Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What is Everyone Cooking This MLK Weekend

2,903 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by austinag1997
Love Gun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm thinking of smoking some pulled pork over some hickory.

Cold front coming in to College Station on Sunday or Monday. Might make over-the-top chili. I dunno.
**** Joe Biden
Potcake
AG
Love Gun
Bait for what? Just looking for some new ideas. Never been to this board before.
**** Joe Biden
Ag 11
AG
Frying chicken
Sooner Born
Quote:

Dr. King loved a few of the hallmark specialty recipes of the South with great reverence and grace. In no special order, he was known to enjoy as frequently as possible, a generous serving of fried chicken, stewed greens, sweet potatoes, and for dessert, a slice or two of pecan pie.
I'll use it as a reason to cook a meal similar to that. One of my favorite meals that I don't get to eat very often.
AustinCountyAg
Bruce Almighty
AG
Carnitas on Saturday. Don't know about the other days.
thenational
AG
Boiling crawfish on Monday. First of many this year.
f burg ag
AG
I am going to smoke a meatloaf. Randomly found a couple recipe videos and it sounds/looks awesome.
drred4

Love Gun
Man, y'all are off. I wasn't going for the soul food route necessarily; mainly just asking if anyone plans on cooking this long weekend, and what.
**** Joe Biden
FIDO*98*
AG
Spending the weekend at the coast with SIL's family. Crawfish boil tomorrow, Chili Saturday, and Fish Fry Sunday.
smstork1007
AG
Baby Backs Friday afternoon, Brisket overnight for Saturday, not sure on Sunday, and probably gonna smoke either a Prime Rib roast on Monday, or go with pulled pork, not my decision and she hasn't made up her mind yet. She's in charge of all sides, so no idea on any of those. Might do some crawfish on Sunday since now I cant get them out of my mind, and it's been a long time since the season shut down. Nothing too fancy, and probably not gonna give you any ideas, but since you asked.
Sooner Born
Love Gun said:

Man, y'all are off. I wasn't going for the soul food route necessarily; mainly just asking if anyone plans on cooking this long weekend, and what.

Well, the long weekend happens to be in the honor of someone historic. How are we that off assuming that's what you meant?
Texker
AG
Cheesesteaks on the BS.

Gonna try a crunchwrap for the first time.

Some form of nachos or potachos.

Potato soup
HTownAg98
Family is getting together to make sausage this weekend. So there likely won't be a lot of cooking going on.
Love Gun
Sooner Born said:

Love Gun said:

Well, the long weekend happens to be in the honor of someone historic. How are we that off assuming that's what you meant?
Sorry. Should've been more clear. Cook what you what and for whom. Personally, I don't cook to "honor someone" as some weird form of virtue signaling. Not sure where MLK became synonymous with a certain genre of food anyway. I only mentioned it as a way of identifying the long weekend because a lot of people didn't know this is a federal holiday and will have Monday off, and many of us (including me) cook out on holiday weekends.
**** Joe Biden
fav13andac1)c
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Family is getting together to make sausage this weekend. So there likely won't be a lot of cooking going on.
Share your recipe!
DiskoTroop
FIDO*98* said:

Spending the weekend at the coast with SIL's family. Crawfish boil tomorrow, Chili Saturday, and Fish Fry Sunday.
Do you do cornmeal fish or battered fish? I've been looking for a good British style fish and chips recipe. Curious what you do.

I realize you may still have me muted, so I may never hear back.
HTownAg98
fav13andac1)c said:

HTownAg98 said:

Share your recipe!
Sure thing. I used to say that I'd never share our recipe, but after having enough bad homemade sausage, I've decided to share it to whoever asks for it, primarily so people can make better sausage. I'm doing this from memory, and I'll edit it later tonight once I get to my parent's house. The only thing I'm not sure about is the cayenne pepper.

For 100# of sausage (approximate):
57.5# boneless pork picnic shoulders, skin off
7.5# pork backfat
35# venison
1# 12 oz kosher salt or pickling salt
4 oz Insta-Cure #1 (aka Prague Powder #1 or pink salt. If you're not going to cold smoke the sausage or dry some, you can leave it out, and just replace with the same amount of kosher or pickling salt)
9 oz black pepper (#16 or #32 mesh is fine)
4 large garlic cloves
3/4 oz cayenne pepper

