Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Must have cookbooks

15,381 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cannon Crew Ag
hudson96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My husband and I love to cook together, especially on Saturday's in the fall. Sometimes we even theme our football games. For example, We smoked a pork shoulder this last weekend and the kids wanted me to make my hot boiled peanuts, as they are a tradition on our road trips through the South. This coming Saturday we will make a big pot of gumbo. With football in gear and the holiday upon us, it got me thinking about all the recipes we like to cook. We discovered a chef on one of our New Orlean's trips about five years ago. His name is Donald Link and his restaurants are amazing. We picked up both of his cookbooks and cook out of them all the time. In fact, they are starting to fall apart from use.

If you love to cook, you need to order Donald Link's Down South and Donald Link's Real Cajun.

Anyone have any go to cookbooks that you can't live without?

aTm_bomb
AG
Not completely a cookbook as it has lots of science and techniques also but J Kenji Lope Alt "The Food Lab" has been a game changer for me and taught me a lot. I recommend to anyone that will listen.

Another one I have found interesting was called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" by Samin Nosrat. Lots of illustrations and breaks down the keys to great flavors.
ORAggieFan
aTm_bomb said:

Not completely a cookbook as it has lots of science and techniques also but J Kenji Lope Alt "The Food Lab" has been a game changer for me and taught me a lot. I recommend to anyone that will listen.

Yep, this is the best book I have.

Franklin's BBQ is a great reference as well.
aggiespartan
AG
We've gotten a lot of use out of Modernist Cuisine at home, Flour Water Salt Yeast, and Ad Hoc. I got the husband a book called Buck Buck Goose last year, and we've used it a bit since he's started hunting more.

If anyone is interested in baking cook books, I've got a ton of recommendations for those.
schmendeler
AG
food lab - kenji
meathead - meathead goldywn
brave tart - stella parks
America's test kitchen tv cookbook (updated annually, i'll get a new version every 3 years or so)
cook's country tv cookbook (same as above)
charcuterie - ruhlman and polcyn

also: the elements of pizza by forkish
lazuras_dc
AG
The MeatEater Fish and Game Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for Every Hunter and Angler
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

food lab - kenji
America's test kitchen tv cookbook (updated annually, i'll get a new version every 3 years or so)

I've been kind of so-so on Bravetart so far. Right now I'm kind of obsessed with The Artful Baker. I also really like Layered for cakes. The Fearless Baker has some really good, easy and accessible recipes for people that may not be experts in the kitchen.
schmendeler
AG
aggiespartan said:

schmendeler said:

food lab - kenji

I've been kind of so-so on Bravetart so far. Right now I'm kind of obsessed with The Artful Baker. I also really like Layered for cakes. The Fearless Baker has some really good, easy and accessible recipes for people that may not be experts in the kitchen.
nice. you know your stuff, so i'm sure those recs are more than solid.
hudson96
AG
I'm going to order the Food Lab, especially since others recommend it as well!
hudson96
AG
ORAggieFan said:

aTm_bomb said:

Yep, this is the best book I have.

Franklin's BBQ is a great reference as well.

We love Franklin's BBQ cookbook as well! My husband used to spend so much time prepping brisket but it's amazing how just salt and pepper does the trick!
Kanyes psychiatrist
Get a French one that teaches basic French cuisine. Great launching point for any type of food worldwide.
investorAg83
AG
Franklins BBQ is great and so is Modernist Cuisine. However, the on that gets used most frequently in the kitchen for recipes is the Magnolia cookbook. The recipes aren't complicated or have an ingredient you'll use once and then sit on the shelf until you make the same dish again. And they're all really good (at least what we've made).
aggiespartan
AG
investorAg83 said:

Franklins BBQ is great and so is Modernist Cuisine. However, the on that gets used most frequently in the kitchen for recipes is the Magnolia cookbook. The recipes aren't complicated or have an ingredient you'll use once and then sit on the shelf until you make the same dish again. And they're all really good (at least what we've made).
I boycotted the Magnolia cookbook when I realized that the lemon meringue pie recipe is the one off the condensed milk can.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
The Joy of cooking

