Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

chicken thigh shortage?

6,467 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SpiderDude
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the last two weeks at Costco chicken thighs have been basically gone. Last weekend there were almost no bone-in skin on thighs, but we got some. There were no boneless/skinless ones last week, and I got the last pack of them this week. Plenty of chicken breasts available, but I don't cook with those. Anyone else had a similar experience recently?
fav13andac1)c
AG
They were available at my Kroger in Richardson, albeit a very small supply.
Furlock Bones
AG
Unfortunately it seems like people woke up and realized chicken breast is crap. Thighs win 10/10 times.
87IE
AG
With the cost increase and shortage of wings I've started buying thighs...

A 10 lb bag of frozen wings at Costco went from 21-22 bucks a bag to 32.

It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
austinag1997
AG
I haven't had a problem getting boneless skinless chicken thighs
Beckdiesel03
AG
I haven't had a problem finding them....yet. My kids will not be happy if they cant get their "crispy skin chicken" on the reg.
htxag09
AG
Zero issues finding them at HEB in houston yesterday
Max Power
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Unfortunately it seems like people woke up and realized chicken breast is crap. Thighs win 10/10 times.
This has been my concern, that others would realize that the worst part of the chicken had been deemed the most desirable thanks to marketing. I have roasted chicken thighs for lunch every week. I make grilled chicken tacos every week from thighs.

I almost stole them from an older couple yesterday. I was making a second loop around the chicken aisle and I saw it, the one package of boneless/skinless thighs. I hear the man ask his wife if she's seen the thighs, to which she said "yes, over there." But she was between him and me so I was able to grab it before he knew it was there. As I'm walking off I can hear him say "I thought you said there were some here, where are they?" I felt zero guilt, sometimes a trip to Costco is a zero sum game.
Ag_EE_88
AG
Since a lot of wing restaurants have started selling thighs now, I would bet that that is having some effect on the supply chain. With that said, I buy the bone in/skin on thighs and Costco always seems to have plenty. Easy enough to debone/skin if I need to.
FtBendTxAg
AG
plenty at HEB Sugar Land yesterday....

...But they were out of everything else. Worst HEB location I've ever shopped at. The one in Telfair. I miss Briargrove.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Max Power said:

Furlock Bones said:

This has been my concern, that others would realize that the worst part of the chicken had been deemed the most desirable thanks to marketing. I have roasted chicken thighs for lunch every week. I make grilled chicken tacos every week from thighs.

I almost stole them from an older couple yesterday. I was making a second loop around the chicken aisle and I saw it, the one package of boneless/skinless thighs. I hear the man ask his wife if she's seen the thighs, to which she said "yes, over there." But she was between him and me so I was able to grab it before he knew it was there. As I'm walking off I can hear him say "I thought you said there were some here, where are they?" I felt zero guilt, sometimes a trip to Costco is a zero sum game.
Dang, that was suspenseful. Your last name isn't Bourne, is it?
hbc07
AG
austinag1997 said:

But why would you get skinless?
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
Chipotlemonger
AG
hbc07 said:

austinag1997 said:

But why would you get skinless?
I actually prefer skinless for grilling thighs for tacos and the like. Indifferent overall whether there is skin on a thigh or isn't, the meat is the main show.
Max Power
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Max Power said:

Furlock Bones said:

Dang, that was suspenseful. Your last name isn't Bourne, is it?
Which movie did he consider sending his daughter over pretending to be lost so he could make sure he got the last package of chicken thighs?
schmendeler
AG
Experienced this at my HEB the last two times. I attributed it to the same thing in the rest of the store. Either supply chain issues, or labor shortages.

Lunchables, nilla wafers, chicken pot pies, and a bunch of other crap the kids like have all been really difficult to find.
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

Experienced this at my HEB the last two times. I attributed it to the same thing in the rest of the store. Either supply chain issues, or labor shortages.

Lunchables, nilla wafers, chicken pot pies, and a bunch of other crap the kids like have all been really difficult to find.
your kids eat plain nilla wafers? I thought those were only for nana puddin
schmendeler
AG
They do with Nutella.
Max Power
AG
They are great with peanut butter too.
tlepoC
AG
I wish they made boneless skin on. I assume the processing to remove the bone makes the skin unlikely to survive.

Crispy thigh is the way to go if you are eating chicken. Depending on final preparation, I'll remove the bone.
evan_aggie
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Not disagreeing about chicken thighs. They are my favorite to grill, and also eat fried.

However, if you care to give chicken breast a handicap, try soaking them in a salt solution brine for 24 hrs, and pull them before 165....maybe 160.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Since we discovered the thighs at wing stop we no longer order wings. All the cripy awesome of wings but in a much more sizeable bite.

Take the trash out staff.
schmendeler
AG
I've ordered them three times and only actually gotten them once. when I got home and opened the bag and ate one. I don't know why, but my local shop insists on giving me the boneless wings (dried up chicken breast chunks). But the one time I got them, they were tasty.
coastalAg
AG
Lots of people missing work with COVID during this latest outbreak. Guessing it will get worse before it gets better with reduced capacity at processing plats and distribution centers.

Garrelli 5000
AG
In a world full of sad ****, this one stings!
Take the trash out staff.
BigAg95
AG
No worries, we just need our ag school to start breeding chickens with 6 thighs.
evan_aggie
AG
Ag83
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Since we discovered the thighs at wing stop we no longer order wings. All the cripy awesome of wings but in a much more sizeable bite.

I was surprisingly disappointed in them as I much prefer dark meat. Maybe dark meat and buffalo sauce just don't work as well as I had hoped. So back to the regular wings for me.
JYDog90
AG
I have found them regularly at HEB but have also had difficulty at Costco and Kroger. I had to buy frozen boneless skinless thighs last night at Kroger.
Formerly Willy Wonka
evan_aggie
AG
Just bought 5lb for $5 at Sams.

My HeB had a bunch too.
Max Power
AG
There were some today but not many so I went ahead and grabbed a pack.

Other food shortages in my area recently. Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, plenty of others but I randomly only found Jimmy Dean at Target of all places. No cinnamon rolls of any kind to be found. We normally get the Annie's Organic but there weren't even Pillsbury, it's weird.
CyAg
AG
No thighs in Cypress yesterday and to tie into another thread... no hams in the whole damn store - on sale or otherwise... at least that I saw.

Headed back this morning to stock up for the ice storm!
SpiderDude
AG
Max Power said:

Furlock Bones said:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.