Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Coffee advice-French Press VS Pour Over

2,389 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Vernada
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to improve my morning coffee routine and wanted opinions on what the coffee snobs of the board think about a French Press VS Chemex or some other pour over option.

Would also love to hear best brands etc...

Thanks
0708aggie
AG
I've got the Aeropress and a Kalita Wave. Both make great coffee, but the press is much easier. I used both for over a year and then just got lazy.
NATE AG03
AG
Check out the Clever Dripper, too. It's more of an immersion style but looks like a pour over setup. I'm by no means a coffee snob, but it's pretty dang good. And a lot easier than a pour over.

aquarian
French press.

Not too fiddly to use and clean. And no paper to steal the oils from the coffee.
As a man is, so he sees. - William Blake
RG20
I'm definitely leaning French Press but the Clever Dripper is interesting.
heddleston
AG
I love both. Press is awesome. Full bodied cup. Chemex is awesome. Incredibly clean cup.

Press pros are they don't require stupid expensive filters (since covid chemex filters have been over 20 bucks a box)and there are three kajillion companies that make them and some put cool spins on them. Espros are amazing. Stainless double walled ones are cool too.

Chemex is 10x easier to clean. Just throw the filter in the trash and rinse it out. Done.

Aeropresses and Clever drippers are the best of both worlds. Full bodied cups with the cleanness of drip.
mrmill3218
AG
I go chemex and v60. Want to try the clever dripped. I'm not sure why, but I don't really have an interest in trying a French press.
aquarian
RG20 said:

I'm definitely leaning French Press but the Clever Dripper is interesting.
Does look interesting - may have to get one of those myself some day...

FWIW, aeropress with a metal mesh is good too. Just a little more time consuming (to me) for several cups. Good though for finer grinds that end up in the house.
As a man is, so he sees. - William Blake
hbc07
AG
I have an aeropress and a nespresso. Have been using the aeropress almost every day since the wife got some whole bean coffee as a christmas gift and love the results it brings. typically use one of the inverted methods of brewing and it comes out great.
[url]http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com[/url]
heddleston
AG
I used to do inverted in the aeropress, but after a groggy Heddleston accidentally pulled the plunger out of the bottom of the cylinder and gave himself second degree burns (and painted the walls with coffee grinds while flailing like a little child) I went and bought a Prismo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YBT2LJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TF9N2TTBTT8BMPKB09DH

Looks like someone makes a knockoff for half the price too.
austinag1997
AG
We have a Chemex and a percolator. We use the perclator because we drink coffee hours apart. The Chemex makes the far superior tasting coffee. We grind our beans daily regardless of method. Coffee bean quality and process using Chemex make the most difference.

We also have an Nespresso. It makes quality coffee for pods.
ORAggieFan
I have both and definitely went french press most of the time for ease and boldness.

Now I have a super automatic and just hit the espresso button a few times.
RG20
Went with an Oxo setup French Press and Coffee Grinder. Makes a really good cup of coffee. I will definitely need to get a digital scale to help with the water/ground ratio. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

ORAggieFan
Burr grinder? That's essential. A scale is great, but once you get it down won't be needed.
RG20
Correct, it's this one:

K Bo
AG
Chemex, fresh ground daily
Vernada
AG
Chemex daily.

I currently use the Cuisinart burr grinder which is rated as a good entry level machine but would like a better grinder. It creates lots of dust and static since it has lots of plastic.

Anyone have any great suggestions?
Duncan Idaho
The only answer for the op is a question:

Why not both?
G Martin 87
AG
Chemex with a fine metal cone filter. I started out using their branded paper filters, but a good quality metal filter works just as well. Currently using 42g of coffee to 700g of water.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I usually use a French press with fresh ground beans but this bad boy has worked just fine while we're in temp housing.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/152233
momlaw
AG
Great for travel.
momlaw
HTownAg98
I started doing French press coffee during Covid because I got tired of having bad drip coffee, and I won't go back. Spending the money on a good burr grinder will do wonders for your coffee, whatever method you choose to brew.
Vernada
AG
What grinder are you using?
HTownAg98
A Virtuoso Plus.
Vernada
AG
HTownAg98 said:

A Virtuoso Plus.

That one seems like the easy button.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.