Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Kitchen Knife/Knives

7,587 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Diggity
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had lots of knives from Dexter to Cutco, Wustoff, Shun and the best knife I've ever had is one I got on kickstarter a few years ago called Misen. I use this knife dang near every day and I've never sharpened it. Think my knife was $45 back then when I did the kickstarter campaign. Now they're $65 but just got an e-mail saying everything was 25% off with code "FEAST". No I don't work for them or know anyone that works there. Just passing along my experience with their product since they're on sale.

Misen Knives
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks, been thinking about picking one up.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I too backed them on kickstarter and it's my favorite knife. Been meaning to pick up another couple.
Duncan Idaho
I think they have a carbon steel pan on kickstarter now
bmc13
AG

WES2006AG
AG
Thanks for the link. Decided to try a utility knife and may buy a few more if I like it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We loaded up recently -chefs, utility, paring, and a bunch of steak knives. Replacing 13 year old wusthof. Early but like them. I love the price. It doesn't matter how much I tell my wife "what you are doing is horrible for a knife!" She f'ing does it anyway.

I told her if I catch one in the dishwasher we are done. Doesn't matter, she'll call my bluff.

The wusthoff would still be awesome if she didn't F them up
Take the trash out staff.
LondonAg89
AG
At y'all's recommendation I just ordered a couple of these.
dsvogel05
AG
Just ordered the 5 piece set and 4 steak knives. Not too bad for $210.

For those that have the knives, do you use a honing steel to keep them sharp between sharpening?
Vernada
AG
Am I missing where you can see how long these knives are?

It looks like the Chef's knife is 8".

Does that mean 7" for the Short Chef and 6" for the Utility?
J.P. 03
AG
Thanks for sharing. Anyone know if the steak knives are heavy or light compared to an average knife? Trying to find a set that's a little on the heavier side (to match their owner, naturally).
pdc093
agcrock2005
AG
dsvogel05 said:

For those that have the knives, do you use a honing steel to keep them sharp between sharpening?
As I mentioned in OP, I've never sharpened mine once and it's crazy sharp still...after about 3 years. I use it probably 4-5 meals per week.
Slicer97
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

We loaded up recently -chefs, utility, paring, and a bunch of steak knives. Replacing 13 year old wusthof. Early but like them. I love the price. It doesn't matter how much I tell my wife "what you are doing is horrible for a knife!" She f'ing does it anyway.

I told her if I catch one in the dishwasher we are done. Doesn't matter, she'll call my bluff.

That's why I have Mercers. The missus misuses them. Caught her using one of them to trim rose stems because it was handy.

TP Ag '87
AG
Just ordered a 3 piece set + steak knives.

Thanks guys.
agcrock2005
AG
Damn, I need to reach out to them and see if I can get a brokerage commission on all of your purchases...glad this was a successful "hookup".
Sazerac
AG
The knife prices are great
Diggity
AG
Looks like it's $75 to get free shipping so they suckered me into buying two.

Thanks for the rec. I'll report back.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Slicer97 said:

Garrelli 5000 said:

That's why I have Mercers. The missus misuses them. Caught her using one of them to trim rose stems because it was handy.

Ha. I found my at the time nice wusthoff chef's knife in the dishwasher.

WTF! why?!

Oh - I just think sometimes they need to get a really good cleaning...

That's not how this works! What if I laundered some of your nice clothes on the "eradicate all life" setting? Does it work that way too?
aa4136
I have done some reading about these knives. It seems there may be a difference between the ones made a few years ago vs. the ones manufactured recently. See the video below. Regardless, at the current price point seems like it is still worth trying it out!

Garrelli 5000
AG
Vernada said:

Am I missing where you can see how long these knives are?

It looks like the Chef's knife is 8".

Does that mean 7" for the Short Chef and 6" for the Utility?
I measured mine.

Chef's - tip to back of blade (where it begins to curve up to the handle)
7, 8 to where the handle starts.

Utility (mistakenly said short chef's earlier) - based on my crappy photo appears to be about
5.5, 6.5 to where the handle starts

Steak - 4 or so?

Pair - 2.5 to 3?

Estimates are rough, so I suspect 8 chefs, 7 short chefs, 6 utility.

Vernada
AG
Thanks!
LondonAg89
AG
Knives came in. I'll be using for the first time today.
agcrock2005
AG
LondonAg89 said:

Knives came in. I'll be using for the first time today.
Awesome. This thread actually got me to buy more too. lol. Got notification they shipped yesterday. Hopefully you'll like them.
JCA1
AG
Got mine 2 days ago. Used one of them yesterday. Liked it a lot.
LondonAg89
AG
Just used for making my lunch. They were great! I'm buying some for my niece who just got married.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I'm buying some for my niece who just got married.
Superstitious at all?

"The logic is that a knife can symbolize the severing of a relationship, so you shouldn't give it as a gift for events, especially weddings. A knife, they say, will cut the ties that bind a friendship together.

To bypass the superstition, the giver of the knife must tape a penny to the box. That way when the recipient receives the knife, he or she can give the penny to the giver and essentially "pay" for their gift, thus negating the superstition."

Note: We got some knives as a wedding gift from friends of my parents & the giver did the penny thing. Many years later, we're still married. So the penny did it's trick & it's a fun story they won't forget!
LondonAg89
AG
Lol yes I recall the superstition. But this won't be a wedding gift. Her wedding was several weeks ago and we got her plenty of stuff (but no one got her knives).

Maybe I'll do the penny just in case ...
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Maybe I'll do the penny just in case ...

Do it. My people come from the hills of West Virginny - they know this stuff.
Flying Crowbar
AG
Just ordered a couple of knives based on this thread.
agcrock2005
AG
Are there any folks on here that have ordered recently and have previously owned as well that have noticed a difference in quality. Just curious based off the poster above who mentioned the quality has dropped off.
WES2006AG
AG
I got my knife late last week and used it for the first time this weekend. Very sharp out of the box. I like it but we will see how it stands the test of time.
Tailgate88
AG
Knives are on the wife's list this year. I tried to buy the five piece set but they only have it in gray - really need black.

Any other suggestions for a good set under $200? Closer to $100 would be even better. Don't need steak knives, we got those last year....
OaklandAg06
AG
What knives would you want in the set?
Tailgate88
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

What knives would you want in the set?
I would like to buy a "complete" set - so similar to their five piece set.

At this point I'll probably get something on Amazon to make sure they get here by Christmas. Been checking every day and Misen is still out of stock, and they aren't responding to emails.

Can anyone recommend something available on Amazon? I don't need super high end but I do want a good solid set of quality knives that will last for a reasonable amount of years...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.