good looking chicken sammich, but it doesn't look anything like Nashville Hot.

Try Hattie B's or Prince's recipe and then tweak to taste. But that chicken ought to have quite the redness about it.

Also, there needs to be some brown sugar in your recipe.
swampstander
AG
FIDO*98* said:

That looks really good, but doesn't really look like Nashville Hot to me.

The traditional method is to finish frying the chicken and then take a couple of cups of the hot oil and pour it over the dry spices so they bloom. You can paint the chicken, but it's much easier to just give it a quick dunk while the oil is still 300+ degrees which will give the chicken its signature brick red color and sets the crust. It is nice to see more of these places popping up because I prefer it to Buffalo

Did you make the buns? That bun looks great

Sounds great Fido. Do you have a recipe for the spice mix?

The buns came from Kroger.
swampstander
AG
Slicer97 said:

Also, there needs to be some brown sugar in your recipe.
There is brown sugar in the sauce. My bad I left that out.
FIDO*98*
AG
I like a combo of coarse ground Thai chile for heat and Aleppo for mild/sweet. Thai vs Cayenne probably doesn't make much difference, but I like Aleppo or Ancho over guajillo. Other than that it's basically the same (with brown sugar) along with the pickle juice brine.

I'll whisk the spices together in a stainless steel bowl and when the last piece of chicken comes out pour about 2-3 cups of oil over the spices. It will smell incredible. Working as quickly (and safely) I'll dunk the chicken and return to the rack.

DDD was at Palmer's Hot Chicken in Dallas on a recent episode. I can't find it on YouTube, but it's the current season if you have YouTubeTV it's probably easy to find. They use this technique. Pretty sure I learned it from a past episode of DDD because the 1st time I had Nashville Hot was also the first time I made it.

Edit: Season 48 episode 5: Soup, Sandwiches and Seafood.

Moral High Horse
Love a good fried chicken sandwich. The chick thigh sandwich over at Tumble-22 is pretty good.
HtownAg92
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

Lots of good recipes on YouTube. I had my first hot chicken experience at Hattie B's circa 2015 and my butthole still hasn't recovered.

But it was worth it.
I'm with you -- I eat super hot wings and sauces all the time without much issue. I got a "medium" order of Nashville hot chicken tenders and it ate my lunch.
swampstander
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I like a combo of coarse ground Thai chile for heat and Aleppo for mild/sweet. Thai vs Cayenne probably doesn't make much difference, but I like Aleppo or Ancho over guajillo. Other than that it's basically the same (with brown sugar) along with the pickle juice brine.

I'll whisk the spices together in a stainless steel bowl and when the last piece of chicken comes out pour about 2-3 cups of oil over the spices. It will smell incredible. Working as quickly (and safely) I'll dunk the chicken and return to the rack.

DDD was at Palmer's Hot Chicken in Dallas on a recent episode. I can't find it on YouTube, but it's the current season if you have YouTubeTV it's probably easy to find. They use this technique. Pretty sure I learned it from a past episode of DDD because the 1st time I had Nashville Hot was also the first time I made it.

Edit: Season 48 episode 5: Soup, Sandwiches and Seafood.

I wish I would have done a better job brushing on the hot sauce so you can see it in my picture. I'm going to try the dip instead of the brush on next time I make it and will post a pic here when I do so. It might be a month or so before I do. I think I am going with boneless thighs next time as well.
FIDO*98*
AG
Wish I was younger and could mow one of those down weekly.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Is this post serious? What's next you gonna discover Skyline
CrawfordAg
AG
Thought to beat at home, can mess with cayenne level to change up your heat. The sausage made with the fry grease is spot on.

hph6203
AG
HtownAg92 said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

But it was worth it.
I'm with you -- I eat super hot wings and sauces all the time without much issue. I got a "medium" order of Nashville hot chicken tenders and it ate my lunch.
Not sure if the Nashville recipe is different than what they have in Dallas, but I ordered the Shut the Cluck Up, ate two orders of their tenders (on separate days) and it was fine, hot but I managed. Did it again a couple of months later and the first one I ate of the two I ordered went off like a nuclear bomb and had me throwing up a good portion of the night. Probably not gonna do that again, only time that's happened.
Gilligan
AG
Usually red in color and for the most part overrated.

Their good, but not great IMO.
swampstander
AG
Not sure if this qualifies but I just had this on the beach in Jamaica (humble brag I know). It's kind of a mix of Nashville hot and jerk. Very lightly breaded, just dusted with flour. Very spicy and very good. Gluten free as well.
Jock 07
AG
NColoradoAG said:

I've found I like a good Nashville hot chicken sandwich, but I do not like Nashville hot fried chicken. I think fried chicken is a perfect food and needs nothing other than good sides and a cheap beer. The sandwiches however are good. I think I like the mayo/ranch, lettuce, and pickles that compliment the in your face heat of the traditional Nashville hot flavor profile.

A bit off topic but trying to find some solid fried chicken here in CO. Pretty sure there really aren't any amazing offerings here in the springs, any leads on spots up in Denver?
NColoradoAG
Jock 07 said:

NColoradoAG said:

A bit off topic but trying to find some solid fried chicken here in CO. Pretty sure there really aren't any amazing offerings here in the springs, any leads on spots up in Denver?

The Post is always solid. I think they've built a fair amount of locations. Not cheap but I've never been disappointed. OG spot is in Louisville but I've visited the places in south Denver and they're solid.
Jock 07
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Jock 07 said:

NColoradoAG said:

The Post is always solid. I think they've built a fair amount of locations. Not cheap but I've never been disappointed. OG spot is in Louisville but I've visited the places in south Denver and they're solid.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out
Ornlu
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

What's Skyline?

Not kidding. I really don't know what you mean by that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ornlu said:

MookieBlaylock said:

What's Skyline?

Skyline Chili. I think it's a Cincinnati thing where they put chili on spaghetti noodles. Or something awful looking like that.
NColoradoAG
Know Your Enemy said:

Ornlu said:

MookieBlaylock said:

What's Skyline?

Skyline Chili. I think it's a Cincinnati thing where they put chili on spaghetti noodles. Or something awful looking like that.

Not only is it a ridiculous dish but the chili also tastes like ***** They put so much Cinnamon in it. Effin disgusting
Ornlu
AG
Damnit, now I wish I didn't know. I was hoping it was a trendy new cocktail.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cinnamon? Awful.
NColoradoAG
Know Your Enemy said:

Cinnamon? Awful.

Yes. If you want to taste the worst thing imaginable buy a can of their chili that's in stores.
StinkyPinky
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Ornlu said:

MookieBlaylock said:

What's Skyline?

Not only is it a ridiculous dish but the chili also tastes like ***** They put so much Cinnamon in it. Effin disgusting
I agree, tastes like ass. I have to go to Dayton often for work and they took me to one knowing I like to try different things. Couldn't eat it, was total garbage IMO
Jock 07
AG
Oh also, just FYSA if you haven't already been but I was extremely underwhelmed with the juniper valley ranch that everyone here raves about. Really wasn't that great and overpriced as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.