Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Steaks - grade vs cut

1,367 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ME85
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

So, in general how does a prime grade sirloin match up against a select grade of a strip or ribeye? Outdoor grilling.

Curious as the former is on sale at HEB and wonder if that's worthwhile. I usually just hold out for choice/prime ribeyes and strips but the family wants steak this weekend.
schmendeler
AG
my opinion: a prime sirloin isn't going to be as good as a choice ribeye.
Tailgate88
AG
If money not an object then obviously go with the Ribeye.

I often get Prime or "Natural" (HEB) Sirloins when I have a large crowd to feed. I have them cut 1.25" - 1.5" and grill them to barely past rare. Slice thin across the grain and you have some pretty good steak for the buck.
SJEAg
AG
Yeah, I'd definitely go choice ribeye all day. But usually if prime of one steak is on sale, choice or prime of the others aren't available (at least pre-packaged). I typically load up when prime ribeyes go on sale but for now it's either this or the select ribeyes...which are noticeably worse than choice. Never had prime sirloin from HEB, but the select sirloin won't be a mistake I make again.
FALE
Bought a double prime pack of sirloin at the heb a few weeks back and froze it. Thawed, cooked and it was amazing.
ME85
AG
Tailgate88 said:

If money not an object then obviously go with the Ribeye.

I often get Prime or "Natural" (HEB) Sirloins when I have a large crowd to feed. I have them cut 1.25" - 1.5" and grill them to barely past rare. Slice thin across the grain and you have some pretty good steak for the buck.

just go for the tritip if that's the case
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.