Slice the pork, venison, and backfat into pieces suitable for your grinder. Take about a cup of the salt, and grind it with the garlic in a food processor until no visible pieces of garlic remain. Combine the garlic salt with the rest of the seasoning. Sprinkle seasoning over meat, and mix thoroughly. Grind the meat through a 3/8" die. Mix to combine the lean and fat so there aren't any large pockets of lean or fat. Regrind the meat through a 3/16" die. Check the bind by taking a piece the size of a golf ball, and make a patty of it in your hand. If you can turn your hand over and the patty sticks without falling, the bind is right. If you want to add cheese, use a high-melt cheese at a rate of 1 pound of cheese to 10 pounds of meat. Stuff into casings of your choice (the ones we get aren't sized, but they are roughly a 32mm-38mm hog casing. If you're using a natural casing, flush them first, even though it's a royal pain to do so). Hang the sausage in the smokehouse, and cold smoke for 2-4 hours. Remove the smoke source, and air out the smokehouse (the smokehouse we use has a bathroom exhaust fan in it, so we get it cooled down quickly). Allow the sausage to hang and bloom overnight between 32-45 degrees. The next day, vacuum pack the sausage, label it, and freeze.

Edit: we use green pecan wood to smoke, and mesquite coals for the fire. You only need enough coals to get the pecan wood smoking. We used to use green hickory, but grandpa neglected to tell us where the hickory tree was on his brother's property before he died, and my dad and I could never find it. So we switched to pecan.
Edit 2: checked the recipe, and it's 3/4 oz red pepper.
FIDO*98*
AG
That's probably the most legit sausage recipe I've seen posted on TexAgs. Venison to pork ratio is right, fat ratio is right, and straightforward spices that aren't trying too hard with the right amount of smoke. I'm alway happy to share recipes for the same reason. Just want to elevate the standard for everyone.Thanks for sharing hopefully it spreads to the OB.
HTownAg98
Thanks for the compliment. The recipe came from a Texas Agricultural Extension Service publication from the 1970s on wild game cooking, and I'm sure we have the only copy of it outside of some archives at A&M. That recipe didn't have the curing salt, and the venison/pork ratio was 50/50. In that time, you could use that ratio because when you'd get pork butts, they had a good inch of fat or more on them. As pork became "the other white meat," that fat cap is almost non-existent now. We switched to boneless picnics because it's easier to utilize (no boning), and they tend to have more fat.

Just goes to show that "old family recipe that's been passed down from generations" may not work so well with modern ingredients.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Awesome recipe. Thank you for taking the time to share!! I like your technique of grinding up the garlic with the salt. For 100 lbs, you notice an appreciable difference with and without the garlic?
HTownAg98
Yes, because it's ground so fine, you're getting every last bit of pungency out of the garlic. You'll notice it if it's not there. But if you want more garlic, by all means add more.
StinkyPinky
AG
FIDO*98* said:

That's probably the most legit sausage recipe I've seen posted on TexAgs. Venison to pork ratio is right, fat ratio is right, and straightforward spices that aren't trying too hard with the right amount of smoke. I'm alway happy to share recipes for the same reason. Just want to elevate the standard for everyone.Thanks for sharing hopefully it spreads to the OB.

Nodding my head in agreement as I currently stuff my face with Fido's cheese enchiladas
JCA1
AG
Got the wild hair to learn how to shuck oysters and bought a $12 oyster knife on Amazon. Trial run yesterday after watching some YouTube videos and oyster shucking is pretty easy. Threw them on the grill and doused them with garlic butter a la Drago's or Acme. Turned out great. Thinking about a repeat this weekend.
BurnetAggie99
Got some Prime Beef Plate and Chuck Ribs from a show steer we didn't take to a major show from last year.
Love Gun
Anyone ever tried that Alabama White Sauce on chicken?
**** Joe Biden
BurnetAggie99
Love Gun said:

I've tried it at buddy BBQ and I'm not a fan but some do like it. If I'm doing chicken I like to Brine/Marinate then use a nice rub on cut up chicken then mop with my grandpa's mop, whole chicken I'll brine, then inject with butter, apple juice and beer, then put a good rub on it, then beer can it and also mop.
StinkyPinky
AG
Love Gun said:

It's required to have a bowl of homemade alabama white sauce when cooking any type of chicken
Love Gun
Bonzer103 said:

Love Gun said:

It's required to have a bowl of homemade alabama white sauce when cooking any type of chicken

I'm gonna try it this weekend. Following the Meat Church recipe of Duke's mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, lemon juice and some of their rub. Never played with mayonnaise on BBQ before. We'll see how the Kamado Joe and the SloRoller do with that spatchcock bird this weekend.
**** Joe Biden
dsvogel05
AG
It's pretty good. Followed his turkey recipe for Thanksgiving this year and the Alabama white sauce made it a hit!
austinag1997
AG
FIDO*98* said:

That's how it is done!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.