Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Where to get meat sliced thin for jerky?

2,158 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HTownAg98
Texags84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Searched forum and saw a lot of jerky recipes. I found thin sliced bottom round but at 1/4" it was thicker then a lot of jerky. Tasted good but looking for suggestions where to find or get is slices about 1/8". THanks
Know Your Enemy
AG
Any grocery store meat counter will slice it for you if you ask.
Texags84
AG
tried at randalls and got a no but they would not even cut a pork butt in half......Ill try and HEB and see if they will do it..thanks
Know Your Enemy
AG
That's weird. I've never had an issue but then again I don't think I've been to a Randall's since the late 90's.
agcrock2005
AG
Not what you're asking really OP, but if you can't find someone to slice it for you, a trick I've used in the past is to put the piece of meat in the freezer for a while to let it harden up some and then it's much easier to slice thin while it's partially frozen.
bam02
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Not what you're asking really OP, but if you can't find someone to slice it for you, a trick I've used in the past is to put the piece of meat in the freezer for a while to let it harden up some and then it's much easier to slice thin while it's partially frozen.

Exactly what I do. 45-60 minutes usually does it.
Irish 2.0
agcrock2005 said:

This is the way
MyNameIsJeff
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Yep, exactly what I was going to say.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I have a friend who makes a lot of jerky. He does the freezer method. If you plan on making jerky frequently, it might be worth it to get a small countertop meat slicer.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We make a lot of jerky so ended up buying the jerky slicer attachment for the meat grinder. Its a huge time saver and so easy.
agcrock2005
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

I have a friend who makes a lot of jerky. He does the freezer method. If you plan on making jerky frequently, it might be worth it to get a small countertop meat slicer.
Not to derail the thread, but any experience using meat slicer for jerky? I just got one recently and was wondering proper size for jerky.
Ryan the Temp
AG
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. Just googled it and results say between 1/8" and 1/4". That's a big difference when looking at this chart!
bam02
AG
That chart is way off on my phone so don't go by that.
amanda04
AG
Texags84 said:

tried at randalls and got a no but they would not even cut a pork butt in half......Ill try and HEB and see if they will do it..thanks

My HEB used to slice/cut meat upon request and they will no longer do that. They won't filet fish either anymore. Hope you have better luck at yours!
Garrelli 5000
AG
Asian markets like 99 Ranch Mart in Frisco have pre sliced paper thin beef.
Take the trash out staff.
austinag1997
AG
Why can't you get a flank steak and cut it yourself?
HTownAg98
Garrelli 5000 said:

Asian markets like 99 Ranch Mart in Frisco have pre sliced paper thin beef.
This would be another good option.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.