Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Northfire Inferno Propane Infrared outdoor grill/oven

2,265 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kithas
GeorgiAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got one of these on Saturday. I've only used it about 3 times, but I love it. I work long hours and can't fire up the Kamado Joe every night. This gets up to 1500 degrees and only in a few minutes. I've only cooked ribeye in it and it only takes about 1 1/2 minute per side to get [Edit: MEDIUM RARE. OMG ]. You get that nice steakhouse char on it. The middle is still pretty red/pink, but I like medium rare minus. You can put it on a lower rack to cook to other temps but I haven't perfected it yet. Also any spice other than salt burns off it, lol. I only bought the small one, but it would be ultra portable and you could even take it to a tailgate.

Anyone else own a similar grill? There's not a whole bunch of recipes out there and I'm interested in trying other meats on it. Looking for ideas.

https://www.northfire.com/

Edit: omg, I never eat a steak "medium well." Typo!
RK
AG
Quote:

I've only cooked ribeye in it and it only takes about 1 1/2 minute per side to get medium well.
Joe Exotic
AG
Quote:

I've only cooked ribeye in it and it only takes about 1 1/2 minute per side to ruin a steak.

FIFY
GeorgiAg
AG
RK said:

Quote:

I've only cooked ribeye in it and it only takes about 1 1/2 minute per side to get medium well.

OMG. typo!
GeorgiAg
AG
typo. it's medium rare. medium rare minus actually. I don't ruin steaks.
JYDog90
AG
How many steaks at a time can you get on your model?
Formerly Willy Wonka
GeorgiAg
AG
One. Wish I had bought the larger one, but only so I could fit a pizza. Steaks cook in about 5 minutes or so total that's no big deal to cook them sequentially. I like the portability of it, so I'm torn between the single wide and the double wide. [why not both?.gif] I have a laser thermometer and it went up to 600 on the laser on side wall. When I put it on the burner, it just said "hi."

GeorgiAg
AG
dummble
AG
Is this going to turn out to be another firedisk type post?
FIDO*98*
AG
Steak doesn't look bad, but, you or anyone else can easily make a steak with a better crust and far less temp gradient with a $30 burner and a $20 cast iron pan. Just not seeing enough value there to drop $500

So I guess this is gonna turn into a Firedisc discussion. Great idea for a product just at a price point that doesn't deliver enough value vs other options
GeorgiAg
AG
Others are $900 and some are in the $2500 range, so I thought I'd give this a try. If I don't grill them on the Kamado, I sous vide and sear with a blowtorch or cast iron pan and clarified butter. I'm a gadget guy. I love to try stuff out.

You can't get a pan anywhere near that temp of 1500F because of the smoke point of the oil/butter.

Believe me, I've blown more money on more asinine stuff. I'm not into the FireDisc but I want a Blackstone Griddle, lol.
WES2006AG
AG
That looks awesome. Especially with how quickly it heats up.
FIDO*98*
AG
GeorgiAg said:

You can't get a pan anywhere near that temp of 1500F because of the smoke point of the oil/butter.

Believe me, I've blown more money on more asinine stuff. I'm not into the FireDisc but I want a Blackstone Griddle, lol.

Really the pan temp is a bad comparison because of conduction vs convection. In fact, that's why the grey goes deeper in that steak while the center stays on the blue side medium rare vs a more consistent center and smaller gradient on the cast iron. I don't oil my pan, I oil my steaks so the smoke point is moot. Butter goes on when I rest them.

FWIW, I'm with you on gadgets though. I guess I'm spoiled I have a 1,850df broiler in my kitchen so probably blinded me to the value in that. I do use the hell out of it for other things so now I'm imagining more of the benefit in that product. Keep posting what else you come up to use with that. A couple of ideas that I use mine for; Scampi, browning Mac n Cheese, Broiled Fish, charring tomatoes, onions, and peppers for salsa, etc.

Pull the trigger on the Blackstone too. You'll love it
GeorgiAg
AG
I saw your other thread and it looked delicious. You're to blame for the griddle purchase
kithas
AG
That steak looks good, but you could improve by changing the pre-cook temp of the steak to achieve a more uniform cook through the meat. Perhaps let it warm up closer to room temp for thicker steaks or colder for thinner steaks. To me, getting that right is more important than just how hot the fire is.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.