Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

For our purists, Kolache or Klobasnek

5,234 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do you call sausage filled pastry, often with jalapeos and cheese
Bruce Almighty
AG
I call em kolaches because that's what every damn donut shop in Houston calls them. I really don't care what some Texan with a Czech grandma thinks either.
Vernada
AG
Troll
The Milkman
AG
That's exactly my thoughts everytime one of them goes on their rant. They act like they just got off the boat from Prague and insist their argument is based on some defense of their culture.
JamesBREI06
AG
I know the correct answer and I don't care
Whoop!
SpiderDude
AG
The Milkman said:

That's exactly my thoughts everytime one of them goes on their rant. They act like they just got off the boat from Prague and insist their argument is based on some defense of their culture.

If they just got off the boat I hope they brought their hot sister...Czech and Polish girls might be some of the hottest on the planet!
chipotle
Outside of West I call'em kolaches but when I"m there I call'em what they're supposed to be called so they don't get all uppity and spit in it.
Vernada
AG
It doesn't matter what you call them. The only thing that matters is the sign the Vietnamese puts up says "kolache".
Can we do chicken fajitas next?
JYDog90
AG
Chicken fajita kolaches.

Also a shout out to the poster a couple above talking about the Vietnamese kolache maker. Several years ago they started making boudin kolaches but I suggested they may sell better if they took the casing off the boudin.
Formerly Willy Wonka
schmellba99
AG
Kolache

Just like a sterile adhesive bandage designed to be put on a cut is univerasally called a Band-Aid. Just like anti-bacterial ointment for cuts is universally called Neosporin. Just like strips of chicken grilled and cut and placed in a tortilla with sauteed peppers, onions, cheese, pico is called a chicken fajita and not a chicken soft taco. Just like a whole lot of other things that we call by a brand or specific name that probably have some formal name that nobody uses.
mazag08
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I call em kolaches because that's what every damn donut shop in Houston calls them. I really don't care what some Texan with a Czech grandma thinks either.
How many people starred this that wont call it chili if it has beans in it?
JYDog90
AG
Not me. I don't care if you put beans in your chili. Just don't feed it to me.
Formerly Willy Wonka
schmellba99
AG
mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Because beans in chili turns it into meat stew
Bruce Almighty
AG
schmellba99 said:

mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Chili without beans is also meat stew.
mazag08
AG
schmellba99 said:

mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Purists exist in any realm.

Czech heritage people have exact names for exact products and prefer to call them by their actual name, not their American fast food generalizations.
Bruce Almighty
AG
mazag08 said:

schmellba99 said:

mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Purists exist in any realm.

Czech heritage people have exact names for exact products and prefer to call them by their actual name, not their American fast food generalizations.

And that's perfectly fine. It's the ones that get all butthurt about other people using different names that's pathetic.
mazag08
AG
Are they female?

I hear good things about female Czech butts.
Martin Cash
AG
Avoid the debate. Call it pig-in-a-blanket.
FtBendTxAg
AG
It's a kolache.

Nothing on Earth worse than the kolache dork
CDub06
AG
TBH, we always called them pigs in blankets. Kolache were the fruit pastries, but we didn't use the word Klobasnek.

We have words for it. Kolache means something completely different. It's like calling a taco a "sandwich" because some Asian owned doughnut shop calls them that.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Found one!
SpiderDude
Unemployed
AG
Vernada said:

It doesn't matter what you call them. The only thing that matters is the sign the Vietnamese puts up says "kolache".
I understand the irony by pointing this out considering the context of this thread but they're most likely Cambodians.
hph6203
AG
Pig in a blanket because I don't speak foreigner.
CDub06
AG
Words used to mean something. I guess all of ya'll could care less. I'm literally in pieces over this.
schmellba99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

schmellba99 said:

mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Chili without beans....is chili. HTH.
Bruce Almighty
AG
schmellba99 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

schmellba99 said:

mazag08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Chili without beans....is chili. HTH.
And a stew.
95_Aggie
AG
He was one of the great original TexAgs posters.
jsdaltxag
I don't care what you guys call it, but I'm going to call my Polish friend and see how she's doing! FYI They can be friendly and like to drink too.
FIDO*98*
AG
The Milkman said:

A Kolach as we know it it Texas barely resembles those in the Czech Republic and a "Klobasnik" doesn't even exist over there. It's just silly. Stuff some chit in a yeast bread and it's a Kolache.
Reno Hightower
Sausage Kolach is what they're called in East Bell Co.
fancypants
Regardless of its name - does anyone know of a good recipe for one (in particular, the bread?)
CDub06
AG
The Milkman said:

We call it Praha, you xenophobe.
The Shank Ag
https://www.wideopeneats.com/czech-girls-plea-to-texans-stop-calling-sausage-pastries-kolaches/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.