Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hot and fast brisket - won't go back!

17,254 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by fta09
BourbonAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have found the finishing temp is a little higher when you do hot and fast. Usually in the 210-212 range.
CFTXAG10
AG
Comeby! said:

Damn now I need to buy a smoker. Thinking a pellet vs ceramic strictly on cost.
I am about 4-5 smokes in on a Pit Boss 820 Pro Series from Lowes and I love it
AgBQ80
AG
Just came across this hot and fast thread..... and now want to give this method a try . For you guys using ceramic smokers, are you doing direct or indirect heat at the 350-400 range? Im assuming indirect since the heat is much closer than in Soo's barrel smoker.
BullSprig07
AG
Indirect for me. Platesetter with two aluminum sheet pans filled with liquid on top.
AgBQ80
AG
Perfect..... Thanks Turkey07 !
BourbonAg
AG
Direct would not work at those temps. Part of your brisket would be burnt to a crisp.
AgBQ80
AG
I couldn't see how direct would work either..... but thought I'd ask since Soo's video didn't show anything deflecting the heat in his drum smoker. I've never used his type smoker, so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks.
BourbonAg
AG
I haven't watched the vid but will try to watch this weekend.
Positive Yardage
AG
BourbonAg said:

I have found the finishing temp is a little higher when you do hot and fast. Usually in the 210-212 range.
Good to know. Thanks for adding this.
Positive Yardage
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Comeby! said:

Damn now I need to buy a smoker. Thinking a pellet vs ceramic strictly on cost.
I am about 4-5 smokes in on a Pit Boss 820 Pro Series from Lowes and I love it
A friend of mine bought one of these and is already two briskets in. She and her husband love it as well.
Baby Billy
AG
Last brisket I did was started at midnight right before I went to sleep.. on the pellet smoker.

Set alarm for 3:30am to make sure there were no problems and to spritz with water.

Woke up at 8am or so to a beautiful bark and internal temp of about 175..Wrapped in paper and turned the heat down a touch.

Started probing around noon and pulled it off at 1:00pm, rested it for 3-4 hours and got a wonderful brisket.

Positive Yardage
AG
Good lookin brisket. I love starting briskets overnight on my GMG. Just set it around 180, and with the WiFi you can actually 'Aaron Franklin' it and bump it up each hour. Just fill it full of pellets and let it go.
AgsMnn
AG
The smoke ring was from using the celery salt most likely. Celery will cause that.
MaroonDynasty
Pit for a few hours finish in the oven. Great brisket everytime
investorAg83
AG
Did a Father's Day brisket and intended to do it low and slow but I still haven't dialed in temp management on the new ceramic. Wound up getting to 400 pretty quickly and then slowly crept down to 300 so it turned out to be a hot and fast cook. Had a placesetter but I was still worried at the higher temp getting scorched on the bottom so I started fat side up and flipped it halfway. Wrapped at 175 and took it off when it was 210 in some areas.

Started the cook just before 5am. Took it off at around 1030 or so and let it rest for about 4 hours in the cooler. One of the best I've ever made.

https://imgur.com/vG9DnsK
JYDog90
AG
I bought a half a steer and got word yesterday that it was going to be delivered today. So...I had to lay out a brisket and some pork butts to make room for the meat in the freezer.

I had not planned on spending 15 hrs cooking a 17lb brisket today, so I fired up the stick burner and got it between 315-350 and threw on the brisket and two pork butts at 6am. At 10:30 the brisket was at 170 and the butts were at 175.

I wrapped in foil and pulled the pork butts at 205* at 11:30 and the brisket at 210* at 12:30 and threw in the ice chest.

Shredded the butt at 2. One was a little crisp, I had to throw away about a third of the bark but the other was good. The brisket was a hit! It was beautiful and moist and the bark was perfect.

I can't believe I cooked a 17 lb brisket in 6.5 hrs.

TLDR; I'd definitely do a brisket again that way, not sure about a butt.
BourbonAg
Aggietaco
AG
Tried my first hot and fast on the BGE yesterday and failed. I did have some problems with my DIGIQ getting to the 315 temps I wanted that may be the cause; I ultimately switched to using the standard baffles and the DIGIQ as a thermometer only. I wrapped at 170 with paper and finished with the egg at 330 to internal of 212. The fat cap is hard and burnt and the meat is like a roast.

I also didn't finish burning the meat until after dinner time anyway and had to order pizza for the family, so double fail.

I might try again at 300 or just fall back to overnight cooks.
fta09
AG
This takes 1 - 2 days of prep only because you cook the brisket sous vide for so long, but this is the easiest brisket I have ever done and it came out great. This might be in it's own thread here or in the sous vide thread. I cannot remember. The final cook on the grill is just a few hours to get a bark.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html
FriedTex
AG
That doesn't sound hot and fast

fta09
AG
It's 3 hours on a 300 F grill. If you can plan ahead a day or two it doesn't get much easier or faster for the final cook.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.