Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Old Cook Books

5,179 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by spud1910
vmiaptetr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love community cookbooks that were put together by small towns and churches. Sometimes I go thru and I wonder if there was ever any animosity after it was printed. Like, "I can't believe that b****, Susan, submitted a taco salad recipe. She knows that's MY specialty."

Anyone else ever go thru these things?
BlueMiles
AG
I have a few. I find it interesting how they change over time. Not only the recipes, but how the names are presented. You might see "Mrs (husband's name)" in the old ones.
Koko Chingo
Koko Chingo
AG
I love old cookbooks. One of my favorites is one from when I was stationed in Japan. The spouses from all the squadrons in our group put one together. What I love is that its from people all over. They included recipes for the same thing even though they are a bit different.

I am working on making my own version. I want a high-quality family cookbook (from both sides of the family). I am most likely going to use a an Adobe InDesign template. I had too much going on and started too late this year to be ready for Christmas.

The premise is that family members (extended and close friends) would submit each recipe along with any photos (of the food or family eating it) via a Google Form. I should be able to extract the info from the spreadsheet automatically, then just clean it up the grammar & formatting. I will take some stages shots of some of the dishes over the year using light tent so that there will be a mix of pro shots and old family photo and stories.

A few of us will pitch in and get a few printed to give as gifts. The beauty is that it's a PDF and be shared easily.

Finally, scroll about halfway down the page after clicking the link. Years ago, the outdoor board made a cookbook, and you can download it here: https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2938081/replies/51397878

vmiaptetr
AG
Thank you for sharing the link to the OB cookbook. Good luck on putting together your family cookbook. I like the photo ideas you have for it.
EclipseAg
AG
I have an old cookbook with recipes submitted by viewers of "The Eyes of Texas," published in 1987. You oldtimers will remember that show, hosted by longtime Channel 2 anchor Ron Stone.

There are some real good homecookin' recipes in that book .. the kind that were passed down from Oma or Memaw or whatnot. I still use it all the time.

"The Eyes of Texas Cookbook"
Rattler12
These two are great.....from Baton Rouge folks

Koko Chingo
AG
I even love the names of dishes in old cookbooks. This post had me browsing through the cookbook again. Names like Senator Russell's Sweet Potatoes -- My Grandma's Vanilla Sponge Cake with Cannoli Cream -- Home EC Enchiladas make me smile.

Who was Senator Russell?

If I make the cake, is it now "My Grandma's..."

I asked my high schoolers if they knew what "Home EC" or "Home Economics" was; they had no idea. They were blown away you would learn how to cook, sew, shop for a family and balance a check book in high school.
Reel Aggies
AG
I thought I was the only one that collected those. I have a bunch from my grandmother and the First Baptist church ladies from the 80s. I look for unique ones at estate sales as well. When we travel I also try to buy a regional cookbook to add to my collection as well.
Sethtevious

I love that they're such a great resource of local culinary history, and a wealth of knowledge on forgotten techniques.
Beckdiesel03
AG
My favorite is Cotton Country by the Junior League of Monroe LA. So many good recipes in there. My kids have won some baking contests at the Fair using old school recipes I have found in some of the church cookbooks that I love to look through.
Independence H-D
Rattler12 said:

These two are great.....from Baton Rouge folks

I have those River road cookbooks. I also have some from the little community in Northeast Louisiana My family is from. Several from Mangham several from Newelton.
Sethtevious
Quote:

in some of the church cookbooks that I love to look through
Just curious, how many cookbooks have you cooked through? The Julie & Julia book/movie made me aware of this goal some have, and reading through the various blogs online of people attempting this is always fun.

