Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's up with thinly sliced steaks?

3,110 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by javajaws
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I stopped at the grocery store tonight and was thinking about getting a steak for supper. I've noticed in the past that most of their steaks are cut pretty thin -- maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch or so -- but tonight every steak they had in the meat section was cut thin.

What's the purpose of steaks that thin? Is there some kind of special dish I've never heard of that calls for really thin steaks? How would one cook such a thin steak?
DiskoTroop
Braised 7 steaks in gravy are damn good. That's about the only call for thin steaks I know of.
HTownAg98
They can be good, but you have to cook them really hot and really fast. Usually, these are select grade steaks, so a good marinade will help them be something good.
Duncan Idaho
Thin steaks are cheap steaks. Poor people still want to say they are eating steak.
DiskoTroop
I know thin boneless pork chops are sometimes considered breakfast items. Might thing beef steaks be considered breakfast steaks?
AggieBarstool
Thin steaks means you can package what looks like a lot of meat in one container. It makes the consumer feel like they're getting a great deal.
htxag09
AG
What cut of meat are we talking here? Steak is a pretty broad term....
Bruce Almighty
AG
They're fine for sandwiches and stir frys, but I'd never eat them as a steak.
bbry81
I roll them with spinach arugula parm and mozzarella and cook in the oven. My daughters favorite sinner
aggie appraiser
Thin steaks weigh less so they are cheaper. The hispanic population does lots of things with thinly sliced meat.
HTownAg98
They tend to do it really well most of the time. Carne asada tacos can be really tasty.
SACR
AG
eric76 said:

I stopped at the grocery store tonight and was thinking about getting a steak for supper. I've noticed in the past that most of their steaks are cut pretty thin -- maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch or so -- but tonight every steak they had in the meat section was cut thin.

What's the purpose of steaks that thin? Is there some kind of special dish I've never heard of that calls for really thin steaks? How would one cook such a thin steak?
Braciola
JYDog90
AG
There's been a lot of them lately at HEB. On the pkg it says, "ideal for beef Milanese."
Jetty
AG
My Mom used to buy thin T-bone steaks and broil them for just a few minutes on each side. I remember they were pretty good.
AgTDub
AG
willie wonka said:

There's been a lot of them lately at HEB. On the pkg it says, "ideal for beef Milanese."

Made some jerky out of this. Turned out great.
javajaws
AG
Beat em with a tenderizer then chicken fry them
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.