Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anyone make their own Pho?

2,115 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
and if so whats your recipe?

go!
HTownAg98
I've used the recipe from Serious Eats before and it has been good. However, it's a lot of work, and at the end of the day it's cheaper and easier to just get it from a local pho shop that I like.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've made it once (Joshua Weissman recipe), and unless you just love the process, it's not really worth it. It tasted about the same as what you'd get at a good Vietnamese restaurant.
JCA1
AG
I don't have a recipe for the broth itself but I do have a recommendation for the broth. Use it to make risotto. Pho risotto with seared halibut is delicious.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
google wandering chopsticks pho recipe...my Vietnamese friend linked it to me
concac
AG
Look for instant pot pho recipes. Doesn't take as long as the traditional method and although not as good, it sure is good enough.
FIDO*98*
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I've used the recipe from Serious Eats before and it has been good. However, it's a lot of work, and at the end of the day it's cheaper and easier to just get it from a local pho shop that I like.

+1

Pho and Donuts are 2 things I'll likely never make again. There's not really room for improvement vs a good noodle place and the time, energy, and giant fng mess just isn't worth it.
AggieOO
HTownAg98 said:

Solid Ramen is another one that isn't worth making at home. Just go to a good place and order.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That's a good thread topic. Things that aren't worth making at home. Pho and ramen are obvious. I'll also add tamales. Too much work for something I can eat in 45 seconds.
JYDog90
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Spring pho place.
GeorgiAg
AG
ATL Pho place:

HtownAg92
AG
I know I should have trademarked by Vietnamese BBQ fusion place Pho Que a long time ago.

Also my Jamaican - Hawaiian place: Poke Mon

I leave Pho to the experts too.

Kyle Kinane best described what Pho is: It's a Vietnamese soup that answers the question "what happens when a former child soldier pours hot rainwater over fish nightmares"
HTownAg98
Bruce Almighty said:

That's a good thread topic. Things that aren't worth making at home. Pho and ramen are obvious. I'll also add tamales. Too much work for something I can eat in 45 seconds.
Puff pastry and phyllo are two others.
jenn96
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Fried chicken is one for me. If I work my tail off I get chicken that tastes just like Popeyes lol. Much easier to get it from them.
RCR06
AG
A coworker and I were recently talking about this very thing after eating lunch at a pho place. I've looked at making pho before and just reading the directions was a little ovewhelming(not complicated, but time consuming). My coworker is one of those people where if he finds something he likes he wants to learn how to make it. I told him I didn't think it would be worth it in the case of pho and it sounds like everyone agrees.
HTownAg98
jenn96 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Fried chicken is one for me. If I work my tail off I get chicken that tastes just like Popeyes lol. Much easier to get it from them.
I use the ad hoc at home recipe from Thomas Keller, and it is definitely worth the trouble. But it's one of those recipes that if I'm going to do it, I need to have people over to justify all the work. For two people, it's not worth it to fry one chicken.
Tree Hugger
AG
I don't mind making tamales. I'll split it up into one day for making the meat and masa and the next for assembly and steaming. My son and I have gotten pretty efficient with the assembly process and have gotten to the point where we can make them reasonably quickly in bulk.
agcrock2005
AG
I make my own, but like others have said, it's one hell of a process and take a lot of time and ingredients. I don't have a Pho place within 30 miles of me that's any good, so that's why I make mine once a year and store the broth in the freezer.
Bulldog73
AG
There's a place in Vegas by the same name, and it's the best Ph I've ever had.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bulldog73 said:

There's a place in Vegas by the same name, and it's the best Ph I've ever had.

Been there, it was excellent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.