Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Experience with whiskey stones?

2,432 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cecil77
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like whiskey & bourbon neat & chilled slightly. I don't like using ice because I don't like the dilution.

I just heard about whiskey stones (cubes or spheres). They're apparently made of either granite, soapstone, or liquid-filled stainless steel. Reviews on Amazon seem to be mixed.

Has anyone tried them?
AggieOO
Edit: mine are granite

I have some. They are ok at best. They will the whiskey, but they won't make it cold. Plus, they don't stay cold very long.
John Francis Donaghy
They aren't great. But if you want to use them, get the steel ones. And get enough for a fresh batch of frozen ones in each glass.

The soapstone ones especially advertise their stones as "staying cold longest!" But if you think for a second about how heat transfer works, that means they aren't effectively absorbing heat energy from the liquid, which means the liquid doesn't cool. They're not good conductors of heat.

The metal ones will be better because they are good conductors of heat energy. But the downside is once they cool a glass down to the extent they can, they'll be warm, and won't be able to do it for the next pour.
HTownAg98
They don't work as well as advertised. While they can get cold, they don't absorb the heat from the liquid fast enough to adequately chill the booze. Personally, I think you're better off pouring a smaller drink over ice and seeing how the melting ice changes the whiskey.
John Francis Donaghy
My trick if i'm drinking good whiskey that don't want watered down, is to use the big ice spheres. And keep an empty glass amd a spoon handy. When the whiskey is chilled to exactly how I want it, I scoop the ice sphere out with the spoon, and put it into the empty glass so it doesn't continue to water down my whiskey. Can use a sphere for 2-3 pours this way, and never have a single watered down sip.
TikkaShooter
Agree with all others. I too like to pour neat, but I've found that with most anything I drink, a small ice cube, like smaller than an ice tray ice cube - will adequately chill the whiskey and still make for a mighty fine pour that I still consider neat.
Sazerac
AG
Hate them.
If you want it chilled keep the bottle in the freezer or give a quick stir and strain in ice.
Stupid@17
AG
This will work on many not all scotches and chill whlle bottle.

https://corkcicle.com/products/corkcicle-air

If you are using an expensive scotch I would avoid chilling in any way.
DiskoTroop
If you're like me and buy some cheap granite stones, you leave them in the freezer for 6 months until you finally remember they're there and when you do use them finally, the porous stones have soaked up the lovely flavors of your freezer and give the whiskey a nice funk.
Caesar4
AG
TheFunnierPhideaux said:

If you're like me and buy some cheap granite stones, you leave them in the freezer for 6 months until you finally remember they're there and when you do use them finally, the porous stones have soaked up the lovely flavors of your freezer and give the whiskey a nice funk.
Reminds me of Freezer Burn. Nice. lol
JAG03
AG
I'm not a whiskey drinker at all so this is probably frowned upon but why don't you chill the whiskey and chill the glass and just have smaller more frequent pours.
TikkaShooter
Bc that cloudy cold glass and short pour makes for bad IG photos when you're trying to whiskey flex on the Gram.
SpiderDude
AG
Just use large ice blocks or spheres. The smaller surface area reduces dilution. It'll chill your drink without killing the proof too bad.
Caesar4
AG
JAG03 said:

I'm not a whiskey drinker at all so this is probably frowned upon but why don't you chill the whiskey and chill the glass and just have smaller more frequent pours.
The family wouldn't care for me taking up that much fridge space for something that only I care about and doesn't require (from a food safety point of view) refrigeration. And, that's with 2 refrigerators (one in the kitchen and one in the garage). Maybe when it's down to just 2 of us.
Sazerac
AG
2 fridges and you can't chill a bottle of bourbon in your own house. Get some scene control
Stupid@17
AG
Another option is to cellar the whisky. If you have a wine cellar (refrigerated or real) the reduced temperature will keep it good longer and allow it to be semi chilled.
Post removed:
by user
Rexter
Meh... I pour a snifter and then put it in my Yeti for 3 minutes. Comes out perfect! I tried it for four minutes one time, and it froze the whiskey.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I thought those stones were just something your in laws give you for Christmas or something. Didn't know anyone actually bought them for themselves.
Ag_07
AG
I like scotch and bourbon neat and chilled. I've also learned that a little bit of water actually opens them up a bit.

So my easy solution is a small piece of ice. Kills two birds with one stone (pun intended).
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Serious question. Why not put the stone into an ice mold with some water? Seems a perfect solution.
cecil77
AG
Frozen wedge whiskey glass

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.