Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Goode Company Campechana

12,522 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ornlu
BillYeoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have the recipe?
jh0400
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/life/article/Recipe-Goode-Co-seafood-cocktail-campechana-15679152.php

I've made it before with shrimp boil leftovers, but it's kind of a pain. I'd much rather just get one to-go for $20.
cypress-ag
AG
Go to HEB and get the shrimp that is already cooked or have them steamed yourself. It's a go to meal for us in the summer with this heat.
JYDog90
AG
When they call for chili sauce in the recipe are they talking about like Heinz chili sauce? Like ketchup?
jh0400
AG
I used Heinz Chili Sauce like you'd use in cocktail sauce.
HTownAg98
Willy Wonka said:

When they call for chili sauce in the recipe are they talking about like Heinz chili sauce? Like ketchup?

Yes.
JYDog90
AG
Just made this this afternoon and it freaking rocks!!!

Thanks for the recipe.
Txmoe
AG
Would love to try the above recipe buy it's behind a pay wall. Can someone post for us poors?
JYDog90
AG

Txmoe
AG
Thanks, Wonka!
Gilligan
AG
There used to be a video of the restaurant making it. They have an impressive flame roaster that tumbles while it cooks the peppers. Just did a lazy search for it with no joy.

When I go to Goode Seafood off 59 I get this as my meal. So good.
Hwy30East
There was a time before Jim Goode passed that this recipe was top secret. I had a friend that worked there during highschool and college. Outside of the obvious adders of the shrimp, crab meat, and avocados, the base sauce was made at a different location and brought in. I believe from the building that's between the Seafood and Taqueria restaurants.
htxag09
AG
So it's behind a paywall then you have to filter through a dozen advertisements to see the recipe
coastalAg
AG
I transcribed this so nobody else has to decipher that garbage from the chron.

Campechana Recipe - Goode Co Seafood

Sauce
1/2 cup Chili Sauce
1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp serrano pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup lime juice
1 cup clamato juice

Vegetables
1/2 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt

Seafood
1/2 lb shrimp, boiled and peeled
1/2 lb lump crab meat
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1/2 cup New Mexico chile, roasted, peeled, and diced

Instructions
Mix sauce ingredients well and set aside. Mix vegetables and combine with the sauce mixture. Gently fold in the seafood mixture. Chill and serve with tortilla chips.

Garrelli 5000
AG
Dumb questions because I don't have access to this restaurant in DFW.

Tomatoes - are romas sufficient or another type?
Shrimp - what size/count would you suggest?
Staff - take out the trash.
kithas
AG
You're probably okay with romas and any size shrimp - you end up dicing it all into a ceviche-like dip served in a parfait-style glass. It really is an awesome dish and one you shouldn't skip if ever there. I've tried a campechana at dozens of other places and none even come close. I actually never order it anywhere else because I know if would only disappoint.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Gracias. It occurred to me last night, particularly for the shrimp, just get shrimp I like then dice if they're too big.

JYDog90
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Gracias. It occurred to me last night, particularly for the shrimp, just get shrimp I like then dice if they're too big.

That's what I did. I bought medium shrimp and cut them in half. It's one of the best things I've ever made.
Txmoe
AG
The shrimp seems easy enough but I have questions about the lump crab meat. Do people usually prepare their own or just buy the pre-cooked stuff? If it's pre-cooked, is the meat 100% crab meat? Just curious because I've never used the stuff before.
JYDog90
AG
Txmoe said:

The shrimp seems easy enough but I have questions about the lump crab meat. Do people usually prepare their own or just buy the pre-cooked stuff? If it's pre-cooked, is the meat 100% crab meat? Just curious because I've never used the stuff before.

Lump crab is somewhat hard to find. The only place I've found it in fish counters is at HEB Central Market, not regular HEBs nor Kroger. Costco doesn't have it either.
coastalAg
AG
Some HEBs have cooked snow and dungeness crab legs and claws available for purchase. Good option if you dont mind picking it yourself.
HTownAg98
This may seem sacrilege, but I have used the fake krab instead. It's not the same, but it's better than nothing.
humperdink
AG

LondonAg89
AG
Just ordered this cookbook!
Txmoe
AG
Interesting that the recipe from the cookbook lists chopped olives as an ingredient but the Chronicle one doesn't.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Yeah - looks like olives, ketchup, oil, and parsley. Whenever I make this I might have to make the first listed recipe, divide, then take 1/2 of the new additions in the second for a side by side. Then my wife (the big ceviche fan in the house) can' blame me for making the wrong choice
LondonAg89
AG
I don't think there are olives in Goode Company's at the restaurant.
Next Year is the Year
AG
I agree. I've had that dish quite a few times and olives don't seem to be in there
GasPasser97
AG
This it?

https://www.goodtaste.tv/recipes/goode-co-seafood-campechana/
JYDog90
AG
Nope
Txmoe
AG
I've made this a couple of times now and people really love it. Also had several people ask for the recipe which I take as a compliment.

This is the only version of campechana I've ever eaten and I like it but think it eats a little sweet for my palate. All of the tomato products and seafood add a little sweetness. I'd like to try adding a little horseradish or maybe enhance the Mexican flavors by adding some chipotles in adobo sauce.
Hwy30East
I've have had others that they call it campechana, but it never has tasted close to Goodes. I think a little horseradish does sound good.
CivilEng08
We had a southern living cookbook that had the recipe in it and it had olives also from what I remember. Ill have to see if I can dig it out.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've only had it making this recipe. Agree it is good but sweeter than I'd prefer.

I may add more lime next time and/or tomato paste. Worcestershire and vodka
Burn-It
AG
Made this today for pre-game. Holy chit, it was fantastic. Everyone loved it. I doubled the shrimp, had jumbo lump crab & diced 2 advocados instead of 1.

This will definitely stay in the rotation.
AKA 13-0
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.