Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

FIDO's cheese enchilidas

5,339 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by medwriter
Gabster43213
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Made last night time. Pretty good but may be off a bit because I used 4-mexican cheese rather than cheddar cheese.

Would the cheese made a huge difference?
schmendeler
AG
The added starch to keep pre shredded cheese from clumping might make a difference in texture. Just a guess.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Yes it makes a difference. Cheese enchiladas are an American food and should have American cheese.
HTownAg98
They should have Land O' Lakes Extra Melt which is typically a wholesale only purchase unless you're willing to buy 20 pounds of it on Amazon.
FIDO*98*
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Yes it makes a difference. Cheese enchiladas are an American food and should have American cheese.

^
This.

I'm fortunate because I can get my hands on Extra Melt, but, you can have the deli counter cut you off an block of Boars Head American and grate that for about a 50-50 blend with mild cheddar. I'd also recommend not using pre-shredded cheese.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
HEB has a new cheese that is "Restaurant Style" and is half sharp cheddar half american.
Belton Ag
AG
I really miss being able to buy Kraft Deluxe in the block. That was my go to for anything Tex-Mex. I haven't seen it for sale at a grocery store in 10 years.
Bobcat-Ag
Could you make your own using the queso recipe? Make whatever cheese sauce you want and put it in the fridge. Then shred it to put in the enchiladas.
MichaelJ
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Could you make your own using the queso recipe? Make whatever cheese sauce you want and put it in the fridge. Then shred it to put in the enchiladas.

Why would you shred chilled queso and not just cut in to sticks?
cruiserag2020
Yes I have done that exact thing. Except I didn't shred it. Just cut it in strips after chilled and roll tortilla around that.
AggieFlyboy
AG
HEB Easy Melt is a pretty close match
Bobcat-Ag
Not sure as I've never done it. It does make sense to cut it in strips.
Gilligan
AG
Post link to recipe
StateofTexas
AG
Restaurant Depot (Dallas) says they sell single 5 lb blocks of LoL Extra Melt delivered on Instacart.
Bobcat-Ag
Gilligan said:

Post link to recipe

I agree! I tried searching for the recipe and can't find it.
FIDO*98*
AG
Staff, can you move the thread to the food board?

Bobcat-Ag
Larry S Ross
AG
Made the enchiladas and they turned out great! I had leftover beans to re fry but man I have to work on the rice. Damn in the trash it went. Turned out like seasoned Mexican snowballs, but had great color.
Good Day.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
In the op the gravy is red. In this pic the gravy is brown, what has changed?
FIDO*98*
AG
Different house, camera, different cell phones, lighting under stove vs counters. Occasionally if I have leftover chili, I'll make chili gravy and add the chili. If I'm starting from scratch, I'm still going pretty close to the OG recipe
medwriter
FIDO*98* said:

Staff, can you move the thread to the food board?

Man, that looks so delicious.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.