My problem is I don't like seafood; pretty much every single cookbook I've seen, even on barbecue and grilling, has some seafood in it, which means this goal is unattainable for me.
Independence H-D
Try Grady Spears, " A Cowboy in the Kitchen".
Beckdiesel03
AG
lol NONE. My kids are picky and I've got ADD. I'm a pro at flipping through books and finding a couple of recipes that would work for what I need and I'm on to the next.
Sethtevious
Beckdiesel03 said:

lol NONE. My kids are picky and I've got ADD. I'm a pro at flipping through books and finding a couple of recipes that would work for what I need and I'm on to the next.
Gotcha. Somehow I read 'look through' as cook through, my bad.

I always figure if they have more than one recipe I want, the cookbook is worth buying. I like the older cookbooks simply because they have info on old food preservation techniques we don't use anymore.
Rattler12
Sethtevious said:

Beckdiesel03 said:

I always figure if they have more than one recipe I want, the cookbook is worth buying. I like the older cookbooks simply because they have info on old food preservation techniques we don't use anymore.
If you don't already have it and are into meat preservation get the book Charcutier by Michael Ruhlman and Bryan Polcyn. It's well done and imformative
loveaTm
AG
Thanks for the tip! It's a $40 on Amazon for $21 at the moment!
Sethtevious
Rattler12 said:

Sethtevious said:

Beckdiesel03 said:

If you don't already have it and are into meat preservation get the book Charcutier by Michael Ruhlman and Bryan Polcyn. It's well done and imformative
This is intriguing, thank you for the rec
rilloaggie
AG
I have a complicated relationship with my family's cookbook. Its sentimental because my Oma gave me the only spare copy she had left when I got married. She told me my brothers could fight over her copy when she's dead! It was put together by her and her cousins/aunts in 1987. Oma is one of the younger cousins and she will be 90 this year so there aren't too many folks left to ask questions about the recipes. The folks that put it together all spent their childhood years in the Texas panhandle and south plains during the dust bowl/great depression/WWII. Lots of the recipes reflect the need to feed a large family on the cheap. There are way too many recipes for salads that include mayo, jello, or a mixture of the two. Very few of the recipes titled salad include greens. Depending on who sent the recipe in, it may be perfectly formatted and the instructions clear... or it might be like my favorite ice cream recipe which list all the ingredients, steps, and then finishes with the line "add a pint of whipping cream before freezing" despite the fact that the ingredients listed above did not include whipping cream! The cake/pie/cookie/dessert recipes are generally all great but I am glad I didn't grow up eating some of the mains in this! Here are a few excerpts. Notes in red are from my Oma:

There is a handy index at the front that includes all the stuff that I assume was taught in home economics back in the day. The height/weight standards do not hold up to today's body positivity movement!

I never once ate gumbo with my family growing up but the recipe is in the cookbook. This answers the debate on white vs. dark. Just use the whole bird!

Brisket the Texas panhandle way. Because why are you going to burn the only tree in town just to cook lunch?

The "Main Dish" will forever live as a recipe I never try. There is another in there called "Melvin's Main Dish" that sounds equally as awful.

The vinegar pie confuses me. It sounds like you drop biscuit dough in boiling liquid so maybe it's a riff on dumplings?

Lastly, the beverages and miscellaneous section of the book. In true Baptist fashion, none of the drink recipes include booze.

vmiaptetr
AG
This is great. And apparently I need to lower my weight to even fit in the large frame based on my height.
Sethtevious

This is a true prize!!

I love the 'homemade liniment' that lists 'Japanese oil' as an ingredient. At least they ensure you'll never drink it!!
Eliminatus
AG
There was an OB version collected from posters and compiled....gosh, maybe about a decade ago?

