Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite Brand of good Vodka?

13,633 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by ToddyHill
BullSprig07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's almost like it's meant to be....flavorless....
G Martin 87
AG
The best vodka I've ever had was in Russia. Can't get the really good stuff here.

For mixing, I keep a big Tito's bottle because guests are familiar with Tito's. I just refill the bottle with Costco's French vodka as needed. Nobody can tell the difference in a mixed drink.

Infused vodkas are a separate category. Brand does matter there. For example, I've found that Absolut makes a great pear infused vodka, but Smirnoff Vanilla is far superior to Absolut or Svedka. Pinnacle's infusions might be made from Jolly Ranchers. Yuck, no thank you.
GAC06
AG
You refill a $20 bottle of vodka with cheaper vodka?
G Martin 87
AG
Correction: I fill a big ass bottle from a cheaper big ass bottle.
FIDO*98*
AG

GSPag`
Monopalawa !

Poland potato vodka.

Smooth as a Polish girls ass.
big ben
AG
jonj101
My go to is Gentle Ben vodka: https://gentleben.com/

It's made using technology developed by Aggies - including the late Dr. Ben Mosier (3 time NASA Inventor of the Year award winner).
jonj101
Just found out Gentle Ben is going to have a tail gate booth for Aggie home games in Aggie Park - booth #57. They'll serve cocktails 2 hours before and after the game.

If anyone happens to be in the area may want to check them out.
10andBOUNCE
AG
One of the Aggie Clubs I was in, we shot Russian Standard during games. Out of the freezer it was really smooth.
FincAg
AG
There's a new vodka coming from my in-laws soon. No place to buy yet, first batch kicks off Monday, but we helped choose the ideal final product. It's smooth, not harsh, and we were sipping "neat" at room temp.
Nom de Plume
AG
cavjock88 said:

Meh.... I'm convinced vodka is more of a purity and hangover thing than anything else. There just isn't that much, if any, flavor difference between plain vodkas. Pick whichever one you have experience with and gives you the lightest after effects and stick to it. I think most vodkas are an exercise that shows how excellent marketing to build profits can really work versus any real value difference in run of the mill brands of a product.

Totally agree. I've been thru them all and Bushel is my go-to because it's inexpensive, smooth with zero taste, and no hangover/headache. I don't know what makes it different (7th distillation?) but it works for me.
ToddyHill
AG
You are spot on. I can tell you Vodka is the biggest marketing sham in distilled spirits. Everyone and his brother (speaking of U.S. produced Vodka) purchases 190-192 proof Grain Neutral Spirits from a large food-grade ethanol producer which has been distilled at least six times through a column still (similar to what you'd see at an oil refinery). Shipped in tankers to the manufacturer, who then distills it again so they can say they distilled it. TTB (the Feds) allows it and its perfectly legal.

Proof it down with Reverse Osmosis water to 40 or 80 proof. And yes, the largest producer of Vodka (located in Austin) produces their product in this manner.

Two reasons why this has become standard. One...the large ethanol producers can do it at a lower cost because of their size. Second...spent mash disposal is a beotch. The ethanol producer removes the water and sells it as 'distillers grain' to animal feed manufacturers.

One other interesting part of this manufacturing process...many, but not all, producers ferment in a closed system where the Carbon Dioxide is captured and sold to Carbon Dioxide suppliers.
Pondering65
AG
Dash out of Houston area. Based on raisins that are filtered via coconut shells. Neat story on the founder. Love the smooth taste.
Gabster43213
Did a vodka testing about 15 years ago. Three Olives was the clear winner. This was prior to Titos.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
tlepoC said:

Chopin is the only way to go if you are drinking vodka
Chopin is the way.
StinkyPinky
AG
Ketel One for me. Stoli option two and then followed by Goose.
birdman
Belvedere
94chem
Everclear
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
62strat
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Does it come in a glass bottle? If so, then it's good vodka.
this. And whichever is on sale the most determines which one I'm getting when I need to restock.

This time it was Breckenridge vodka. $10 off the 1.75, bringing it down to under $30.
FincAg
AG
Toddy House Vodka

bmc13
AG
I'm a fan of Banner Vodka. small operation near Manor.
SoTxAg
AG
Bump cuz i'm getting a bleu cheese olive martini craving.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Chopin still reigns supreme in my house.
Thunderstruck xx
The vodka flavor scale ranges from:

Tastes like a sharpie marker

to:

Tastes like nothing.
TX AG 88
AG
exactly right.

do a double blind taste test on your favorite vodka vs any other "name brand" at the same proof. i promise you won't detect the difference.

{edit - especially so if you're not in the habit of shooting it straight, or drinking it on the rocks/chilled, but even if you are!}
LawHall88
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce
TX AG 88 said:

exactly right.

do a double blind taste test on your favorite vodka vs any other "name brand" at the same proof. i promise you won't detect the difference.

{edit - especially so if you're not in the habit of shooting it straight, or drinking it on the rocks/chilled, but even if you are!}
Disagree strongly. There are significant differences in flavor, texture, and after taste in Vodka starting with what it is made from. Grape vodka (Ciroq) is much different than Grey Goose (Wheat) and those are much different than Tito's (corn) not that Tito's is premium. Compare Absolute to Skyy, if you think they are the same then I would encourage you to get your taste buds checked.
ToddyHill
AG
Please re-read my post. I said "U.S. Made Vodka."
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.