Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

American cheese used at Mexican restaurants?

7,268 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GeorgiAg
Post removed:
by user
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boy whatever it is sure makes good ass cheese enchiladas though.

And it's great shredded on breakfast tacos.

I buy H-E-B brand white American from the deli and it does very well in breakfast tacos but I've never bothered with trying to make enchiladas with it...
FIDO*98*
AG
Land o Lakes Extra Melt

It's not available in traditional stores unfortunately. Comes in 5lb loafs that are sold as 6-packs.

Can't remember, but, aren't you in SA? I can hook you up.
DiskoTroop
Land O Lakes American Extra Melt White Process Cheese Loaf, 5 Pound -- 6 per case. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B04AE0Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aFlwDbKCF2NS6
Bruce Almighty
AG
30 pounds of cheese? That would probably take me five years to get though.
Bulldog73
AG
And twice that to poop!
ValleyRatAg
AG
HEB sells a TexMex grated cheese blend that is 50/50 American/Cheddar shredded. It's been very TexMexy on my bean & cheese tacos, enchiladas and carne guisada tacos. I now just shred and mix my own.
FIDO*98*
AG
jayelbee said:

It has a different flavor and texture than either Velveeta or the singles. I assume it's some cheap ass restaurant grade processed cheese

Funny because that's my opinion of Velveeta. It's ass my dude. Only thing worse than Velveeta is when someone mixes it with Rotel and brings it to my house.

Post removed:
by user
JYDog90
AG
maybe we could co-op a case of cheese
Formerly Willy Wonka
Bruce Almighty
AG
I like Velveeta. Queso is one of those things that even at its worse, is still damn good.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
And if never poop again
Koko Chingo
AG
You might be talking about Queso Oaxaca. It is a white melty cheese good for quesadillas, grilled cheese, and enchiladas, etc.

You should be able to find that in all grocery stores in TX. HEB has it.

This is one area where the HEB brand takes a back seat. I like the La Vaquita or El Mexicano cheese over the HEB brand. If HEB brand is the only thing available get it. It is still good.
HTownAg98
That's not what he's looking for. Interior Mexican restaurants use that.
MaroonDynasty
Unpasteurized American cheese. You can usually get some Boars head brand at heb from the deli. Great on enchiladas.
B-1 83
AG
Koko Chingo said:

You might be talking about Queso Oaxaca. It is a white melty cheese good for quesadillas, grilled cheese, and enchiladas, etc.

You should be able to find that in all grocery stores in TX. HEB has it.

This is one area where the HEB brand takes a back seat. I like the La Vaquita or El Mexicano cheese over the HEB brand. If HEB brand is the only thing available get it. It is still good.
Oaxaca is a mainstay in my quesos.

You can tell when a Mexican restaurant uses the cheap "kraft singles" type nasty cheese.
Post removed:
by user
bam02
AG
Oaxaca. My son called it Mexican coocoo cheese.
aTm2004
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Land o Lakes Extra Melt

It's not available in traditional stores unfortunately. Comes in 5lb loafs that are sold as 6-packs.

Can't remember, but, aren't you in SA? I can hook you up.
This is what they use, and as Fido said, it only comes in 30 pound packs. Find somebody who works at Sysco, US Foods, etc to see if they can get it for you. I'd suggest getting some friends who want it as well.
GeorgiAg
AG
$180 for 30 lbs of cheese?
Post removed:
by user
GeorgiAg
AG
$135 for it with Jalepenos
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.