Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Caveman blend ground beef/venison (includes organ meat) ?

1,899 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tailgate88
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was talking with my sister this weekend and she said her doctor recommended she eat more organ meat. Apparently one way to get it is purchasing ground meat "Caveman blend" where they blend organ meat in with the regular grind. Google has suggested several places to buy it, so we will probably get some as an experiment, but I'm curious to hear opinions from those who have tried it?

Also thinking about asking our deer processor to make us some, but I'm not sure how much organ meat would get added in? Does anyone know the right ratio?
Deus Vult
Tailgate88 said:

I was talking with my sister this weekend and she said her doctor recommended she eat more organ meat. Apparently one way to get it is purchasing ground meat "Caveman blend" where they blend organ meat in with the regular grind. Google has suggested several places to buy it, so we will probably get some as an experiment, but I'm curious to hear opinions from those who have tried it?

Also thinking about asking our deer processor to make us some, but I'm not sure how much organ meat would get added in? Does anyone know the right ratio?
Which organs are you looking to add to your ground meat?

I would not add liver or kidneys to your ground meat. I have ground a lot of them at our processing shop and they end up coming out of the grinder about the consistence of pancake batter. If you add too much of this compared to the weight of the red meat portion you are going to end up with a really bloody slurry. Also, liver and kidneys can have a strong flavor, too much can really influence the taste of the ground meat. If you want to add them, I would start at no more than 5% by weight. Just have extra red meat if the grind is too bloody or runny.

I would stay away from deer livers and kidneys, the likelihood of getting some really funky flavor is really high.

Hearts grind to a more normal consistency. At minimum I would cut the cap off the heart, this portion contains some really tough meat and the grind will have really hard nodules of meat from this area even after double grinding. The best way prep the heart is after capping it, cut it in half and remove the lining in the chambers that has the stringy fibers attached to it. This part is not hard like the cap but will put those string into the grind. Heart has a different flavor than red meat but nothing compared to liver and kidney. You could probably go as high as 25% by weight without altering the flavor of the ground meat to the point that it is noticeable.

Deer hearts have a little stronger flavor than beef heart but not a lot.

If you have anymore questions fire away.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
Tailgate88 said:

why?
Tailgate88
AG
I think I will pass on the venison version. But I am going to order some grass fed beef and see how it is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.