Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

2020 Beer Innovations

5,665 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bmc13
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those all look pretty good to me and some at 12%. That Cold Brew sounds delicious.
Punked Shank
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Those all look pretty good to me and some at 12%. That Cold Brew sounds delicious.

Agree on the cold brew. Im on west coast and havent seen that one yet. New mission...
CheersforBeers
Seltzer's are going to FLOOD the market this year. It's going to be intense.

Sangria could be a trendy flavor profile if I had to guess.

Canned wine going to gain traction..

Just my bold predictions!
Chipotlemonger
AG
I wouldn't call any of those "bold"
62strat
AG
CheersforBeers said:

Seltzer's are going to FLOOD the market this year. It's going to be intense.

Sangria could be a trendy flavor profile if I had to guess.

Canned wine going to gain traction..

Just my bold predictions!
you wonder if the wine snobbery community would ever accept wine in a can. Imagine a 24oz can of wine, or put them in 12oz or even 32oz to completely replace the 'bottle' (I have a few 12oz cans of wine in our fridge).
Then you have the single serve 6-8oz cans as well.

Less weight than glass, recyclability, portability, all the same things that beer went through years ago, and consumers have largely accepted, but in wine you have storage considerations and cans undeniably store better than corked bottles.
HTownAg98
Screw tops take care of the cork issue in wine. In fact, Australia is almost exclusively screw tops. There are some wines available in cans, but it's usually stuff that isn't meant to age.
TXAG 05
AG
I've noticed a bunch of wine in a can lately. Not much of wine drinker, but it's definitely practical for throwing some in a cooler and rolling. Don't have to worry about breaking a bottle.
62strat
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

I've noticed a bunch of wine in a can lately. Not much of wine drinker, but it's definitely practical for throwing some in a cooler and rolling. Don't have to worry about breaking a bottle.
A Winery in denver called infinite monkey theorem does a lot in cans. They are kinda more of the progressive type though, not your typical napa traditionalist. They have dry hopped wines, cocktails in a can, and other experimental stuff.

Actually was just looking at their website and it says Austin as well.. Not even sure which location came first.

Anyway I'd think it would have to start there; the 'new' wineries, then maybe someday the traditional ones would follow suit.

It's weird that in beer, the american lagers were first in cans, and the 'craft' beer was too good for cans so came in bottles. Then Oskar blues came along and threw that perception in the trash, and now two decades later, loads of craft are cans only.
Trinity Ag
S
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Expect to see ambers, browns, bocks and other tasty beers get some overdue attention and the bitter beer scene slowly descends back to somewhat normal portion of the market.
From your keyboard to God's ears....

I'd like to see craft breweries focus a little more on quality and a little less on "innovation" -- strong flavors and too much hops are often masks for crap beer.

Picked up some St Archer Gold the other day and was pretty impressed -- yes, I know Millercoors bought them out and are producing it, but it is nice to see a small brewery dive into lighter beers, which continue to dominate the market.

Wouldn't surprise me to see craft breweries go after some of the "session beer" market. Plenty of people who buy Michelob Ultra would go for a craft light beer.

62strat
AG
Trinity Ag said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

Time for the pendulum to swing back the other way. Expect to see ambers, browns, bocks and other tasty beers get some overdue attention and the bitter beer scene slowly descends back to somewhat normal portion of the market.

Picked up some St Archer Gold the other day and was pretty impressed -- yes, I know Millercoors bought them out and are producing it, but it is nice to see a small brewery dive into lighter beers, which continue to dominate the market.

Wouldn't surprise me to see craft breweries go after some of the "session beer" market. Plenty of people who buy Michelob Ultra would go for a craft light beer.

I've pretty much seen a light offering of some sort at breweries for many years now.

Whether it's a lower abv beer, a kolsch/lager.. This is not unheard of at all.
CheersforBeers
Yes a lot of the craft beer innovations or new brands being launched this year are targeting this exactly. The lower abv, lower cal/less filling approach because hypothetically you sell more beer that way.
62strat
AG
CheersforBeers said:

Yes a lot of the craft beer innovations or new brands being launched this year are targeting this exactly. The lower abv, lower cal/less filling approach because hypothetically you sell more beer that way.
I don't know if there is much truth to that. Most brewery goers drink their typical amount of drinks when visiting a brewery, whether it's 1,2, or 3.. They don't just drink until they get drunk. This isn't the dixie chicken in college.

Technically, yes the brewery will make more money, but it's because a lower abv beer is simply cheaper to make than a normal abv counterpart, but it will likely be the same price as all the other beers.
Ulrich
No one has done a really good light craft beer yet though. A few have them, but every one I've tried has been awful.

I wouldn't be surprised at some alternate niche grains for beer. "Oh, you have a fair trade coffee milk stout brewed with Andalusian cacao nibs and organic fairy toes? Try our ancient grains Freekehn Good Times Lager, Chia Pet Black IPA, or Quin-whaaaat Kolsch."

Wine barrel aged, even though they are terrible.

I think more peppered beers, just as something different. I've had two, one was so bad I dumped it out, the other was delicious.
Ulrich
Kunstler Sichuan was the peppered beer I really liked.
bmc13
AG
750ml cans exist now too
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.