Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best BBQ in B/CS ?

2,650 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MyNameIsJeff
NilesHolmesAnSc83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son just woke up from the LSU game in College Station and asked me that question ?
Jesus wept. John 11:35
Law361
AG
1775. But it's only open Thursday - Saturday.
Txmoe
AG
Unfortunately the best place (1775 BBQ) is closed today. All the Kings Men in Bryan is good but expensive. C&Js is pretty good unless you want great brisket. Everything else is hit and miss; can either be great or meh depending on what he orders.
BurnetAggie99
1775 is the best but if I'd have to pick to eat BBQ on Sunday I'd probably go to Cooper's
aggiedata
AG
No self respecting bbq place would be open on Sunday

Go to Coopers
Txmoe
AG
aggiedata said:

Go to Coopers
Good recommendation given that Cooper is definitely not self respecting. He||, they're not even Texas BBQ as most people define it.
mustang1234
Txmoe said:

aggiedata said:

Go to Coopers
Good recommendation given that Cooper is definitely not self respecting. He||, they're not even Texas BBQ as most people define it.
The Original one in Llano is. Agree on the franchises. the Coopers in Katy has already closed down.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

What's not Texas BBQ about the College Station Cooper's? I want during the U Mass game weekend and though it was pretty good.
CDub06
AG
1775 is definitely the best. But Coopers is still pretty good, even at dinner - which is commendable for a Texas barbecue spot (which Coopers is).

Not sure why you'd say they're not Texas BBQ. Is it because they do direct heat instead of an offset smoker? There are several other legendary Texas joints that do that, especially as you get further west. Heck, that cowboy style - what's more Texan than a cowboy?
cypress-ag
AG
I hit up the original CJ's last week and it was pretty darn solid. I'll give it another visit for sure.
Txmoe
AG
CDub06 said:

Not sure why you'd say they're not Texas BBQ. Is it because they do direct heat instead of an offset smoker? There are several other legendary Texas joints that do that, especially as you get further west. Heck, that cowboy style - what's more Texan than a cowboy?
It's a fair question and I should have been more precise to say Central Texas BBQ. And it is all about the indirect vs. direct heat. Texas BBQ has come to be defined mainly by brisket, and I don't think any of the top brisket places in the state use direct heat for that. Honestly the brisket was inedible last time we ate at Cooper's. A friend took his back and didn't want a replacement.

I was primarily being cheeky for a laugh but I don't want to rip a locally owned restaurant. Cooper's does have decent BBQ. Weirdly, my favorite thing they make is the free beans.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
cypress-ag said:

I hit up the original CJ's last week and it was pretty darn solid. I'll give it another visit for sure.
I work on Hwy 30 and usually hit C&J's once or twice a week. Usually get a brisket and jalapeno cheese sausage plate with ranch potatoes and fried okra. It's consistently very good. Obviously not 1775 level, but it's a solid choice.

I changed things up yesterday and got a brisket sandwich from 1976. It was very good too. I need to get a full plate there to really judge them.

But to answer the question of this thread, 1775 is hands down the best BCS barbecue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.