Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chicago Eats

2,221 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BSD
amanda04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are must visit places in Chicago for eats and even drinks? Heading there for a week in July and would love any suggestions!

I'm a huge Rick Bayless fan and was wondering if anyone had specific suggestions for any of his restaurants?
jwag
AG
Portillo's for sandwiches. Pequods for pizza.
Slagathor
AG
Try both Lou Malnati's and Giordano's for Chicago style pizza. Different, but both are fantastic.
Eggy's Diner has some really great breakfast.
mustang1234
stay out of South Chicago
Bruce Almighty
AG
amanda04 said:

What are must visit places in Chicago for eats and even drinks? Heading there for a week in July and would love any suggestions!

I'm a huge Rick Bayless fan and was wondering if anyone had specific suggestions for any of his restaurants?
I've been to Topolobampo and Frontera Grill and both were excellent. Topolobampo is the best Mexican food I've ever had.
ElCheAg
AG
Read somewhere that they have, or will be opening up in Texas (maybe DFW area).

Had them for the 1st time in the Phoenix area. Fantastic food, and ambiance.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Portillo's and Giordano's are my 2 go-to's when I go up to Chicago for work. If you're in DFW, there's a Portillo's opening in The Colony in the fall, so you might be able to hold off on that.

I never have time to go, but I know a bunch of people that swear by Gibson's
TexAgs1992
Tons of family in Chicago both in the city and in the burbs.

Pizza
- Thin Crust: Vito and Nick's on the Southside
- Deep Dish: Pequod's

Beef and Hot Dogs:
- Gene and Jude's in River Grove
- Johnnie's Beef in Elmwood Park

Wings:
- Jake Melnick's Corner Tap downtown

Steak:
- Chicago Cut downtown

Italian:
- Sapori
- La Scarola

Breakfast:
- Ann Sather in Wrigleyville
- Bang Bang Pie and Biscuits
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Lots of good suggestions already.

Au Cheval for the hamburger
Wildberry for breakfast
Weiner's Circle for hot dogs and commentary
AgsMnn
AG
What takes you to Chicago?

I'll be there for a week as well.
MichaelJ
AG
Pequods for deep dish - otherwise we liked both manatti's and giordanos

Xoco by Rick bayless would be a good lunch. But his main restaurant (forget the name but it's next door) is good too

Probably too short for you to get in to the elite places like alinea or even Rick bayless' tasting menu restaurant.

Au cheval is good but if you want to skip the wait you can get the same deal at small cheval.

Big fan of any of the Stephanie Izard restaurants - girl and the goat, duck duck goat, little goat diner

My favorite steakhouse in Chicago was RPM Steak
MichaelJ
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Lots of good suggestions already.

Au Cheval for the hamburger
Wildberry for breakfast
Weiner's Circle for hot dogs and commentary

Go to weiner circle late and order the $20 milk shake
MichaelJ
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

amanda04 said:

I've been to Topolobampo and Frontera Grill and both were excellent. Topolobampo is the best Mexican food I've ever had.

For reference to my other post - Topo is the tasting menu and at least when I lived there was a kind of hard res to get on short notice

We regularly walked in at Frontera Grill with minimal waits.
Bruce Almighty
AG
MichaelJ said:

Bruce Almighty said:

amanda04 said:

For reference to my other post - Topo is the tasting menu and at least when I lived there was a kind of hard res to get on short notice

We regularly walked in at Frontera Grill with minimal waits.

Is the tasting menu only a new thing? I ate at Topo 7 years ago and there was a tasting menu and regular menu.
MichaelJ
AG
I never actually got to eat there - I feel like I remember it closing and reopening and now on their website it looks like it is definitely only a tasting menu.

MichaelJ
AG
I heard The Alibi is a great Chicago bar on the southside.
AustinCountyAg
Lou Malnatis no doubt for great pizza.

Portillos for Italian beef and get the chocolate cake. ****ing great.
B-1 83
AG
Was there in May…..

Pequod's for pizza
Gibson's for steak
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Ragoo
AG
Purple Pig
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Mr Beef for Italian Beef

Pequods for pizza

Girl and the goat
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Another rec for Girl and Goat. Wife and I consider that place a must go everytime we are in Chicago. Do not skip the green beans. I know I know, it's ****ing green beans. They are SO GOOD. Everything is there but that one surprised me especially when our waitress recommended them so highly

Purple Pig is also fantastic. We went for lunch

RPM Italian was also really solid the last time we went. I'm sure there is other really good Italian but this was the wife's call.

Rose Mary in the West Loop was awesome. It's Italian and Croatian food. I had a squid ink risotto with lobster and confited squid that was ****ing delicious . It's Top Chef winner Joe Flamms place.

MichaelJ
AG
Purple pig also good

Rpm steak was my favorite steak place. I amended my previous
MichaelJ
AG
In 2 years living there, we never partook (shamefully) but Greek town is supposed to have some amazing eats

Also - Chicago's Chinatown has some legit dim sum
Gomer95
AG
I know this thread isn't exactly for this lol but my son and I are going to Chicago in December for a sports trip and while we definitely will be eating in the city some, we will have to eat some meals in the arena for a Bulls and later Blackhawks game and at Soldier field too so can anyone suggest their favorite thing to get at those places that's maybe not a generic sports stadium concession?
BurnetAggie99
Add The Berghoff, Lou Mitchell's, Gene and Georgetti's, Ignotz Restorante, Ignotz Restorante, La Scarola, Bird's Nest, & Billy Goat Tavern
BSD
AG
MichaelJ said:

Go to weiner circle late and order the $20 milk shake

I've tried and tried but I haven't found a better menu item anywhere in America than this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.