Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Scotch Recommendation

1,573 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SpiderDude
aggiederelict
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I need a scotch recommendation for a client of mine. His birthday is coming up. He is a big fan of Mortlach 18 year but I can't find that here in Austin and am not dropping money on the 25. I am more of a bourbon guy myself so this space isn't really my wheelhouse.

Any recommendations for something similar to the Mortlach?
BigAg95
AG
Any good Speyside aged in a sherry cask should fit the bill. Balvenie 15 is a good one.
Cyprian
AG
Dalmore, which one just depends on your budget. I have high opinions of thier Cigar Malt and 15 yr.

Edit: there's a scotch thread on page one in this forum you might ask this same question to, or search

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
46CHEVYTRUCK
Balvenie Portwood is a good choice
AgBQ-00
AG
Balvenie 17 or 21 both are great pours
AggieBarstool
Add me to the Balvenie train. Lots of options in the $50 (to $$$$$) and up range.
chap
AG
I was not familiar with Mortlach and just looked it up. Is the 18 a $300 bottle? How much was the 25?
AgInSingapore
AG
Around $1000
DPlainview
AG
Oban is the single best gift Scotch when unsure what to buy and you want something pretty nice.

Have hosted many blind scotch tastings. Oban is almost always everyone's second favorite. Others such as Laphroaig, Dalwhinnie, or Lagavulin are just too polarizing.

Yet to meet a scotch person who doesn't really like Oban (although it might not be their favorite). A Macallen would be my second choice.
'03ag
Abelour A'bunadh a good option for a sherry scotch around $100.

Count me as also thinking Balvenie delivers good value at every price point
FbgTxAg
AG
Glenmorangie Signet makes a nice gift as it is always a unique and welcome addition to any collection. $150
Goodest Poster
AG
Spey River 24 year drinks like a refreshing Weller Full Proof. Should be readily available at any large box.
bularry
Cyprian said:

Dalmore, which one just depends on your budget. I have high opinions of thier Cigar Malt and 15 yr.

Edit: there's a scotch thread on page one in this forum you might ask this same question to, or search

I like the 15 Yr Dalmore better than the Balvenie options....
bmc13
AG
what's your budget?
Ag_07
AG
The Balvenie Caribbean Cask is my go to.
SpiderDude
AG
Ag_07 said:

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask is my go to.
I have a bottle and yes, it's great but the Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve is half as much and twice as good!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.