I THINK I still might have a digital copy somewhere. Does anyone have one readily available?
BlueMiles
AG
Scroll up to the post from Koko Chingo Jan 2. They linked to the cookbook.
Eliminatus
AG
BlueMiles said:

Scroll up to the post from Koko Chingo Jan 2. They linked to the cookbook.
Ah, missed that. Thanks!
rilloaggie
AG
Replying to myself RE the vinegar pie. Did some googling and I think I found the gist of the recipe. Dumpling-esque recipe. https://www.southernplate.com/vinegar-dumplings/

Other musings as I flip through this cookbook... I mentioned the cookbook to my mom and she told me that most of the family(her grandparents generation anyway) raised pigs to sell but chickens to eat. From what I've heard, raising and slaughtering pigs is unpleasant enough that lots of the folks didn't enjoy pork, aside from bacon or sausage occasionally. I don't think there is a pork recipe in the book, but lots of chicken and plenty of fancy recipes that clearly were invented when folks started to move to the city(the metropolis of Friona, TX) and had access to "fancy" canned foods and refrigerators. As I go through the recipes more things become evident.

I've learned that I speak a completely different language than these people. One recipe calls for "snizzerle" parsley. That word turns up zero results on google or duckduckgo. This might be the first time snizzerle has been typed on a computer! Lots of the recipes call for a "flat can", "No. 3 can", or a "peck" "bushel", or "gross". Most of the recipes I look through call for crisco, shortening, or "oleo" instead of butter. This makes a little sense because between cigarettes and cholesterol the older generations of my family just about all had heart attacks, and often fairly young in their lives. That fancy processed stuff was bound to be better for you than butter back in the day! It also appears that we were a miracle whip family . That shows up much more regularly in the "salads" than mayo.

My family was not keen on spicy things. There are a few salsa recipes. One recipe includes 1 jalapeno and cautions "Keeps for several days but may get too hot after a couple of days". The other does include 6 jalapenos per 8 cups of chopped tomatoes but recommends wearing gloves to handle the peppers and this recipe includes a few drops of red food coloring for keeping things pretty once canned. It's been fun reading through these and I am more thankful than ever that I don't have to eat this way!
Sethtevious

I read an article on the writing of cookbooks once, and they pointed out that in the past, authors assumed some level of knowledge on the part of the reader. If they wrote their book for housewives, for instance, they assumed the housewives had a basic foundation of cooking skills learned in a home economics class. If it was written for cooks or chefs, they had experience in a large kitchen. These historical cookbooks wouldn't be much help to someone starting out cooking today. OTOH, authors today assume no knowledge on the part of readers, so start with the basics to build the foundation, and then go from there.

Likewise in your family cookbook, they would assume anyone reading would know the measurements and ingredients they used at that time period.
BQ2001
AG
If you do a family cookbook, something that my mom did in one she made was scanning in the recipe cards or whatever it was written on. It's pretty cool having the book with the handwriting and notes from my great grandparents to my mom, aunts, uncles, etc.
BurrOak
AG
Before my grandmother passed, she wrote down all of her recipes for the family members that wanted them. No one was ever able to replicate many of her recipes, and I am convinced she intentionally left ingredients or steps out, or just changed them up some.

Maybe she just didn't like us.
Average Joe
AG
I have an old one from the Daughters of the Confederate Rose that includes some recipes from my granny. Her's are the ones that require 1-3 medium squirrels.
Koko Chingo
AG
BQ2001 said:

It's pretty cool having the book with the handwriting and notes from my great grandparents to my mom, aunts, uncles, etc.
Most definitely

Its funny seeing my youngest reading cursive like it's a foreign language.

I have a lot of my moms 3x5 recipe cards and my aunts have my grandmas and other relatives recipe cards. I have been slowly scanning some of those and cleaning them up in Photoshop. Everything will be available on a Google Drive even if the card doesn't make it into the cookbook.

The scanner I have now, is a giant home office printer scanner fax machine. I want to get a smaller portable scanner and spend some time with family while scanning recipe cards. I will use photoshop to clean them up and have a nice final product. I do not need ultra high resolution or color depth to scan a recipe card.

Sethtevious

Does your phone not offer a scan option on the camera?
vmiaptetr
AG
Someone on the Aggieland board posted a question about these types of cookbooks. Figured I would post some more photos from ones in my pantry. My sister actually made one, and I didn't even know I had it.

vmiaptetr
AG

vmiaptetr
AG

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.