Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anybody have a favorite green chili stew recipe they're proud of?

3,222 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Hodor
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a quart bag of frozen mild hatch green chilies I need to work with......
jwag
AG
GF does hers with a smoked pork butt. Adds chicken stock, garlic, hatch, sauteed onions. Hard to mess up and delicious. Probably many google recipes out there but I think the pork is where it's at.
FIDO*98*
AG
This recipe works for about 2.5 lbs pork which is the size of the HEB club pack.

First make a basic Green Chile Sauce. This recipe makes 2 cups +. This can be done in advance

2 Tbs vegetable oil or olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 small onion, diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 Tbs flour
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken or pork broth
1 cup roasted, peeled green chiles. Can be a mix of poblano, hatch or all the same. I'll typically use 1-2 poblano and 3-4 hatch
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
(optional: 2 tsp or more chopped, canned or fresh jalapenos if you want
it hotter)

Heat the oil in a 1-2 qt saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to wilt the onions. Don't let them brown. Raise heat to medium, stir in flour, cumin and black pepper. Cook, stirring about 2 min. When the onion/flour mix just begins to color, remove from heat and add broth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.

Add rest of ingredients. Return pan to heat, bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat another 30 min. The finished sauce should not be too thick; dilute with more broth or water if needed.

At this point sauce can be blended with an immersion blender if desired

When ready to make the stew, season pork cubes with salt and pepper and brown in batches. Deglaze pan with half a cup of chicken stock and pour drippings into a Instant Pot and add seared pork. Add 1 recipe Chile Verde. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes and allow pressure to release naturally.

I like to serve with Cilantro rice and garnish with finely diced sweet onion. Serve with homemade corn tortillas

Feeling lazy? Buy a jar of the Mi Tierra Green Sauce and a Jar of 505 Hatch Chiles. Sear the pork ad deglaze pan as described above. Add 2.5 cups of the green sauce and 1/2 cup of the 505 chiles. Follow same directions for the Instant pot. This is probably the best effort to result meal I can think of.
Max Power
AG
Got a pressure cooker?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html
ag88man
AG
This is by far my favorite.

Pork Chile Verde
HTownAg98
Max Power said:

Got a pressure cooker?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

This is the answer, even if you don't have a pressure cooker. You can cook it on the stovetop by just adding some stock or water.
barney94
AG
HTown - how much stock would you add to that recipe?
FIDO*98*
AG
You'd just add as needed while it simmers. It's not a set amount because variables like rate of simmer, diameter of pot, etc. In a pressure cooker, you're not losing much to evaporation like a stovetop.

InstantPots are cheap. Just use this as an excuse to go buy one.
Hwy30East
We love the Green Chili Stew from Rudys if anyone has that recipe or one close to it.
barney94
AG
Reasonable point FIDO. I just generally cook in bigger batches in the enameled cast iron, but maybe I'll get one.
HTownAg98
Start with 2 cups, and go from there. The vegetables will release water as they cook. The water in the beginning is just there mainly to keep things from scorching.
Dumpster Fire
That instant pot recipe is the answer. I cook it regularly and it is great!
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Gonna give this a try later this week.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
That seriouseats pressure cooker recipe is legit. Even better the next day.
The Milkman
AG
Made the serious eats chili verde this week. Boy howdy thats good. I think I would prefer it with chicken though over pork.
HTownAg98
I'm going to make the red chili version today.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html
HTownAg98
Okay, I might like the red chili version more. It's not as simple as the green chili version, but damn it's good. I served it on some hollowed-out bolillos with crema, avocado, sliced onion, and queso fresco. I'll serve it over rice tomorrow night.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Hodor
AG
I prefer versions like Fido's, without tomatillos. More of a New Mexico style, and I think it's better with pork or on enchiladas.

I actually do like a chile verde sauce with tomatillos for other things, though, and make it all the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.