Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Galveston Restaurants

8,924 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by austinag1997
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmellba99 said:

AG N ASIA said:

Close to the Strand is Fisherman's Wharf, Katie's Seafood and Willie G's. I like BLVD Seafood on the sea wall

Dont give Katies a single dime!

I'd take this a step further and avoid restaurants like Rudy & Paco that have snapper-heavy menus since it's likely that their fish comes from Katie's or one of the other outfits that views public resources as their own.
DBird
Has anyone eaten at that high end steak place Number 13? We take the RV every year to Galveston for spring break and one place is always our last restaurant, Gaido's. We are gonna try the Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar this year. Just trying to fill in the 3rd night.
mustang1234
DBird said:

Has anyone eaten at that high end steak place Number 13? We take the RV every year to Galveston for spring break and one place is always our last restaurant, Gaido's. We are gonna try the Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar this year. Just trying to fill in the 3rd night.
Number 13 can be HIGH, Very pricey.
mustang1234
Agasaurus Tex said:

Recreational fishermen are not a fan of the owner of Katie's.
the old man thinks he owns the Gulf
jackie childs
DBird said:

Number 13 is very good, but can be pricey too. You can just check their menu online so you're not caught off-guard. They also recently changed ownership, although the executive chef is part of the new ownership team so I wouldn't expect any negative impact on food quality or service.

I've recommended 13 to a number of friends and never had anybody be disappointed. but if you're looking for alternatives, the other high-end steak places that I also like are Vargas in the strand area and Shearn's at Moody Gardens.
AG N ASIA
AG
Another casual seafood that is reasonable is Huli Huli Hut downtown close to Strand on Mechanic street. The outside looks more like a bar, but food is good and a great value.
rangelady
AG
schmellba99 said:

AG N ASIA said:

Close to the Strand is Fisherman's Wharf, Katie's Seafood and Willie G's. I like BLVD Seafood on the sea wall

Dont give Katies a single dime!

Why??
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The owner has, and continues to actively work to keep recreational anglers from catching 'his' red snapper. He has been smart and pretty effective at it too.
mustang1234
Milwaukees Best Light said:

The owner has, and continues to actively work to keep recreational anglers from catching 'his' red snapper. He has been smart and pretty effective at it too.
Actively recruits other commercial fisherman to speak at TPWD and Federal agency wildlife hearings and lobbying against recreational fisherman,

He had a TV show a few years back and and he cruised the gulf trying to catch recreational fisherman keeping snapper out of season. He took photos of TX numbers on the boats and and sent them to TPWD with zero proof of what they kept or where they were fishing.

Fisherman complained to Bass Pro Shops and Cabellos and they pulled their sponsorship of the TV show.

POS
Yordaddy
AG
Spent most of my time on the far west end but when we do eat in town:
Gaidos
Shrimp 'N Stuff
Cajun Greek

Non-seafood recommendations:
Mario's Pizza off 61st
Original Mexican Cafe
Olympia Grill (as others mentioned)

Drink/Ambience Recommendations:
Jimmy's for the Ocean View
The Spot
MAROON
AG
Went a few weeks back and ate at Black Pearl Oyster bar and it was great.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
80ag!!!
Our family enjoyed "The Spot"
rlb28
AG
TexAgs1992 said:

Maceo Spice and Import Company for lunch
It was on the Texas Bucket List recently and we drove to Galveston on a Saturday and the place was packed. The muffaletta was as good as advertised as was the gumbo. From the time we walked in (1:30) until we left it took about 1.5 hours. I bet the crowds have died down since then.

https://maceospice.com/

On another note, two different people bought a case of tomato gravy each. I had never heard of it ... https://maceospice.com/products/maceo-tomato-gravy?_pos=1&_psq=tomato&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Older Italians sometimes refer to tomato sauce as tomato gravy. It's the same thing.
DBird
AG N ASIA said:

We are giving BLVD Seafood a try this year. Next week can't come fast enough.
DBird
I know that people have said no Katie's but they made a damn good Shrimp and Sausage Pastalaya.

Also, ate at a tiny Italian spot called Maceo's for Sunday brunch and it was great. Kids had breakfast sandwich on a croissant and I had the 1/4 muffuletta with gumbo/red beans and rice. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Little Daddy's Gumbo has amazing stuffed and fried jalapenos.

Gaido's is always a treat, but $$$.

The restaurants were Katie's, Maceo's, Little Daddy's Gumbo, and Gaido's.
EclipseAg
AG
We went to Sugar & Rye over the holidays. Family owned restaurant with a New Orleans/Savannah vibe.

Nice meal and very good service.
Jock 07
AG
Sonny's, the cheers of Galveston. I think they're back open
austinag1997
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I have never understood the limited Snapper season for recreational anglers when I can go to a grocery or restaurant and buy or order countless Snapper. Total BS.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.