The earlier the copyright the better. I have 1943 edition right now, I give away my copy every time I find an older edition
AgsMnn
AG
Got to have the traditional Better Homes red book along with your local SPJST cookbook.
DPlainview
AG
The Food Lab is a must have cookbook. Period. The end. Drop the mic.
nai06
AG
One of my more recent favorites has been Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ratio and the Flavor Bible are great for theory
aggiespartan
AG
nai06 said:

One of my more recent favorites has been Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables
I've heard good things about this book. It was a monthly book in one of my cookbook groups and people made some great looking dishes from it.
FIDO*98*
AG
Reata is my favorite Texas cookbook followed by The Texas Cowboy Kitchen (Spears) and The New Texas Cuisine (Pyles)

Breath of the Wok
Hawaii Cooks
The New Orleans Cookbook
Molto Italiano
Los Barrios family Cookbook
Matt Martinez Culnary Frontier
Coyote Cafe
William Sonoma Breakfast Comforts

HtownAg92
AG
Favorites from my former collection, lost in Harvey:

Sauces - James Peterson
Momo***u
Jamie at Home
Heritage - Sean Brock (Husk, McCrady's)

My favorite was a 1st printing copy from the 1950s of this that I found at Half Price Books:

Tailgate88
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Another one I have found interesting was called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" by Samin Nosrat. Lots of illustrations and breaks down the keys to great flavors.
Also check out her Netflix series by the same name. Good stuff!
aTm_bomb
AG
Yep, that is what led me to the book. Some good illustrations of the various "holy trinities" of different cultures.
Old RV Ag
AG
Kanyes psychiatrist said:

Get a French one that teaches basic French cuisine. Great launching point for any type of food worldwide.
Yep. Get Larousse Gastronomique - it's over 1000 pages and is like a bible in cooking techniques and dishes.
Phrasing
AG
Real Cajun by Donald Link. Everything I have made from there is amazing. The fact that the crawfish etouffee recipe starts with "(1) Have a Crawfish Boil" is incredible.

Donald Link is the owner of Cochon in NOLA among others.

Real Cajun
Max Power
AG
The Tex Mex Cookbook by Robb Walsh
hudson96
AG
Phrasing said:

Real Cajun by Donald Link. Everything I have made from there is amazing. The fact that the crawfish etouffee recipe starts with "(1) Have a Crawfish Boil" is incredible.

Donald Link is the owner of Cochon in NOLA among others.

Real Cajun

Real Cajun is one that I listed in my original post, along with Down South. Both are amazing. Love Cochon. One of our favorite restaurants in Nola as well as Peche, which is one of his other restaurants.
Phrasing
AG
Holy crap, I'm embarrassed! I just saw the thread title and scanned the responses. Sorry for repeating the rec, but glad you enjoy the book too!

The recipe for Absinthe Cocktail is hilarious as well, "one is good, two is better and three is a really really bad idea".
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
Stop and Smell the Rosemary by the Houston Junior League
rangelady
AG
SEC Tailgate Cookbook is one you'd enjoy!
hudson96
AG
Very cool that you brought this up. I'm pretty sure it's the one we bought signed at Florabama on our trip to the Florida Panhandle.
Max Power
AG
I picked up Real Cajun after seeing the reviews on here, looks great, I need to get to work.
Duck Blind
AG
Legends of Texas BBQ - Robb Walsh
Tumble Weed
French Laundry Cookbook

Also The Great Canadian Chef From France by Pierre Dubrulle taught me how to make an excellent Veal stock, which is the base for many great sauces.

His recipes are tedious, but they work.
Phrasing
AG
Tumble Weed said:

French Laundry Cookbook

Also The Great Canadian Chef From France by Pierre Dubrulle taught me how to make an excellent Veal stock, which is the base for many great sauces.

His recipes are tedious, but they work.

Great recs! I know one poster mentioned it, but another great book by Thomas Keller is Ad Hoc at Home.

Ad Hoc
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.