Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Outdoor power burner

1,206 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Keeper of The Spirits
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am getting a challenger cabinet setup and trying to decide between getting a power burner or just keeping my free standing burner I have now. The free standing I have now is 100k BTU while most of the built in top out around 70k btus. I want to fry on it a couple times a quarter, probably two crawfish boils a year (80 qt pot) and several smaller boils through the year. The power burners all run about $1200 plus. I am having a hard time justifying the expense and losing the BTUs. Do the power burners burn more efficiently than the academy free standing units? Anything else to consider other than aesthetics?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not sure about your setup, but mine will be off nat gas. Btu of propane is much higher, but dealing with 20 pounders running out is a pain in the butt. Don't know what the btu rating of the one I am getting is, but I told them I wanted one that would burn like the flares at Shell in an upset.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That's helpful, I need to look at propane vs natural gas. My setup won't be "permanent" due to setbacks so won't be plumbing for natural gas. I need to go into a store and speak with some one.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Rather than tell you btus I wish they'd tell you how long to boil this much water at this external temp and this water temp
Ornlu
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Rather than tell you btus I wish they'd tell you how long to boil this much water at this external temp and this water temp
You can look that info up fairly easily.
https://bloglocation.com/art/water-heating-calculator-for-time-energy-power

To heat 5.0 gallons of water from 60F to boiling (210F) in 10 minutes takes 40,000 BTUs.
50,000 BTUs will accomplish the same thing in 8 minutes instead of 10.
100,000 BTUs will do it in 4 minutes.
12,000 BTUs takes 32 minutes.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The one thing the calculators fail to do is take into account the inefficiencies of the heat transfer, often caused but by the design of the burner and also the pot. So yeah in a perfect world BTUs can be converted to boiling time but it'd be nice to have "consumer reports" style test where they use the same pot in a lab experiment type setting.

My 100k freestanding burner doesn't even come close to boiling 10 gallons on 8 minutes, closer to an hour and a half
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.